which cfs is better?

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

which cfs is better?

Postby bubnme » Sat May 15, 2004 6:30 pm

cfs or cfs2?  seem that it's starting to lean toward cfs in the zone lately or it's been real close.  what are the pros and cons of this sim vs cfs2?
bubnme
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: which cfs is better?

Postby ozzy72 » Sun May 16, 2004 4:23 am

The graphics are better in CFS2, but its down to Theatres of War..
I have both and love them, I also have CFS3 and like that as well.
If you want to do lots of online stuff then CFS seems to be staging a comeback at the minute.
They should both be v.cheap at the moment though, so why not enjoy the best of both worlds? ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ditto58 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:09 pm

I got CFS a few years ago and practicaly wore out the cd flying with it.  

CFS2 both both impressed me and disappointed me all at the same time.

The good:  better scenery, better looking planes, better damage model.

The bad:  takes up lots of HD space and needs a very good computer to play well (I had to increase my ram to 512 and download new drivers for my graphics card before it would run smoothly and this was with a brand new computer).  I don't think the single missions or the campaigns are as good as in CFS.

Bottom line:  I did all of the single missions and the campaigns many times over in CFS, but not in CFS2.  I have spent more time in CFS2 in free flight and various combinations of winmen and opponents dogfighting.

They are both very good, though, and I am happy to have purchased both of them.
ditto58
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby bubnme » Thu May 20, 2004 1:04 pm

what video card were u using and driver update?  i am using a nividia geoforce 2 mx with 256 ram and it seems ok but if more ram helps it im all for it.
bubnme
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ozzy72 » Thu May 20, 2004 2:54 pm

With the 2MX I'd suggest CFS1 is a better bet. You really need a 64mb vid. card upwards for decent performance in CFS2 to really see the effects and kites at their best.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ditto58 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:03 pm

Hi Bubnme,

Sorry for not getting back to you-- was out of town and not near a computer.

My computer came with a Gforce 4 and 256 ram.  I put in another 256 and it worked much better.  I don't know if the driver really was an issue.

Before I added the RAM the sim would "stick" briefly every time I hit another plane. Apparently the damage effects use a lot of computer resources.
ditto58
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby bubnme » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:59 pm

now i did a little reseach and it might look like i can only upgrade to a 64 mb card based on my computer power soure at 145 watts.  i was told that a 64 mb card would work no probs... what do you guys think?   ???
bubnme
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby egypt23spitfire » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:28 am

that is quite a small psu

wht not upgrade to a 250 or 300w psu (reasonably cheap)

will definitely help take the strain off your graphics and cpu

512mb sim is the basic for cfs2 to run smooth

cheers
.........CHEERZS TALS
egypt23spitfire
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Dan » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:30 pm

Trust me, your PC can run CFS1... whatever it is. Mine is a PIII 500Mhz 128Mb SDRAM Nvidea TNT2 Pro (Acknowledged king of cr@p). I get around 35FSP, maxed out! It's pobably the easiest to make add-ons for as well. Go CFS1  8)
Dan
3DMark01 || [url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/]OCUK - The best UK shop
Dan
Major
Major

Postby bubnme » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:03 pm

ok it's been a while but i am looking to reload cfs1 to my computer.  still the same with a few upgrades to my computer.  933 mhz p3 512 ram atiradeon 9200 128 mb card.  how do you like me now?  cfs1 or cfs2?  zone still seems to have double the people there for cfs1.  thanks in advance.
bubnme
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sytse » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:10 pm

IL2 ;D
You probably can play all CFS games without problems. I never played CFS 2 or 3, but I'm still playing CFS 1 on the Zone.  ;) (And I like it ;D)
Sytse
Major
Major

Postby H » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:07 am

I got CFS3 but didn't like it (uninstalled), tried CFS2 (is OK) but prefer CFS1. I also expect the readily available, licensed reissue by Atari may well have boosted the CFS1 online users. As Dan attests, I find reworking CFS1 files a bit simpler and intend to get a WW1 mini-campaign uploaded here soon (Armistice day is the 11th); there's a number of retextures and refits done up for it, not just the few missions and .avi's.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd Re: which cfs is better?

Postby DrRedskwirrell » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:50 am

I've been playing CFS1 almost every day for 4 years (except for a brief sojourn into IL2).
I've tried CFS1,2,& 3, the various IL2 games and a few smaller ones.

My reply to your question would be 'what do you want from the game?'

For me, I want a nice, fast, simple, dogfight arena in a community where I can discuss attributes and tactics with others in a friendly constructive manner, and CFS on the Zone ticks all the boxes. The down side is that it's 7 years old and shows:- The graphics aren't 1/2 as good as any of the others; There's less variety; The controls aren't as accurate; The flight models are poor by todays standards (particularly when you compare all of these to IL2).

If you want something more realistic, go for any of the others. If you want a real fast buzz / rush and can put up with the poor graphics, come n join us old dinosaurs back in the Ridge (and ignore the few idiots, whom we still haven't been able to eradicate from the chat area).

You'll be able to tell who the good gamers are coz they'll be the ones who'll offer to help out with any problems you have and seem generally polite.

Bear in mind also, what will run on your system. Not sure you'll get IL2 or CFS3 running with sufficient degree of quality to warrant choosing good graphics over CFS1 anyway. The release of IL2 has hit both CFS1 and CFS2 badly but seems to have hit CFS2 particularly hard. Possibly because the folks who left CFS for CFS2 did so to try and get more realism from the genre.

Amazon have just announced Jan 1st as the release date for BoB (next IL2 game "Battles of Britain"). I predict their will be a lot of interest in this from the CFS1 crowd who are jealous of the graphics of later games. But they will not be impressed by the increased realism of controls/models, as this isn't why they've stuck with CFS1 all this time.

One last selling point: As old as CFS1 is, and despite the difficulties M$ are putting in everyone's way (ie, hiding the CFS access page from casual gamers, and ceasing production / sales),  it is STILL, after 7 years, attracting new gamers to it online.

What does that tell you?
www.Skwizz.co.uk
DrRedskwirrell
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby james007 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:37 am

CFS1 and CFS2 are both good Simulator. Take my word for it. They are base on two different a Theater of war thus if you fly in both games you would get a better feel of what it was like to fly in World war two in both Theaters.

CFS2 has better graphics and better planes models but that alone does make it a better Simulator.

CFS1 is smother and less complicated than CFS2 and a lot of fun to fly.

If you want to improve your simulator and see it increase in quality and experience through your program buy CFS2.

If you want to just have fun flying and fighting Buy CFS1. I have then both and I enjoy them both.

PS you can add missions and Campings of the Pacific Theater to CFS1 and European Theaters missions  and campiagns to CFS2 as well.

Their almost endless planes and addons that can bee added to this Simulators through this and others Websites dedicated to this programs.

Please buy them both and enjoy then both.

I would like to hear from you in the Future.

James007
james007
Major
Major

Postby BAW0343 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:46 am

ok  here we go..  I concider myself a CFS vet. i dunno if i am stepping over the line but..  i knew almost every exploit, i belonged to one of the best (and still going) squads  first ZAC (Zone Air Core) then merged to Eagles, now CFS_Eagles (varius spread of game caused the change)  CFS was a very open platform, as are all the flight sims from microsoft,  i enjoyed this game emensely but i have grown apart from the CFS series to move on to FS 2004 (grapics and interactive ATC got me lol)  but out of all 3 i have flown 1 and 3  wanted to try 2 but never was able to.  I flew CFS for about 6 years maby?  i dont know how long it has been out and its still one of the best ones out there. CFS 3 was a waste of money beacuse of the incompadibillity between any other version.  but if i had to pick one it would be CFS 1    and you say its comming back?  perhaps i may reinstall it and re-join my old squad?  only time will tell
Image Image
BAW0343
Major
Major

Next

Return to Combat Flight Simulator