CFS Video capture

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

CFS Video capture

Postby Horten_IX_Ho229 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:17 pm

is there a video capture program out there that works with CFS?
Horten_IX_Ho229
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: CFS Video capture

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:20 am

I don't use any myself but am aware that they have been used in the past.

As far as I'm aware the only method that worked without affecting the game, was by linking your graphic card directly to a local VCR and recording like a t.v. programme. This could then be transferred to computer after.

Software captures use so much of the systems' resources, they all have been reported to have a detrimental affect on the game itself (lock-ups, freezing, jittering, to various degrees depending on the system).

Be aware that, if using one of these in a competitive environment, your opponent may accuse you of cheating if your system starts affecting his / hers. I have seen this happen online a few times.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Padser » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:06 am

~S~

FRAPS and Java Gun Cam should work with CFS1 - they certainly worked with 2 (note that Java GunCam suggests using Windowed rather than Full-screen mode for best results, however)

There's some info on both of these programs here: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb/ ... 1136785532

Shades' comments about the lag caused by taking screenshots and what-not is a good one, though. Over in Hyperlobby's FB servers, this is recognised as a widely known cheat. Some dishonourable pilots use it as a method of shaking off opponents from their six and dodging gunfire.

My recommendation - unless you have a super high specification machine - take your live screen shots and gun cam vids offline or online among friends when everyone knows what is going on. No-one will thank you for causing lag in a game, intentionally or otherwise.

That said, it can be great fun making gun cam movies and they can look great! Look at the java guncam examples here: http://www.errthum.com/troy/warbirds/guncam/

TTFN

Pads
Padser
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:33 am

Ooo "Screenshots"!
Now, there's something I can help you with.
;D

www.EURO-Downloads.com.
You'll find the EURO Screenshot Tool in the utilities section (1st item).

We recently made this available to the public but it was originally a bespoke EURO prog. from a former member (EURO_BillyBoy). His only brief was that it shouldn't interfere with gameplay and should operate from the PrtScn button. Well, he made it better than that.

It works with M$ Paint (a graphic editing component of Windows). You can use it to take as many screenshots of your monitor's display as you like (or as can be stored on yr hard-drive) by using the PrtScn button. Each shot will be stored as a .bmp file in a special folder (default or customiseable location). These can be converted later to jpg within the same prog.

It was written for Windows 95 though and Paint was re-located in Windows XP so if you do use it, it won't work correctly until you do the following:-

Install and open the prog. A small window will open (this must be open to use the application but can be minimised or hidden). At the base of the window are three buttons. Click on the right hand one "Options", and under "Path of M$Paint.exe" you must type the new (XP) location of MSPaint, which is "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe" by default.

You will now be able to use the programme. You can also open the saved .bmp / .jpg images in 'Photoshop' or equivalent Graphics editing type prog's as normal.

The reason I make a point of recommending this is because it has the lowest latency of any similar prog I've tried or even heard of in our genre, or any genre, of game and hasn't affected any game's performance (that we're aware of) from release to date.

And the best part?
It's FREE!!!
As are all EURO sponsored prog's (although there are still some which are not available to the public yet), and other generally better prog's.
Last edited by DrRedskwirrell on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: CFS Video captu

Postby H » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:44 am

In addition to film shots, Grab/Clip/Save will save still pictures of whatever's on your screen at the time; I've made some .avi clips by editing sequenced pictures. 4th down:
http://www.simviation.com/fsutilities_gen3.htm
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:55 am

Ooo "Screenshots"!
Now, there's something I can help you with.
;D

www.EURO-Downloads.com.
You'll find the EURO Screenshot Tool in the utilities section (1st item).

We recently made this available to the public but it was originally a bespoke EURO prog. from a former member (EURO_BillyBoy). His only brief was that it shouldn't interfere with gameplay and should operate from the PrtScn button. Well, he made it better than that.

I remember trying this some years ago & was very impressed. I had no idea it was still available or that it would work with WinXP. My one complaint is that it saves shots in BMP format & only works with M$ Paint. OK that's two complaints. ;)

It all comes down to a matter of preference. I've tried various alternatives over the years but still find MW's MultiGrab does everything I want in all my M$ sims. http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/mgrab.htm
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:13 am

Yep it's still available and will work with XP as long as you edit the default  location for M$Paint.
When it was originally written most of us didn't have access to exotic stuff like Photoshop, so BillyBoy based it around M$Paint.
It saves in .bmp but there's a one-touch button to convert any file to .jpg (with customiseable compression rate) in the prog. and on the main viewing screen.
Then you just switch from .bmp to .jpg view to view the converted files.
Personally I delete the .bmp files soon as I convert.
Great detail but huuuuuuuuge files if you don't.
lolol
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby H » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 pm

It should also be noted that, if incorporating into animation, many of the animation programs will also convert the individual shots into other formats. Look at the features when selecting for an appropriate program; they're not all the same.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Horten_IX_Ho229 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:54 pm

k thanks ill try the guncam because even though i know fraps is really high quality, im not paying for it and 30 seconds isnt quite long enough for a bomb run. ive already got multi grab which couln't get any better except for being able to take pictures faster... but i dont need that anymore cause i got guncam! thanks all
Horten_IX_Ho229
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby P_J_Dunbar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:57 am

Greetings to all,

Sometime ago I tried FRAPS with good results but I found the framerate was getting sometimes really much  to slow.

To my opinion, the best solution is what I tried after: if you possess a digital camcorder is to set it on the video card output. This way you don't have to worry about the framerate and feel much more confortable to fly and fight during the recording. Afterwards, you can copy your video captures on your HD and edit them.

Wish you luck,

Pol.
P_J_Dunbar
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:24 am

~S~ Pol Sirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ltns

I agree.
I believe CS_Crimson also used this method, to great effect.
Indeed the main advantage of this over software methods is that it doesn't lag the game being recorded and ruin it for anyone else in the room.
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Combat Flight Simulator