Sukhoi Flankers

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Sukhoi Flankers

Postby Tko » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Happy new year to all the CFS community! Does anyone have rear view problems with the Sukhoi flankers at Flightsim ? Unlike the Mig 29, I cant see toward the rear of the flankers because of the grey blob. Does anybody have a fix or solution to this problem or is it just the model of the a/c?
Last edited by Tko on Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Sukhoi Flankers

Postby H » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 am

Maybe you're a bit short and can't see over the back of the seat? ;D
I haven't that model in my inventory but it sounds like a problem between the 'View Point Height' or the 'View Point Longitudinal' in the '301 Fuselage' section of the .air file. In some aircraft the back of the seat may obscure the view, anyway (older aircraft without bubble canopies had the top of the fuselage behind their head). Elsewise, if the modeler included a pilot in the .mdl then you may be adjusted too far forward ('View Point Longitudinal'); back to my 'a bit short' quip, the 'View Point Height' may be set too low. You could even have a combination of the ''View Point Lateral', View Point Height' or the 'View Point Longitudinal' wrong. These figures can even be set so that you're seeing things from outside of the aircraft.
What was the specific download file? Howbeit, due to the next wave of storms moving in, I've been requested to stay at the motel for the next couple of days or so -- I may not have internet access for a little while.

8-)
Last edited by H on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tko » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:08 am

Well H, its the models at flightsim.com painted by Udo Entenmann. All sukhoi flanker models from A to M have this problem. They fly quite fast and are very manovuerable , you should consider gettin one just to try out. No im not that short in the cockpit for that matter ;D However I have noticed with many CFS models that there is an obstruction rearward and in some cases even to the sides which is very annoying in a dogfight. I can recall there is a Mikoyan 17 at absquad that has this problem religiously. Anyway i couldnt fly it and left it in my hangar to rust :P Also H , why arent there any email contacts in the readme files of these models, since i got my flanker 27 i tried to email the guy who made it but his web address doesnt exist or some foolishness. Anyway i will await your reply as i fly the unfriendly skies with my flanker. P.S. Sorry about your internet connectivity problems, i knw it sux. >:(
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:37 pm

If you're using the aircraft I think you are, it's basically the same as the F/A 18 Hornet "SU-27" VMC-12 on the 1st page of Simviation's Modern aircraft. There's a couple problems to having a full panarama. The first and easiest edit is to open the panel.cfg with Notepad or Wordpad and change the SIZE_Y=3313 at the very bottom to SIZE_Y=5000. The other problem is not only that you're too short but also seem to be sitting in the instrument panel; that ghastly copilot behind you is supposed to be you -- you're having an out-of-body experience!
If you have an AirEd, open the .air file, click open the fuselage tab and type in 50 for the 'View Point Height' and 75 for the 'View Point Longitudinal' (they'll be changed slightly when you "Enter" them).
Sorry, however, if you actually have a different model. I found some others but I have to rest soon before walking back to work tonight and probably won't get back to the computer until Monday.

8-)
Last edited by H on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tko » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:01 am

H, I tried the Air Ed program out. It improves the performance of my flanker, but it switched all of my a/c in CFS to AirEd instead of the .air files. Is this a problem because it changed my other a/c in my backup folder where i keep the remainder of my A/c i dont use often. For example the stock P51D instead of having a P51D.air file it just says P51D and underneath is AirEd 6 or 7b. Can it affect anything else on my pc or not?  :-?
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:21 pm

I don't know which OS your computer has; the assumption is that you opened your Flanker .air file and didn't uncheck the "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" when you chose 'AirEd' to open it? In such case, any and all files on your computer with the air extension will automatically be opened by AirEd when you choose to open them.
If you right click a file with the XP OS you also have an "open with..." selection further down on the tab should you wish a different selection. The files can also be opened by CFS/FS no matter what editor/perusal program you use, so have you had a problem (which would indicate that something else is wrong)?

:-?

8-)
Last edited by H on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tko » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:24 am

Well im currently using an XP. The AirEd program just converted all the air files and replaced them with AirEd. Also, when i ran the program , my os never asked me if i wanted to use any selected program of any type.
Last edited by Tko on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:35 pm

[color=#003300]If you left click to open a file, it's opened with whatever program was assigned the task (AirEd may have been assigned when you installled it -- I'm not familiar with the 6 and 7 versions). If you right click you should, instead, see a tab drop with a bold Open at the top; clicking Open
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tko » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 pm

Do you know of any way i can probably change back from AiEd to the original .air files on my pc? The AirEd program doesnt allow me to make any corrections to the a/c .air files. It just freezes up on me for some odd reason. Its version 1.42 by the way of AirEd. Is there any converters i am supposed to use to aid AirEd or is it just a stand alone program? I need some more advice because im using it with CFS1.
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:46 am

Sorry for the delay -- haven't been much within five miles from my computer since last Tuesday.
I'm running @ 10 instances of CFS1 on my XP computer (howbeit, most are located on a second, older FAT32 hard drive). They are installed for more specific time frames with the .exe and accompanying .cfg names changed to CFS1 WW1, CFS1 WW2, CFS1 Korea, etc., and have I used AirEd for aircraft for each (I don't like every plane in a squadron bearing the same insignia and I've redone many textures).
I don't know why AirEd should freeze your PC since it hasn't mine.
As to changing the assignment,
open 'Control Panel' (or most any window),
click into 'Tools' in the browser,
select 'Folder Options' from the drop-down,
then click into 'File Types' on the pop-up.
Then scroll down to AIR and highlight it.
Now the delemna; you can assign another program to open the file
or, if you want to have AIR files unnassigned, you need the 'Delete' button activated.
If it's not, click the 'Advanced' button which will open another pop-up.
Highlight 'open' and
click the 'Delete' button.
Now you will be asked which program you wish to open an .air file with each time as long as you make sure that you uncheck the 'Always use the selected program...' each time you do so.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tko » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am

Thanks H for your help. However i still have some concerns regarding AirEd, do you really need it if youre an average flight simmer or is it just designed for CFS developers to change the settings around a bit? :-?

P.s. are you part of any CFS squadrons online?

8-)
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:09 am

Thanks H for your help. However i still have some concerns regarding AirEd, do you really need it if youre an average flight simmer or is it just designed for CFS developers to change the settings around a bit?
If the model developer has his settings according to your preferences, AirEd is unnecessary; when you want something changed (such as the viewpoints) it is quite helpful, though. I've also found many download planes that didn't sit properly -- so nice to hop in a plane and have an immediate ten foot drop or bounce up from the grave before you even have a chance to rev the engine(s)!

P.S. are you part of any CFS squadrons online?
Once upon a time, I went online as Willy Farewell and Blayze N Gunn -- but I was never a particular squadron member; that was around the turn of the century.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator