Converting Downloaded Aircraft to AI

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Converting Downloaded Aircraft to AI

Postby bountyjumper » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:58 am

Tried the search but didn't have much luck....

Can anyone tell me if there is a simple* way to make the flyable planes useable as enemy aircraft in quick combat?  I've downloaded a number of cool planes but would like to fly against them as well.

Thanks!

Pat Brown

*Bearing in mind that I'm a complete novice.  Merely downloading a new aircraft or mission has been a great accomplishment for me!
;D
bountyjumper
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Converting Downloaded Aircraft to AI

Postby Hagar » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:33 am

Hi Pat. You can add any installed aircraft to the list of enemy aircraft with the QC Editor by Jaesen Jones. You might like to check out my tute on creating proper AI drones for CFS1. This includes links to all the tools & utilities you need, including the QC Editor. http://www.simviation.com/lair/AI%20drones.htm

PS. Not all 3rd party aircraft are suitable for use as AI drones. Some might have extended gear or stationary props. This can sometimes be fixed by animating them. You would need to have a payware utiility to do this so it's easier to look around for another version of the aircraft by a different author. Fully animated models work best in AI.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby bountyjumper » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:23 pm

Thanks a million!  This will give me plenty to work on over the holidays.

Best,

Pat
bountyjumper
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby kcib2u » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:00 am

This looks like a logical place to ask an AI related question.

Most of my D/L WWI planes fly fine in AI.

However, some of them just head straight into the ground or mountians.  It seems as though AI mode has no control over them????

Does anyone know the cause of this behavior????

Any suggestions will be appreciated

KC
kcib2u
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:00 pm

As I mentioned in my first reply, some 3rd party aircraft are not suitable as AI aircraft. This includes the flight dynamics. They might be perfectly OK as player flyable aircraft but the AI "pilots" can't handle them. The easy answer is to create a special version of the aircraft to use in AI as described in my tute. Replace the AIR file of this AI drone with a copy of the AIR file from a similar type that does perform properly. Delete the existing AIR file then rename the new one using the exact file prefix of the original.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kcib2u » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks so much for the input.

I did however find a way around the AI pilots problem.

You go to a similiar type aircraft (in my case this was a WWI two-seater recon plane).  I had one that did fly in AI and two others that did not.

I began replacing the AIRFILE records one-by-one in the flyable one with the buggy one.  I was trying to locate the record that was causing the problem.  Well all the records were replaceable and the new airfile for the buggy plane became AI Flyable.

The conclusion is that some unidentified record in an AIRFILE causes this AI pilot problem.

But you can get actual plane AIRFILE data into a GOOD base file and it will work in AI.

All of that was just FYI for whom ever might be interested.

NOW I have a new QUESTION?  In fine -tuning my WWI airplanes I wanted to set the FUEL CONSUMPTION
per hour to reflect reported endurance times.  So I finally changed the 500 Section record labelled "fuel consumption factor?"  Well the ?? is right.

Changing this number had no effect on the fuel consumption rate of the aircraft.  However it did dramatically effect the top speed of the aircraft. (about an 80% effect rate)

My question is?   Does anyone know where the actual fuel consumption rate is controlled???????

In most CFS1 & 2 planes there is no 500 Section or its
"inactive" , overriden by the 505 Section data.  505 section lists no fuel consumption factor SO HOW IS IT CONTROLLED???????

Any help will be appreciated 8)
kcib2u
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:22 pm

Found this posted at FFDS. http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials/FS2K_SFC.html
It's for FS2K but might be the same in CFS.

PS. I didn't know those extra Aircraft.cfg entries worked in CFS1 or FS2K. ???

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:20 am

Found this posted at FFDS. http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials/FS2K_SFC.html
It's for FS2K but might be the same in CFS.
PS. I didn't know those extra Aircraft.cfg entries worked in CFS1 or FS2K. ???

I've pulled a few for FS2k and even one intended for CFS2 and edited to use in CFS1; depends upon how it was formatted.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:33 am

I've pulled a few for FS2k and even one intended for CFS2 and edited to use in CFS1; depends upon how it was formatted.

They were probably updated FS98/CFS1 aircraft. What I meant is that, if memory serves me correctly, those extra Aircraft.cfg entries like [piston_engine] power_scalar = were first introduced with CFS2. I didn't think they would have any effect in CFS1 so any editing would have to be in the AIR files. I could be wrong.

PS. Check out the Aircraft.cfg of any FS98/CFS1 aircraft to see what I mean.
Last edited by Hagar on Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:59 am

They were probably updated FS98/CFS1 aircraft. What I meant is that, if memory serves me correctly, those extra Aircraft.cfg entries like [piston_engine] power_scalar = were first introduced with CFS2. I didn't think they would have any effect in CFS1 so any editing would have to be in the AIR files. I could be wrong.
PS. Check out the Aircraft.cfg of any FS98/CFS1 aircraft to see what I mean.

Another case of counter-misinterpretations. "Depending upon format" means something similar to AF99. I was basically agreeing with you. A file ediitor can put those entries into the CFS1 .air file (with an actual .air editor you just need a source file for a much faster "transfer via clipboard" process).
Last edited by H on Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby kcib2u » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks for the info.

Hagar you are correct.  The "power & thrust" entries are not valid in CFS1 cfg files.  I put them in and the execution program egnores them!  

I'm going to use the FDW (by Beckwirth) to see if I can locate these values directly in the AIR file.

Then maybe change them similiarly to the other instructions.

Probably still won't work because all of my WWI planes are driven by only 500 Section engine data!!

Oh well I give it a try!! ;D
kcib2u
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby H » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:45 pm

My game computer is nowhere near so I'm not sure of the dynamic titles; the.air file should have entries for fuel tanks. A section should provide statistics for weight dispersion (per tank locations), as well as info sections for total fuel available. Decreasing or increasing the amount of fuel in the appropriate sector would obviously affect the consumption effect.
Last edited by H on Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator