combat flight simulator with vista

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Re: combat flight simulator with vista

Postby cardinalbrian » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Also!  When I tried to check the FFB2 after the Sidewinder 4.0 install, the Properties button leads to nowhere..

I got a message that part of the software was missing or not compatable.  So I found the SW start command and went to the properties page.  The Compatibility tab was grayed out.  In response to something I did I got a dialog box that said "You're trying to mess with something that's part of Windows"!!

Why does CSF and the SW 4.0 say the FFB2 software is messed up when the stick works perfectly fine in FSX?  Is there another handler in the HID locker of VISTA??
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:21 pm

[quote]
I uninstalled the Sidewinder 4.0 and CSF programs and reinstalled them.
Last edited by H on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby cardinalbrian » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:55 pm

H,

I think I did the reinstall just to clear my head..

I just changed the Device to Radeon 9700 Pro.  That's what it ran under before  (at 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 depending on which monitor I had attached).  Similar results. But I could play the game weirdly.  Same startup with fractured initial screen.  Started Task Manger and screen repainted correctly at 640x480. Exited TM.  Selected "Campaigns", pilot selection screen came up 640x480.  Selected me.  Mission Description screen came up 640x480,  clicked "Fly Now" or equivalent.  Funny Mission screen came up.  All controls seemed to work, but with a built in multisecond delay.  Actually took off, retracted gear, caught up with Crittenden and whoever, and "X"ed to the action.  Then I got tired of the charade (the alternative would've been to be cooked by a 109!) and did the Task Manager thing again which killed the game.  Strange.  On the right side background, it looks well rendered except the only color is an orangish.  Most detail appears.  Even the "Radar" displays correctly.  On the left side background it's black except for the traffic tags, which don't get cleaned up so the half fills up with names of the flightmates!  I got a screenshot after the "X" if anybodys interested.  It's 540K or so, beyond limits, so I'll put it on my site.    I'm gonna try to get the small screen back where the rendering is correct and work towards making it full screen..
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cardinalbrian » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 pm

H,

Oh!  BTW:  After the reinstall the Device was the new dual card - which annoyed me because I didn't check the folder before reinstalling to make sure the old CFG (and no, I don't reinstall after each CFG mod) wasn't there.  After this I'll go back one more and try the STB
card descriptor.  That worked on my old p2 with a 1600x1200 CRT.

I'm still wondering if there isn't an alternative FFB2 controller that FSX has access to???  I don't understand why CSF should get confused at the SSW 4.0 interface - they're cohorts in obsolesence.

I hope I don't have this much fun when I have time to put CSF2 on the new box!!

I should be wasting this time doing approaches in FSX!  The Cardinal RG from Philip Taylor's list looks and flies just like mine..
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby cardinalbrian » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Success!

After changing the Radeon 9700 Pro's Mode to 1920x1200x32 The mission screens come up correctly and the missions perform as expected.  Surprise!!!  I have toe brakes!!!  But they seem to be a lot grabbier than the button brakes.  With the Hurc almost stopped I applied them to line up with 'ol Critty in the grass and nosed under!!!

Now the only problem is bringing up the Task Manager in the beginning to force that first repaint.  From then on the game works as you'd expect.  With the addition of toe brakes!

I guess that ends this thread!!!

Thanks to everybody that encouraged me..

Brian
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Combat Flight Simulator