A flight on the Douglas DC-3 Dakota

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Re: A flight on the Douglas DC-3 Dakota

Postby Mictheslik » Sun May 30, 2010 11:09 am

Very nice opportunity there.....I love the colourscheme of that Dak too....very shiny :D

.mic
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun May 30, 2010 11:52 am

Lucky chap. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Due to stupid EU regulations you couldn't do that in this country now. http://www.classicflight.com/goodbyeDakotas

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Theis » Sun May 30, 2010 2:00 pm

As a member of Danish Dakota Friends, I have flown aboard OY-BPB several times, it's a pleasure to fly the old lady  [smiley=cool.gif]
Image Bar by Mees
Theis
Major
Major

Postby olderndirt » Sun May 30, 2010 8:48 pm

When I worked in Alaska, the FAA used DC3's as Navaid flight check aircraft so the chance for a ride was always there.  One of my memories is being in the back and feeling that rudder action on takeoff.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby BAW0343 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:28 pm

$78 for a vintage plane ride? That's a bargain in my book! Any of the old WW2 aircraft rides I've seen rage from $150-$500 at best. And I'm fairly certain I've seen a P-51 (loggable flight time tho) go for over $1000.

Sure is a beautiful aircraft! Is there any chance that you were flying over Sandefjord near Torp airport? :-? I remember seeing a DC-3 flying there while I was staying with my relatives last summer. The one you were on looks very similar.
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Postby eno » Mon May 31, 2010 10:20 am

Due to stupid EU regulations you couldn't do that in this country now. http://www.classicflight.com/goodbyeDakotas

What a sensible country Norway is not signing up to the EU.
Looked like a great expericence ..... I flew on a DC3 in my childhood .... only problem I was too young to remember it.
[align=center][img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/imaginsigeno.jpg[/img][/align]
eno
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby beaky » Mon May 31, 2010 2:57 pm

I am envious... that price is very good for such a ride, especially in such a well-kept "Gooney"!

Airline travel sure was a lot more civilized back then, but remember: DC-3s are unpressurized, so back in the day they had to stay below 10,000 with pax, and had minimal weather info before or during flights. It was routine to penetrate nasty weather, even at night, at low altitudes. I have met some older folks folks who do not remember their DC-3 airline-trip experiences fondly!   :-/

Still, as with the Tri-Motor and other early airliners, I would personally rather spend 5 hours bouncing around in turbulence in a big comfy seat with lots of legroom, with barking radials out on the wings, than spend even one hour crammed in Coach in any jet flown today.  ;D

And the pilots who flew DC-3s regularly loved them, even when they complained bitterly about the leaks, difficulties loading/unloading cargo, and plowing into nasty weather.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby expat » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:05 am

The UK are the only one's to take notice as usual. The JU52 is 10 cm higher in the door hight from the ground (this is the actual sticking point) than the DC3 and it is still flying. Why is Lufthansa getting away with it??

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 am

The UK are the only one's to take notice as usual. The JU52 is 10 cm higher in the door hight from the ground (this is the actual sticking point) than the DC3 and it is still flying. Why is Lufthansa getting away with it??

Matt

I understand that this legislation covers aircraft with a seating capacity of 19+. The Lufthansa Ju 52 seats 16 passengers so is not affected. http://www.lufthansa-ju52.de/en/Ju-52-Gift-Vouchers/Ju-52-gift-vouchers.php

I believe that Air Service Berlin still operates its DC-3. How do they get away with
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:29 pm

[quote][quote]When I worked in Alaska, the FAA used DC3's as Navaid flight check aircraft so the chance for a ride was always there.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby BAW0343 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:54 pm

FlyingPerson, I completely loved Norway. I fully intend to return one day, perhaps after school.

And Sandefjord is south of the Oslofjord. I think it was a 2 hour train ride from Sandefjord to Oslo. Small town, like many many others in the area.

You are a lucky person to be living there  ;) Even if it is expensive.  I mean really, $12 for a McDonald's meal?? That's twice the price as here in the States.  8-)
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Return to Photos & Cameras