Odd behaviour of scenery

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Odd behaviour of scenery

Postby arfyhun » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Greetings all, I have left CFS1 alone for years without playing with it. Recently I've got steam up again and I need a bit of help sorting out various bugs. May I please start with the wierdest one?
Take a trip over the pond to Calais. As you arrive where the water ends and the shore starts the scenery becomes the same as one of those old 'flicker' books I had as a child. The scenery locks in time a couple of milliseconds at a time, giving a series of overlapping stills until as you pass the 'point' of whatever, the scenery reverts to as it should.
I also get it when taking off from some of the RAF fields. When it happens then, the A/Cs around me perform the same way, looking like slices of toast! If I fly on my tod, the scenery will clear at a predetermined point.
When it's performing on L.S.D. if I look left or right out of the cockpit I see part of the instrument panel as well as right or left view, all neatly sliced up! I have been to Specsavers and they confirm my eyesight is naff but not that way!
Any clues girls and boys please?
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Odd behaviour of scenery

Postby H » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 am

Nothing so strange with mine. I'm not sure of your exact route but here's my Calais arrival from Hawkinge utilizing the default textures (you wouldn't happen to have one of the Calais add-on sceneries?):

I'm using the Nvidea graphics inherent with this motherboard.

8-)
Last edited by H on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby arfyhun » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:17 am

Greetings H, thanks for your reply. Yes I do have a Calais add-on but the problem occurs at Duxford and, I think, Kenley. Will fire up the beast this evening to provide more details.      

Graham.
P.S. How do you take pictures? I could show you what it looks like.
Last edited by arfyhun on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 am

I suspect that H has hit the nail on the head. It's a very long time since I fired up CFS1 but I don't recall any problems with the default scenery in all the years I was involved with it. In theory at least it should run a lot better now.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:07 pm

As Hagar and I question, the Calais add-on is most suspect. I've had no problem with CFS1, itself, but many auxiliary programs seem to need the "Run As..." 'Windows 95' or 'Windows 98/ Windows ME' enable, if the Compatibility can be applied.
How do you take pictures?
[color=#003300]I hit the "Print Screen" button after having installed Grab/Clip/Save. I edit/resize with MSPaint and save the edit in the .jpg format for upload.
The Miscellaneous Utilities section also has
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby arfyhun » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:08 am

Thanks gents. I was going to remove the add-ons as a first move but having looked around your forum for an answer I had never met anybody having problems as I am. I felt sure if there was an issue that way it would have been flagged as surely I'm not the only bloke with Calais, Duxford and Kenley?.
I have got rid of the Calais add-on and now the waterline behaves itself. Same as your pics, H.
Thanks for the picture capture beasties. I will install it and put Calais add-on back in. Your going to love seeing what I see when I post the pics!

Many thanks fellows.

Graham Sullivan.
Last edited by arfyhun on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby arfyhun » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:05 pm

Greetings, sorry for late reply, have been trying to post pics for last few days. Just got it sorted.

As you can see, a bit psychedelic. I'm still amazed nobody has met this problem before me. My PC is ten years old, no graphics card, could it be down to that?

Many thanks in advance.

Graham Sullivan.
Last edited by arfyhun on Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:21 am

My PC is ten years old, no graphics card, could it be down to that?
Well, that doesn't help: on-board graphics weren't too advanced back then; I never had a problem with CFS on my oldest configuration (1999) but neither did I have any downloaded add-ons.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Mushroom_Farmer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:43 am

Back in the day I ran CFS1 on a PII 266 with a Diamond Viper GFX card. It ran relatively smooth.
 I noticed you are running CFS1 in a window. Have you tried to run it in full screen mode? Is that stock scenery? Stock aircraft? Stock missions? Also noticed your toolbar and title bar aren't stock MS color scheme. Are those just redone in Display Properties/Appearance? Or is there some other programrunning in the background? Also How much RAM is on that machine?

"We're just sitting here trying to put our PCjrs in a pile and burn them. And the damn things won't burn. That's the only thing IBM did right with it - they made i
Mushroom_Farmer
Major
Major

Postby H » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:59 am

Back in the day I ran CFS1 on a PII 266 with a Diamond Viper GFX card. It ran relatively smooth. Is that...
The following can be answered before he responds:

stock scenery?
He's already stated that he'd installed scenery add-ons as indicated by his, howbeit distorted, scenery buildings while on the runway.
Stock aircraft?
That's not the default Spitfire panel .bmp nor panel configuration; although it seems to be the stock panel .bmp for the Hurricane, again, the panel configuration and additional windows are not (in my pxs, I was actually flying a modified (texture/.air files) Hurricane with a stock panel (repainted to eliminate some of the stock paint chipping/scratches) but closed the cockpit view to provide a better scenery panarama for the screen save.
Stock missions?
I could be wrong on this but, considering the window display, he seems to be in Free Flight mode.

8-)
Last edited by H on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby arfyhun » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Hello chaps, nice to see the comments.

The PC is 1998 with 3x128 ram cards fitted.

I am flying modified planes in missions made by third parties. Everything is fine until some of the missions select start points where I have add-on sceneries.
Then I get as posted. Flying far enough away from the add-on area, (provided you switch to I.M.C.!) the scenery clears to normal. It's definitely some of the airfield add-ons, as having removed the Calais add-on and re-flown the mission it comes up sweet-as.

I'm just interested in knowing why I get psycho views with some of my add-ons (Kenley, Calais, Duxford...to name a couple of baddies) when it would seem no-one else on this board has had a problem with them...unless as you say, it might all be down to PC power.

Take 'em out, problem solved. Put 'em back in, problem back.

Maybe I'm just lucky!  

I'm threatening to try the game on a friends PC and if I do I will certainly be able to come up with the definitive answer.

Many thanks fellows.

Graham Sullivan.

arfyhun
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Combat Flight Simulator