Belly to the Ground

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Belly to the Ground

Postby H » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:50 pm

One of the first times I piloted a Spitfire in a dogfight I swooped low enough in a stall that I gently grounded the plane: no damage -- just had to exit via the "End Flight" tab. Since then I've had to do a number of landings with no landing gear. So it is, once again.
I took out three 109s before catching up to an escaping Dornier that had gotten away from the Hurricanes. I took out the bomber but its blasted rear gunner did me some damage. Had to belly land again with jammed landing gear.

How are the rest of you doing with landing damaged aircraft?

[I'm getting the idea that you're all bailing out...]

8-)
Last edited by H on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Belly to the Ground

Postby cardinalbrian » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm

H,

Gee whiz!  I did that with my Cardinal!  No MEs to blame though..

Brian
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 am

[quote]H,
Gee whiz!
Last edited by H on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cardinalbrian » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:29 pm

H,

Yep, it started out as an RG.  Silly pilot trick. Should not have been flying but decided that I was running out of time to do a post maintenance check before  a long scheduled flight.  Made the scheduled flight a nonfactor.  Hopefully just solved the last impediment before gaining a ferry permit and taking back to air.  Hopefully 851 will be as entertaining as the FSX Cardinal RG I got off Phil Taylor's list - which is quite close.

So now I'm busy confounding things in CSF & CSFII.  These both ran sooo well on my various boxes before the advent of VISTA.  Except for appealing to the Task Manager to gain control from the fractured screen (which I'm convinced is a threading problem) CSF works OK but the configurator has caught up with me and insists I run it at 1280x1024 when it ran happily at 1600x1200 on the last 2 generations of boxes (1920x1200 on the previous after the monitor upgrade).   CSFII seems to have a problem with supersonic Zeros..  I may comment on that thread after I've been embarrassed a few more times.

Thanks lots for your help with CSF.
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:41 am

How dare you scuff up a Spit H! Treason!!!!
Actually in a real Spit there'd be an emergency air bottle to force the undercarriage down for dead stick landings.
Dead stick onto carriers is brown trousers :o
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby H » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:54 am

Actually in a real Spit there'd be an emergency air bottle to force the undercarriage down for dead stick landings.
Evidently, said gunner burst the bottle; CFS1 does have a "gear pump" option which I definitely tried when my green 'locked down' light didn't come on.

Dead stick onto carriers is brown trousers.
I have the 'gear pump' assigned to the 'p' key so my pants may have been yellow, at the least.

Hey, at least I brought it back with some useful pieces. You're just pitying my mechanics who get taken away from the card table every time I return from a mission.
::)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator