testing new camera

Your Aviation (or Personal) Photos and discussion on Cameras & photography.

testing new camera

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:09 am

loving this camera:) best quality i have seen from any i have owned

looking out the front of my house at some peugeot bad weather makes good pics difficult,, also take through a window

well what can i say not a perfect photo but pretty funny, my dog loves the camera, and any time he sees one will instantly try to get a picture take of himself:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Re: testing new camera

Postby Hagar » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:36 am

Glad you like the new toy Craig. Shame about the weather. Start practising now ready for your trip to Filton. I'm hopng to see some nice Concorde photos. ;)

Have a mess around with the resolution settings. It will most likely be set on a low res for general work. Use the highest res possible for aircraft shots. The number of images you can take will depend on the size of your memory card & varies according to quality.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:40 am

thanks Hagar:)
I had it set to 2million pixels on a medium quality for those. with that setting i can get 40 right now, they didnt have any memory cards bigger than the 16mb one it comes with at the time, i will hopefully pick up a 64mb one in near future, though.
As for concorde i should know tomorow whether or not i can make it. there is a bus there but i dont know times and its
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:30 pm

Nice work Craig, and I like your dog ;)

Mark 8)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rifleman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:34 pm

Word of advice here Craig....Wendy and I were just talking about your camera......BTW, nice shots for a start !

If you intend to print any images, then take Hagars advice and shoot at the highest res you have, but if you will be limited by memory card space, then shoot at "1M FINE" or "2M NORMAL".
The images will still be very acceptable for printing if you have good software and great for the web, in fact you will be reducing file size to be able to post them on here.....
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:50 pm

I should have said long-distance aerial shots. Aircraft in the air usually come out much smaller than you expect. You would not usually use the complete image. Using the highest resolution possible means you can crop the appropriate part of the image without affecting the quality too much. If you remember my shots of the Yak crash at Shoreham, these would have been much clearer if I had realised this at the time.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Rifleman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:56 pm

Right you are Hagar, there is much to be said for higher res in that application....my concerns were only about running out of card at a once in a lifetime situation.....
...........and for me, any moment not captured, is a moment gone forever....... ;D

Average out all your advice Craig and shoot from the heart but through your eye........
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:09 pm

Right you are Rifleman. I'm just trying to save Craig going through the same learning curve I did. On the very next day I made the bad mistake of leaving my 128 Mb memory card at home. Consequently I ran out of memory & missed some classic shots of Denny Dobson giving us a private display of precision aerobatics right overhead. The chance of a lifetime. I've been kicking myself ever since. ::)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:14 pm

Thank you all ;D
Ozzy your welcome to the dog if you want him, he's as nutty as you:)

And Ken and Doug, Thank you both for the advice. its finding a good day to put it into practise, hopefully tomorow is going to be alot better weather. As for printing, right now i need to get the pictures down to a fine art before i can start using up ink:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fly2e » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:02 pm

Hiya Craig!
Congrats on the new camera!
I am sure you will get some use out of it.
Looking forward to seeing some shots!

Now all you need is Photoshop and you can really start having some fun!  ;D

Look at that cool car!!   8)

Dave  8)
COMING SOON!
Fly2e
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:12 pm

LOL how did you manage to do that, i have both PSP7 and photo shop, which do you think is better, to edit and improve with?
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Rifleman » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:29 pm

Photoshop has more refined tools to use and get in between some of the auto/one button features which PSP is bringing now to the home user, as opposed to the more graphics conscious manipulator....

Gee, can you guess which one I use ?
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:12 pm

This took me less than 2 minutes with PSP7. I could do better if I spent more time on it.  As with anything else, you have to know how to use it to get the required results. PSP suits me fine & I stick with what I know best. I can't afford Photoshop & wouldn't have the faintest idea how to use it. As Dave knows, I don't much care for those gimmicky effects. :P

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:18 pm

Thanks again guys.
I do have both but have been using PSP for alot longer so i am a little more familliar with its operations. as i am not much of an artist as such, i am useless at these little effects:)
I will have to get some decent photos to mess with tomorow. try out both programs
Thanks again:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:37 pm

well better weather today, took this picture from my moms bedroom window, looks a little better than yesterday.
Day shot

and exact same shot taken at night, not perfect but difficult to see through the viewfinder in dark, got the lights down pretty well:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Photos & Cameras