98SE to XP problems

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

98SE to XP problems

Postby arfyhun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:25 pm

Greetings all,

I have finally given up with my 98SE box and have D/Ld the entire contents of CFS1 & 2 to my sons kit. I noticed after downloading, XP seems to 'see' files differently.
   Opening one of the mission folders all the missions are named '.mis'. 98 didn't show these endings. XP said it could not open this type of file and asked if I would like to try and find a cure via the net. I instructed XP to change them to '.txt', which allowed me to open and read them. Every mission in one game changed.
    Then I looked in an A/C folder. The 'aircraft' file now has a '.cfg' after it and I once again cannot open it.
  I think if I change that one to a '.txt' I will be able to open and read it but will changing every file to a '.txt' mess the system up? I have come a long road making a whole game for every year in CFS1 & 2 and do not want to bin it completely at this stage.

Any advice will be accepted most graciously.

Many thanks in advance,

Graham Sullivan. arfyhun.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: 98SE to XP problems

Postby Hagar » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi Graham. It's not XP. It all depends on the Folder Options settings. You might like to read my Working with Windows article. http://www.simviation.com/lair/windows.htm

Opening one of the mission folders all the missions are named '.mis'. 98 didn't show these endings. XP said it could not open this type of file and asked if I would like to try and find a cure via the net. I instructed XP to change them to '.txt', which allowed me to open and read them. Every mission in one game changed.

If you change the file extensions CFS can't read them & the missions won't work. To open a .mis file in Notepad, right-click on the file & select Open With. Then choose Notepad from the list of programs.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby arfyhun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Cracking move Hagar. Have done the business as demonstrated in your reply above & '.cfg' opens up Ace. I also looked twice at my missions in the list. I thought I'd knackered them but although the icons show a Notepad pic, leaving the mouse arrow over them shows the system I.D.s them as '.mis'. I had visions of having to rename them one by one somehow.....

Top type mate, many thanks for the hand out the do-do.

I'm always in it, it's just the depth that varies......

P.S. Nice to see Spitfire Ale is still on sale for what was, I believe, just for the B.o.B. celebrations years ago. I usually bump into a foaming jar or six at Eltham when us 'retired-ees' all meet up.

Graham Sullivan.   arfyhun. 
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:06 pm

Xp isn't so different in this as Win98. When you tried to open the .mis file, you should have been given the web (I don't like that this is the default option) or browse option:
Choose the browse option and you will get a program list window
Notepad and Wordpad should be in the list -- either can read and edit (providing its Properties is not set to Read Only) the .mis text
Below the list of programs is the "always use this program option" the choosing of which will, thereafter, always automatically open .mis files with the chosen program.*

*The other means of allotting programs to files (even for correcting errant associations) is to click onto Tools; if the Folder Options... option is at the bottom of the pop-down, click it, then open File Types, search the list for the MIS extension (or choose to add it if not present) and enter your preferences.

8-)
Last edited by H on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby arfyhun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks H, will double check I've got that correct now. Last time I tried the missions by just placing the mouse arrow over the mission it still showed '.mis' in the 'ident pop-up' (for want of an intelligent word!).

Will try again now to make sure and will post again if I'm wrong.

Many thanks mate.

Graham   arfyhun.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Combat Flight Simulator