CFS1 - about time for a re-issue?

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

CFS1 - about time for a re-issue?

Postby RAFAIR100 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:12 pm

Everyone tells me that CFS1 - if not already dead - is certainly dying.     I still think that it's the best of the 'combat' series.      It is certainly far and away the most widely popular.        Have Microsoft given any thought to updating it rather than issuing CFS 4, 5, 6 ...?
RAFAIR100
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: CFS1 - about time for a re-issue?

Postby denishc » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 am

Last edited by denishc on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
denishc
Captain
Captain

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:24 pm

CFS4 was supposed to be a direct update of CFS1.
But,
a) it's been "cancelled" (I would not accept these reports as true. Ten to one on a release after Vista) and,
b) they went too far again and 'improved' it too much.

For me (and many others) it's attraction was in it's simplicity, enabling an active 'community' to surround it.
They keep trying to make it "more realistic". That's great for the 'realism' freaks, but not for fun-lovin ole know-nuthin gamers like me.
I wanna get up in the air with a fair level of competency and have little enough to worry about that I can fly and still have a giggle with whoever I'm up there with.
Too much is just a distraction. If I gotta worry about extra controls / flight models, that's work, not fun. How are new players going to get into the game if the starting level is so far ahead of them?

Gimme extra graphics, aircraft, scenery, and a way to keep the cheatin sob's outta my games. Thass all I need. Not extra controls. Keep them for FS. Not CFS.

[same goes for you Oleg!]

ty.

CFS1 is far from dead, despite attempts from M$ to kill it. Membership and interest is down because of it's forecasted demise, but it still exists on the Zone, months after M$ threatened to remove it.
Even though they've hidden the log-in page, we're still getting new pilots / players finding us and wanting to learn more and more about it.
There are also private game servers hosting CFS1 elsewhere (although the main meeting point is still the zone and these do tend to detract from membership there).
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby james007 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:32 am

Thanks to those Folks in Sim-Outhouse Website now we have site in reserve or Bone yard that have a great deal of Goodies for CFS1 supporters.

Just remember that CFS1 also has Pacific Theater Campaign and planes. Lest improve this program as a complete Sim.

1.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/master_ftp/cfs/

James007
Last edited by james007 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
james007
Major
Major

Postby 4_Series_Scania » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:52 pm

I must be missing something here.

In my CFS collection, I have CFS1 which was updated by CFS2 which itself was updated by CFS3......  ???

Confused.  :P
Posting drivel here since Jan 31st, 2002. - That long!
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."
4_Series_Scania
Major
Major

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:00 am

CFS1 was never updated by M$.
Released in December 1998, it was abandoned to stand or fall on its' own, even though M$ acknowledged various errors and ommisions with it, allowing numerous opportunities for 'cheating'.

Various players started making their own scenery / aircraft add-ons, most of which can be found in the download section of this site. Some exponents of the game refuse to use these, insisting on playing the game for what it is and "as it came on the cd". For this reason, you will see most online games listed as "stock" or "mods".

CFS1 was replaced by CFS2 (which was a stand-alone package based in the Pacific arena), and CFS3 replaced CFS2. I have no interest in CFS2 or CFS3 and do not know if update patches for either of these were released by M$.

A CFS4 project was begun but the original release has slipped by almost a year and subsequently has been reported as cancelled. I have also come across reports from people working on the project which makes me think it may have been merely postponed. If this is the case, I expect it is one of the games which is being held for the release of Vista (recently reported as now being Jan 2007 for the gamers edition).

The IL2 flight sim series (ubisoft) has mostly been issued in versions which are stand-alone or merged installs. The game's developers Maddox, issue frequent (LARGE) updates for the series which normally affect gameplay and aircraft handling. They also usually include extra aircraft as well.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:57 am

Sorry but I think you're wrong. You need to know a little of the history of FS to appreciate it. Combat Flight Simulator was originally part of the MS Flight Simulator series. These were released alternately starting with FS98 (FS 6.1). Each new version introduced improvements leading to where we are now.

CFS1 was FS 6.5,
followed by FS2000 (FS 7.0)
then CFS2 (FS 7.5)
& FS2002 (FS 8.0).
FS2004 is FS 9.1

Many features of FS2002 were first developed in CFS2 & it was an ongoing project. Unfortunately CFS3 went off in an entirely different direction & broke the mould.

The whole attraction of the MSFS series is the open-architecture structure & the 1,000s of 3rd party addons available for them. M$ gives us the basic platform & we can develop it from there. This is what sets it apart from all similar products & explains why CFS1 is still popular over 7 years after it was first released.

PS. If you stick to what you get straight out of the box you're missing a great deal. IMHO
Last edited by Hagar on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby james007 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:44 am

I could not agree with you more Hagar. I love this Sim and I would like to see it stay alive and functional as much as any other member. What I think this Sim needs the most is easy to use Mission editor. With out it, it will die a slow death.

I seen many planes beign been build and uploaded lately. I have not down loaded them for one reason only. What am I going to do with them.

My only option is use them for quick missions. I wish and hope some one can develope a good and easy to use Mission editor for this Sim soon.

Its worth it. I like diversity in almost every thing in life and this will give us one more quality Sim for us to enjoy.

This was my first Sim and will always have a place in my Heart.

James007
Last edited by james007 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
james007
Major
Major

Postby RAFAIR100 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:56 am

It has been interesting to read the responses to my original note.        I recognise that there are add-ons to the 'n' for CFS1, but it is my view that the real problem with the program is that the 'engine' technology is now long outdated.       Put the FS2004  technology into CFS1 and the program would be a winner.     The 'format' of the program is, even now, streets better than CFS2 or CFS3.
RAFAIR100
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:56 am

I think it's better than the newer games as it is, but I agree with your prognosis and was really looking forward to seeing what CFS4 would have turned out like.
If they could have updated it whilst leaving the gameplay unaffected, it woulda been a thing ta see.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby BAW0343 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:51 am

CFS1 is still verry popular, my old squad (CFS Eagles) is still going strong. Its a VERY good game, even with its downfalls, and if i was into the bullets flying evrywhere i would still play it, but i have gotten into the ATC system and procedures FS9 brings, I may someday re-install it and fly a bit but i had so much scenery i would want back its almost to much of a hastle now. It was one of my favorite games and it got me into FS and flying. I have even created an airbase for the Grey Ghosts,  its on SimV somewhere in the cfs1 scenery area. This game will last a long time and is still one of the best Combat fs out there.
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Postby H » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:19 am

I don't see much to disagree with in this thread  8).
As an added observation, denishc, former versions of Windows shows that M$ found the clouds -- however, when you're head's stuck in them, they do tend to obscure any clear view  ;).
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby denishc » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Its hard to say if there will ever be a release of an updated, improved version of CFS1, but I seriously doubt it.   As I recall MicroSoft sold the rights of the original "Combat Flight Simulator" to Atari.  Every now and then you can run across a copy of the Atari version in the "bargin" bin at Kmart, Walmart or Target.

I've heard that the original MS version of CFS1 has had problems running on later versions of Windows, what I'd like to know is if the Atari release of CFS1 solved these problems?
denishc
Captain
Captain

Postby H » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:38 am

...Every now and then you can run across a copy of the Atari version in the "bargain" bin at Kmart, Walmart or Target...
Can't speak for K-Mart or Target but it's currently on Wal-Mart shelves for under $10.
...I've heard that the original MS version of CFS1 has had problems running on later versions of Windows, what I'd like to know is if the Atari release of CFS1 solved these problems?
It did well enough on Windows 98SE. I suppose I'll have to get a gaming card for the new computer just so I can oblige you by trying it on Windows XP ::) 8)?
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:40 am

I've run it on '95, ME and XP.

Haven't run it on 98 (though I hear from the 'experts' that's the one to go for) but in the two years I've been on it, XP is far and away the best for my CFS1 (the original).

Some of the 3rd party add-ons had problems in XP but that was because some of the core Windows files had been moved around; Addresses they relied on weren't where they were 'supposed' to be.

It didn't affect CFS1 itself and I think all the major add-ons now have updated versions that are XP specific (TG2, etc).
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Combat Flight Simulator