GameRanger: a new place to play CFS

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

GameRanger: a new place to play CFS

Postby Scott Kevill » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:12 am

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know about a new multiplayer network I've created for playing Combat Flight Simulator online called GameRanger.

Basically, GameRanger makes it quick and easy to play your friends online.

It has full lobby support for over 500 different games and demos (including Combat Flight Simulator, of course), without the hassles and headaches that usually happen with network connections (eg. routers & firewalls).

I'm really excited to be releasing it, and hope it helps boost the CFS community by allowing people to play that were unable to until now due to problems with opening ports, etc.

You can download it at www.GameRanger.com
GameRanger - play your friends online
Scott Kevill
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: GameRanger: a new place to play CFS

Postby H » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:15 am

One suggestion: just under or over the download button, display the file size it will finally occupy on one's computer.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Scott Kevill » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:24 am

One suggestion: just under or over the download button, display the file size it will finally occupy on one's computer.

8-)

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about that, but I wasn't sure how it would work. The installer you download is about 120 KB, but then when you run that, it downloads the rest of the update of about 830 KB.

So, if I listed 120 KB, people would complain that it was misleading, and if I put 120+830, ie. 950 KB, people would think there was a problem with their browser download since it was only 120KB. :)

Of those two options, I guess the first (120 KB) would be better.
Scott Kevill
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:32 am

Then you would only be giving the Download Size = 120kb and not the final Install Size = 830kb.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Scott Kevill » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:43 am

Then you would only be giving the Download Size = 120kb and not the final Install Size = 830kb.

8-)

I think you misunderstood me, which proves my point that it isn't that simple.

Once you've downloaded that 120 KB installer, the installer itself goes and downloads an additional 830 KB. That is not the final install size. Doesn't sound like a much of an issue, but I've had people complain over less in the past.
Scott Kevill
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:45 am

That is not the final install size. Doesn't sound like a much of an issue, but I've had people complain over less in the past.
That's the point -- we want to know if we have more to complain about when we try to install a 10mb program in the 9.85mb left on our overused drive... rather like the reason requirements are printed on the software box.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator