Help!

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Help!

Postby DAP » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:44 pm

All,
  I downloaded the file "B-17GFlyingFortress.zip" from the CFS1 aircraft library but I can't get the gauges to appear on the panel and I don't see the side view BMP files either.  The gauge files are in a folder "gauges" but the side view pics are in the "panel" folder.

I modified the picture upper left pixel so I could see the scenery above the panel and I modified the "Panel.cfg" file to get rid of the black bars in the side/rear views, but didn't find any help files on these two problems.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

Thanks
DAP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Help!

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:21 am

Be quick;
The following site is "closing in July".

http://blondeflyer.com/howto/install/

(if ya see Carrie, smack 'er behind an' say it's from me! Heheh. ;))
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:07 am

Paste the 32 GAU files from the "gauges" folder into CFS1\Gauges.

The side views work fine for me without any tweaking although they do have "black Bands" at the bottom. I noticed that this is a CFS2 panel & the BMPs might need modifying to work properly in CFS1.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DAP » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:23 am

[quote]Be quick;
The following site is "closing in July".

http://blondeflyer.com/howto/install/

Thanks DrRedskwirrell!  I would have never thought of adding the gauges to the folder in the top directory, but it works!

I didn't see anything in that help file that talks about the side/rear view files though.  They come in the "panel" folder by default, but I don't see them...
DAP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DAP » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:29 am

Thank you Hagar.  Moving the gauges up to the root "gauges" folder worked great!

But, I still don't see the side/rear view files.  You said they worked for you?  You left the BMP files in the  "CFS\aircraft\B-17G Flying Fortress\panel\"  folder?
DAP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:48 am

[quote]Thank you Hagar.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:30 am

You might want to try JK_Jupiter's site.
http://www.combatflightsimulatorww2.hom ... eries.html
It's pretty old and out of date now (was up and running long before I started CFS1, in 2001) but it's a handy resource for information on this sort of stuff.
Forgive him the music - Other than that he's a good guy.
Heheh.

;)

Hint: Try chapter 10.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:53 am

Hmmm. Just went there meself and it may not be what you're after...
I'm going to post a few likely links where you might find help on this topic.

http://www.absquad.net/
http://www.379thvbg.com/

You could also try over at the Sim-Outhouse forums.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DAP » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:23 am

Oops Sorry. I wrote that in a hurry before going out. Those side views work perfectly in CFS2. (I mentioned that the panel is intended for CFS2.)
I'm not sure that side view BMPs will display in CFS1. It's a long time since I messed around with panels. The Bomb Sight window seems to work in CFS1 which is the main feature of that panel.

3rd party gauges will only work in the CFS1\Gauges folder.

Well, that seals it, I must be a dumb a**  I can't get the bomb sight to work either.  The instruction file says "you get to bomb sight by clicking on the blue switch in the upper right corner of panel", but I don't see a Blue switch anywhere.  If he means the square switch labeled "Bomb Sight", I did click on it but nothing happens for me.  Any idea, or is it just FS1 that's kicking me?  Maybe it's time to go buy FS2...
DAP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Help!  Can't see gauges in panel

Postby H » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:35 am

I don't have time for a full analysis and crashed into the sea  :-[ on the runway approach while playing with gauges. Hagar knows what he's talking about (usually does ;)).
You have to rely on the autostart on this one (the panel's start switches are pictoral). I haven't delved into the add-on side view issue.

8)
Last edited by H on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DAP » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:00 pm

Hmmm. Just went there meself and it may not be what you're after...
I'm going to post a few likely links where you might find help on this topic.

http://www.absquad.net/
http://www.379thvbg.com/

You could also try over at the Sim-Outhouse forums.

Thanks, I will check these sites out and see if there is any info there.  It's strange because when I select, for example "Free Flight", when the screen goes black, one of the side views actually flickers onto the screen but once the front view appears and the sim begins, there are no side/rear BMP's visible.

I'm guessing a CFG problem but don't see anything that's obvious???
DAP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:03 pm

Toggle the bombsight from Shift + 2. Shift + 1 will hide the main panel.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DAP » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:10 pm

Toggle the bombsight from Shift + 2. Shift + 1 will hide the main panel.

See, I told you I was a dumb a** !

Thanks for all the help, that works great.  Evidently, clicking on the panels switch won't work in CFS1
DAP
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Help!  Can't see gauges in panel

Postby H » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Default side and rear views for CfS1 are designated in the .mdl file and the textures are in the texture folder (a combination of texture views are usually on one bitmap). Textures within the texture folder are a 256x256 pixel, 256 color format.
Seperate "windows" can be put in the panel folder, properly sized and designated by keyboard in Settings/Assignments but, when selected, will be viewed according to number (higher window number overlays lower ones) no matter which view direction is chosen.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:54 am

Default side and rear views for CfS1 are designated in the .mdl file and the textures are in the texture folder (a combination of texture views are usually on one bitmap). Textures within the texture folder are a 256x256 pixel, 256 color format.
Seperate "windows" can be put in the panel folder, properly sized and designated by keyboard in Settings/Assignments but, when selected, will be viewed according to number (higher window number overlays lower ones) no matter which view direction is chosen.

You're confusing the virtual cockpit (which is part of the visual model) with the 2D panel which makes this more complicated. The extra view windows we're talking about here are part of the 2D panel. This idea was first introduced on the FS2000 default aircraft which had no VC or interior views. I'm not sure it works in FS98/CFS1.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Combat Flight Simulator