Windows Vista

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Windows Vista

Postby mikel11755 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:46 pm

Hello...I am having problems using the sim with Windows Vista. It installed ok but when I try to run it nothing works correctly. Joystick doesn't respond & sometims half the screen isn't there. Aby one have any ideas?? I haven't tries yet to install CFS2 or CFS3 yet. Figure the same thing will happen. Thanks... Mikel
mikel11755
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Windows Vista

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue May 29, 2007 3:37 am

That's a worry, I've just installed Vista Home Premium (32-bit) but not got around to putting CFS1 on yet.

If it doesn't work in Vista, I'll try making a dual boot system with XP on another partition and run it and my joystick (FFB2) drivers from there.

If you're only running / going to run 64-bit, your woes might not be cured that simply as there are loads of software compatability issues with it. I can't see M$ producing anything to make CFS1 compatable as they stopped supporting it years ago to try and move everyone onto CFS2 and 3.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Tue May 29, 2007 9:11 am

Does Vista have the "Run as..." option when you click onto the 'program properties' like XP does?

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby dcunning30 » Tue May 29, 2007 10:58 am

I don't know about CFS1, but CFS2 and CFS3 work fine on Vista.

Have you made sure your video drivers are up to date?
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby mikel11755 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:56 am

Thank You all...I haven't looked to see if Vista has a "run as" option but I did try the combatibility option & set it to XP but that didn't work. I installed CFS2 & CFS 3 & they both work great. So, maybe CFS1 is just to old. I'll keep playing with it & if I find a solution, I will post it. Once Again...Thank you...
mikel11755
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue May 29, 2007 11:57 am

Also, just occurred to me in this world of Hard drive partitions, I think CFS1 used to have a problem working on anything other than its' default install address.
If you've installed it to a different partition some files may not be able to hook up to the resources they need.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Tue May 29, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby mikel11755 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:59 am

About the video drivers...I just bought the puter a couple weeks ago, So I hope they are up to date..But then again... You never know..Will have to check that out also..Thanks
mikel11755
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue May 29, 2007 12:16 pm

Also, just occurred to me in this world of Hard drive partitions, I think CFS1 used to have a problem working on anything other than its' default install address.
If you've installed it to a different partition some files may not be able to hook up to the resources they need.

In the old days I had two hard drives & the biggest one was partitioned. I used this one for sims like CFS1 & FS98. I found CFS1 would run from almost anywhere without a problem, even a remote hard drive. It's a very uncomplicated program compared with the later MS sims but remember it was originally intended for Win95. Some people reported problems running it on WinXP but I can only say it works fine for me. However, running these old programs on Vista might be a completely different proposition.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby dcunning30 » Tue May 29, 2007 1:39 pm

About the video drivers...I just bought the puter a couple weeks ago, So I hope they are up to date..But then again... You never know..Will have to check that out also..Thanks

Don't depend on that.  That computer might have been sitting in a warehouse for a period of time.  And Vista drivers are being updated at a fairly rapid pace.  I bought my video card for my computer about 2 months ago and I'm now on my 3rd version of video drivers.
TURKEY TROTS TO WATER GG WHERE IS RPT WHERE IS TASK FORCE 34 RR THE WORLD WONDERS
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby james007 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:28 pm

Dcunning30 the question is CFS1 working with your Vista window in your PC.

Thank you!
james007
Major
Major

Postby dcunning30 » Wed May 30, 2007 8:51 am

Dcunning30 the question is CFS1 working with your Vista window in your PC.

Thank you!

I already answered his question.  I told him I don't know.  But since he also mentioned CFS2 and CFS3, I was able to respond to that.  Then when he mentioned his new computer and the subject of drivers, I was able to respond to that as well.

::)
dcunning30
Major
Major

Postby H » Wed May 30, 2007 6:55 pm

...I did try the combatibility option & set it to XP...
That would be what I meant by the 'run as' but XP has a Windows 95 option. If a program has to be set to Windows 95 in XP OS, why would one expect it to run as an XP program in Vista. :-?

Also, as Hagar indicates, CFS1 isn't location restrictive as long as the referal string is intact. I have one folder titled "CFS1 WW1" as well as "CFS1 WW2" and "CFS1 Korea;" also an original folder on a different Hard Drive. It's best to start fresh because some add-ons have caused problems with the copy and paste method.

8-)
Last edited by H on Wed May 30, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby nils » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:07 pm

ive installed CFS 1, 2 and FS2002 on my new VISTA PC and i have no problems, except with CFS1, where my joystick refuses to respond, and i keep getting strange Joystick messages that dont make any sence  :-/, the stick works fine with the other sims  ::)
current sims:
FS2004 - FSX
addons: flight deck 4/5, carrier strike force, international fighters, fighter pilot 2,...

FS design Studio 2, FS Repaint V2.23
nils
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:33 am

...my joystick refuses to respond, and i keep getting strange Joystick messages...
When you opt into your CFS1 Settings, is your joystick listed in the control options?
Last edited by H on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Guppanui » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:28 pm

I am running CFS1 under Vista flawlessly...
first, don't bother with "Compatibility Settings" they will only mess things up...
and then, just mess around to get the joysticks working... It is possible...
I have written lengthy and detailed tutorials on other forums on how to get the joysticks to work for CFS1 in Vista, but it rarely seems to work for anyone else... so the best thing to do is to thrash at it... leave no stone (setting) untried... It took me 3 weeks the first time, but in the end, CFS1 works...
Guppanui
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Combat Flight Simulator