Some castles & other old ruins

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

Some castles & other old ruins

Postby Hagar » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:59 pm

Don't worry. No mugshot this time. One is enough for anyone to put up with. :o
Here's some more photos I took during my little outing this morning.

This is Arundel Castle in its full splendour basking in the sunshine. It was badly damaged during the Civil War & extensively restored in the 19th century. Unfortunately it was closed to the public today.

I thought this little garden looked pretty so I took a photo of it. End of story.

I have no idea what this is. It's certainly much older than the present castle.

The Woodman's Arms at Hammerpot on the way home. A genuine 16th century inn. Being 6 feet tall I have to stoop while at the bar. You also have to watch your head on the low beams. I can only suppose the average person was shorter when it was built.

This charming little cottage is at the end of my road. Part of the old village that still survives. It's just been re-thatched ready for the winter. After taking this photo I came home. :)
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Some castles & other old ruins

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:31 am

Okay Doug, now you're just being plain cruel to me ;D
Great photos by the way, I'll show the missus later. She loves thatched cottages ::)

Mark
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rifleman » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:05 am

Its not cruel to me....I love any good images which bring me more than I can get to.......if there is an interest, I can reciprocate with some of my area...........
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BFMF » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:36 am

Civil war? when did the UK have a civil war?
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:41 am

Sorry Ozzy. I'm not being deliberately cruel - Honest.

Its not cruel to me....I love any good images which bring me more than I can get to.......if there is an interest, I can reciprocate with some of my area...........

Please do Rifleman. It was seeing some of your photos of the beautiful area around your home that gave me the idea in the first place. This was my first visit to Arundel for many years although it's only just up the road. There are many more such places that I intend to visit & photograph now I finally have the equipment. I'm sure there are interesting places quite close to each of us that we never appreciate because they're too familiar.

Civil war? when did the UK have a civil war?

Yes Andrew, we're a bloodthirsty lot & were always fighting somebody. There was more than one but the struggle for power between the king & parliament (1642 - 94) is generally called the English Civil War. Check out Charles I & Oliver Cromwell - Cavaliers vs Roundheads. This was the beginning of the modern democratic parliamentiary system we still use today. http://freespace.virgin.net/owston.tj/cw2.htm

You might also be interested in the Wars of the Roses (1455-1487). http://www.warsoftheroses.com/
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fly2e » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:44 am

Thanks again Doug, the castle in the first shot looks stunning!!
Dave  8)
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:01 pm

Really nice photos Hagar old pal. It's nice to see something different around here now and again. :)
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby SaVas » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:15 pm

WOW! Keep up the great photos! I would like to see more :)
My life is like the movie Office Space
SaVas
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:20 pm

WOW! Keep up the great photos! I would like to see more :)

Thanks SaVas. Glad you like my efforts. You might regret asking for more. I never needed much encouragement. 8) :D

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SaVas » Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:44 pm

Not that I mind living in the USA, as I have seen a lot of it, though very little of it in the same regards, I just love looking at pictures from other countries.

Its quite refreshing :)
My life is like the movie Office Space
SaVas
Major
Major

Postby Wing Nut » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:05 am

Doug, you make me want to cry.  I just want to get on a plane right now and go over there.  Please post more soon. :)
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:27 am

[quote]Doug, you make me want to cry.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:32 am

Yes Andrew, we're a bloodthirsty lot & were always fighting somebody. There was more than one but the struggle for power between the king & parliament (1642 - 94) is generally called the English Civil War. Check out Charles I & Oliver Cromwell - Cavaliers vs Roundheads. This was the beginning of the modern democratic parliamentiary system we still use today. http://freespace.virgin.net/owston.tj/cw2.htm

You might also be interested in the Wars of the Roses (1455-1487). http://www.warsoftheroses.com/

hmm, what was I thinking, I should know since quite a few ancestors of mine ruled the lot of you for quite a while ;D
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:35 am

What was I thinking, I should know since quite a few ancestors of mine ruled the lot of you for quite a while ;D

Not sure what got inside their head! ;D ;D
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:14 am

What was I thinking, I should know since quite a few ancestors of mine ruled the lot of you for quite a while ;D

Not sure what got inside their head! ;D ;D

Just be careful with this geneology thing. If you believe some of the outfits that offer to track down your ancestors in a few days/weeks, everyone turns out to be descended from someone famous or important. This is obviously highly unlikely & probably untrue in most cases. The same goes for coats of arms. If you know the rules of heraldry you can easily create your own but very few people are officially entitled to one.

It's surprisingly difficult to trace your ancestry accurately before a certain point unless you're prepared to spend a fortune to have it researched properly or have the time to do it yourself. This might involve months or even years of travelling around & scouring old church records - that's if they still survive.

My own family has lived in this part of the country for centuries but I can only go back to about 1840 with any certainty.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Photos & Cameras