CFS1 instalation problem

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

CFS1 instalation problem

Postby freeloader » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:23 pm

I recently acquired a new PC. I had installed CFS1, 2 & 3 on it at one time. But, because of other problems, I had uninstalled everything and started over again. I now have WinXP Pro SP2 installed as the OS. I've finally gotten around to installing CFS1 again.

PROBLEM!!!
After making the installation, the sim will load and works fine up until I click on 'FLY' to begin a mission, freeflight or campaign. Then the game crashes and shuts down back to the desktop. I then get an error message about wanting to send a report back to MS.
One curious side effect is that now Windows message and dialog boxes have had their backgrounds changed to a tan color.

I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it 3X now with the same effect each time. Does anyone recognize this problem and know of a cure for it?

Thx.
FF

PS
I found this in a prior thread:

Re: cfs1 doesn't run on my new system
Last edited by freeloader on Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freeloader
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: CFS1 instalation problem

Postby Sytse » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:54 pm

Hmmm... All I can advise you is to try re-installing it again or look for the latest patch. Wish you luck.
Sytse
Major
Major

Postby H » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:23 am

Are we to assume you're playing it stock -- no add-on aircraft or missions (all aircraft must be properly installed in the aircraft folder for Ai and Flyable use)? Without specifics (maybe even with) it's a bit difficult to narrow things down (personally, I haven't run CFS on Windows XP).
However, you may peruse the CFS support site: http://support.microsoft.com/combatflightsimfaq
If the needed rectification isn't in those listings, click the "Help and Support Home" button in the upper left corner for the main support page; try it as an install issue, if necessary. Direct tech assistance is available but there may be a charge.
Last edited by H on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:12 am

Wish I could help but I have no knowledge of WinXP. If CFS1 previously ran perfectly on the same machine it seems obvious to me that this is the cause of the problem. I find this strange as I know many people who run CFS1 & even FS98 on WinXP with no problems at all.

One thought, did you try running CFS1 in Windows or Full Screen mode? Try hitting Alt + Enter when it first loads & see if that makes any difference.

PS. You don't say if you have CFS3 installed as well as CFS1. This could well be the cause of the problem.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby waco_jaco » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:06 am

I have CFS1 & CFS3 running under windows XP home.
No real big problems, so it should work (I did nothing special to make it work).

I have encountered just 2 little problems in CFS1:

1) sometimes a campaignprogres is not saved (but I learned to work around that and it did not happen for a long time now)

2) sometimes after I played CFS1 for a long time the background color of the windows message and dialog boxes are changed (just like your curious side effect?), but after a restart of windows they are back to normal so its no real problem for me.

Have you tried out to restart windows after a install and then play the game?
I can not realy help you out but hope I have encouraged you to keep on trying to find a solution.

good luck
waco_jaco
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby freeloader » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:04 am

H:
Yes. All I've tried to do is install it from the CD. Nothing added.
Thx. I'll go give MS a look to see if they have dealt with this oddity before. EDIT: just took a look and don't see anything that applies to this problem.

Hagar:
Yes, I had it installed on this machine once before. But, I did another complete reinstall of the OS (actually several times) and am now attempting to install it again on the new OS installation. It worked perfectly the first time. That's what is throwing me.
It was running in full screen by default.
I started with CFS1 and ran it. That's when I found the problem. Then I loaded CFS2. It ran OK except that I had no sound. I stopped there and didn't try to load CFS3.
Note:
I do have have Falcon4 AF installed. I might try uninstalling it and starting all over again.

Waco_jaco:
Yep, I did try rebooting and then restarting it again. It still crashes before starting the missions.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. I've installd and reinstalled this flight sim so many times over the years (I bought it when it was still fairly expensive.) on Win98se and WinXP and have never had this happen before. The only things that are different are that I have WinXP SP2 and Falcon4AF installed.

Thx guys. I'm still stumped and open to suggestions.
FF
Last edited by freeloader on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
freeloader
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:27 am

I had directed you to the flight sim support page. Although you've already tried some of these procedures, if, perhaps, you haven't checked there, I should have started you at the game support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303032
I'd heard a number of complaints about older games not working properly with XP but there are usually patches or reversions possible. I hope you find the fix soon. Let us know in either case.
Last edited by H on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator