new aircraft

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

new aircraft

Postby Goo » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:01 am

I just downloaded a bunch of new planes for CFS1. Most of them unzip just fine into the aircraft folder. Unfortunately some of them (eg ju-188) unzip to show a huge bunch of files that aren't in any particular order or folder. I'm used to being able to unzip an aircraft and it comes up as the usual panel, sound, texture etc folders that go nicely into the aircraft folder in CFS. But what do I do with these???
Goo

Re: new aircraft

Postby SilverFox441 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:10 am

Check out the file structure of a plane that works...and then make a similar structure for the planes that is buggered up.

Basic structure should look like this:

All of this is contained in the folder for the actual plane

• X.air
  • X.dp
  • aircraft.cfg
  • texture folder
    • put all .bmp files (these files might also be of another type such as .#af)
  • sound folder
    • sound.cfg file
  • panel folder
    • panel.cfg file
    • possibly a .bmp file or two
  • model folder
    • model.cfg file
    • X.mdl file

The X is used to replace the actual filename that was assigned by the author...you shouldn't have to change that info at all.

If you are still confused then read teh fine tutorial written by Pete: http://www.simviation.com/acinstall.htm :)
SilverFox441

Postby Hagar » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:50 am

Unfortunately zipfiles are not all configured in the same way & come in all shapes & sizes. If you're using WinZip make sure the "Use folder names" option is checked. Use the right-click "Extract to folder ........." option to extract the files. This will automatically extract them as they were originally configured into a new folder with the same name as the zipfile in your download directory. Never unzip downloaded zipfiles direct to the sim. This is the most common cause of installation problems.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby SilverFox441 » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:57 pm

Doh!

That's what I get for writing a mini tutorial at o'dark thirty hours! I missed one of the basic pointers. :) Thanks Hagar.

Sadly you will also find a few designers that don't really know how to zip properly...this will also result in a file that has not maintained proper folder relationships in the zip file.
SilverFox441

Return to Combat Flight Simulator