Win XP and CFS1

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Win XP and CFS1

Postby VocHarbor » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:24 am

I seem to have a hard time running my CFS1 on win XP. I'd like to know if others have the same problem and if so is there a download od something to fix this problem.
VocHarbor
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Win XP and CFS1

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:41 am

I'm running it on XP Pro with no problems whatsoever. However I've found that certain add-on aircraft don't work in XP.
What sort of trouble are you experiencing, and what ae your system specs?

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby denishc » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:02 am

Hi Ozzy,
 What add-on aircraft don't work in XP?  Can you give examples?
denishc
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:47 am

I have never used WinXP but have many friends who run CFS1 & all other M$ sims on it with no problems at all.

However I've found that certain add-on aircraft don't work in XP.

Ozzy. Read the answer to question 11 on the Abacus AA FAQ page. http://www.flightsimdownloads.com/premier/aa/aafaqs.htm
This should explain the problem with some older 3rd party aircraft & Win2000/WinXP. The conflict is with the OS & not the sim & only applies to aircraft animated with older versions of AA. The Abacus MDLFix utility should fix the problem in any M$ sim, not just FS2000. If that doesn't work try the updated MDL Repair Utility posted in Simv FS2000 & FS2002 utilities. http://www.simviation.com/fs2000utilities_ess2.htm
Last edited by Hagar on Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:25 am

It was the Mosquito FB. Thanks for the help Hagar, but now I've got CFS3, I'm not really playing 1 v.much.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hagar » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:20 am

It was the Mosquito FB. Thanks for the help Hagar, but now I've got CFS3, I'm not really playing 1 v.much.

Ozzy

Oops. I was forgetting CFS3 as I can't use it.  :-X
I should have said that the patch should fix aircraft with this problem in ALL M$ sims EXCEPT CFS3. This includes CFS2 & FS2002 which I know you still use.  ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby fm3 » Wed May 28, 2003 10:47 pm

CFS1 crashes alot on XP home edition for me, mostly during the stock missions/campaigns...wish it wasn't so...I love the BoB in cfs1
fm3
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Terry Baldwin » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:46 pm

:( I have been suffering this for ages on my win95 and XP. I am convinced it is connected to the aircraft involved, i.e. non CFS A/C.
Any A/C from the FS series is a potential CFS disaster as far as I'm concerned.
I have written a campaign featuring a Swordfish and whichever version I used caused the problem.
In the end I gave up, it still lies in my pending tray awaiting an acceptable aircraft.
My advice is to change the aircraft.  
Terry Baldwin

Postby fm3 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:55 pm

[quote] :( I have been suffering this for ages on my win95 and XP. I am convinced it is connected to the aircraft involved, i.e. non CFS A/C.
Any A/C from the FS series is a potential CFS disaster as far as I'm concerned.
I have written a campaign featuring a Swordfish and whichever version I used caused the problem.
In the end I gave up, it still lies in my pending tray awaiting an acceptable aircraft.
My advice is to change the aircraft.
fm3
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:02 pm

This is strange. Apart from the animation bug with early 3rd party aircraft I mentioned there should be no conflict with CFS & WinXP. I don't use it myself but have many friends who run CFS1 (& all other M$ sims) on XP with no problems at all.  ???

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby fm3 » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:41 pm

[quote]This is strange. Apart from the animation bug with early 3rd party aircraft I mentioned there should be no conflict with CFS & WinXP. I don't use it myself but have many friends who run CFS1 (& all other M$ sims) on XP with no problems at all.
fm3
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:05 am

If I knew anything about XP maybe I could figure it out. One last thought. CFS1 is a 16 bit application originally intended for Win95 on which it runs quite happily. Which desktop display resolution are you using? Anything higher than High Color (16 bit) would give problems even on Win9x/Me.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby fm3 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:14 pm

If I knew anything about XP maybe I could figure it out. One last thought. CFS1 is a 16 bit application originally intended for Win95 on which it runs quite happily. Which desktop display resolution are you using? Anything higher than High Color (16 bit) would give problems even on Win9x/Me.

Thanks Hagar....thought of that one but it doesn't help
fm3
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Combat Flight Simulator