End of CFS1 and 2 on the Zone

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

End of CFS1 and 2 on the Zone

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:25 pm

http://zone.msn.com/en/general/article/ ... otify2.htm

Amongst others, you will see that M$ have officially announced that CFS1 (& 2) will no longer be supported on their Gaming Zone after January 31st.

As a matter of interest, after hearing this earlier today, I tried out Gamespy's host with _SS_MyKill_ and found it to be much better than the Zone's providing noticeably smoother gameplay even for Dial-up users. It was so good I also noticed the handling of the aircraft had changed as well. Probably for the same reason. You can have up to 32 players in a game.

You have to subscribe to the service but you can do this for free under the terms of the subscription (remember to say a rousing "NO!" when asked if you would like to receive extra mail from them ad-infinitum though. If someone hacks your membership they can sign up for services within Gamespy which you are liable for under their terms (good excuse to go out and buy that new firewall).

It looks like they also have a very effective way of controlling the detritous which has / had free reign over the lobby's in the Zone.

When Jan 31st rolls around, I'll try it and see how long it lasts. Nothing more to lose.

I hope M$ will do the decent thing (after the HUGE petition that was submitted to them to retain CFS) and post a referral page to Gamespy on the page the game cd links new players to. But, actually, I doubt the thought has ever entertained the merest shaft of light in their tiny corporate light-bulb brain.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: End of CFS1 and 2 on the Zone

Postby Sytse » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:33 pm

~S~ Shades!

Thanks for the headsup!
I didn't know about this at all...
Too bad we can't play on the zone anymore.  :( I always liked the cozy zone community. Is there a main chat box in gamespy? I haven't tried it yet.
Sytse
Major
Major

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:50 pm

Is there a main chat box in gamespy?

Yes but it's not for the benefit of the community that sprang up around CFS1. It's based more on the HyperLobby model. Although one good thing is they can control the detritous of the zone better than the zone ever did.
;D

Full report in November's EURO "Gazette" (out tomorrow  8) ).
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:35 pm

Scratch that;
Norton just found NINE adware viruses and they're all from Gamespy. I'm uninstalling it and dumping them.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sytse » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:54 pm

:(
Sytse
Major
Major

Postby Padser » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:18 am

~S~

Just received a notification from a message I sent to one of the Hyperlobby Forums ages and ages ago - it appears that the news of the Zone shut down has prompted some to ask if it may be possible for HL to support CFS again.

Don't know if anything will come of it (I suspect not - the chap that runs HL has his hands more than full enough with current games), but it may be worthwhile expressing interest if you're looking for a free stable and well-supported online arena in which to continue to fly CFS.

Forum thread here: http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name ... =5809#5809

~S~

Pads
Padser
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:54 pm

Thanks Padser, will do.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:17 am

Jiri will host CFS1 & CFS2 on Hyperlobby although it's up to users to actiovated the facility within their hlpro.ini

The thread is still the same; http://hyperfighter.sk/modules.php?name ... =5809#5809

and the info reads;

download the virtual pilots game server from this site and edit the hlpro.ini as shown below.

In hlpro.ini, found in the root of Hyperlobby program, change the lines as indicated here (set Disable=0 in stead of 1):

Code:
[Combat Flight Simulator]
Disable=0
Order=8

[Combat Flight Simulator 2]
Disable=0
Order=9
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Padser » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:44 am

~S~

It works, too!

Jiri's advice never made sense to me before, but the edit is so easy... doh!

All you CFS-ers have to do now is make sure everyone knows about it... I might even re-install the games and revisit some of my mispent youth...

Would MSN put a link to HL on the Zone once they close CFS 1 & 2 down, I wonder...

Probably not a good idea to hold your breath for that one... ;)

~S~

Pads
Padser
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sytse » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:08 am

*sucks in deep*
Sytse
Major
Major

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:34 pm

Things are developing by the minute here. I'll try and keep you updated as I get this info back.

UPDATE:-
I need everyone's help please:-

go2 (Zone's head-honcho) has stated that the Zone is having second thoughts re the future of CFS and may be prepared to re-think it's position regarding CFS1 (and possibly even CFS2) if enough people write and ask them to keep it.

Please send an e-mail to " zmaster@microsoft.com" and simply say, "Please do not remove CFS1/2 from the Zone".

Many thx for your assistance.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sytse » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:57 am

E-mail sent...
Let's hope this works out.
Last edited by Sytse on Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sytse
Major
Major

Postby Tko » Wed May 17, 2006 12:13 am

Where can I join a CFS1 squadron?  i'd like to help too. I'm a little new at this stuff
Tko
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby JG57_Rall » Thu May 18, 2006 9:40 am

http://www.geocities.com/the_45th_peacemakers/index.html

You can checkout our Squad. We are always ready to accept new pilots
JG57_Rall
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat May 20, 2006 4:31 am

Yep, the 45th are a very good and active squad offering a variety of styles of games and camaraderie.

There's also a famous online directory (Yellow Pages) of squads hosted by TGIF_Tivan HERE.
The best squads to apply for are those that have "FFF" membership. Although no longer current, the FFF (Fair Fighting Federation) was, at one time a guarantee of a squad's commitment to fair gaming and positive action against cheating.
The 45th is one such squad with FFF membership but their current active members may not be aware of it, due to recent turnover.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Fri May 26, 2006 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Combat Flight Simulator