Windows 10 and CFS

General discussion for CFS - the original European Air War Combat Flight Simulator

Windows 10 and CFS

Postby DaveWynn » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:39 am

This has probably been asked before (but I can't find it). Can I run CFS on windows 10? I have CFS3 running fine using the NO-CD patch but I prefer the original game. I am going to buy a second user CFS but want to know if there are any patches / fixes required. I used to multiplayer 15 or so years ago and recently my interest revived. Any help or info would be appreciated.

Dave W
DaveWynn
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Windows 10 and CFS

Postby H » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:26 am

Hagar answered this in the preceding Cfs1 on Win7 post,
...Both CFS1 & 2 run fine on Windows 10.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:34 am

H wrote:Hagar answered this in the preceding Cfs1 on Win7 post,
...Both CFS1 & 2 run fine on Windows 10.

8-)

Just to clarify. I don't have CFS1 installed to my current Windows 10 machine so cannot confirm my earlier statement.

I seem to recall that I successfully ran a backup copy of CFS1 on Win 10 from a remote drive with no problems. This would have been originally installed to my old Windows XP machine & included the No-CD patch. I haven't tried installing CFS1 from the CD on Windows 10 so there might be problems with that. I might try it later - IF I can find the CD. :doh:

I should also mention that many of my favourite little utilities are incompatible with Win 10.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:52 am

Update. I found the CD & installed CFS1 to my Windows 10 Home 64-bit system.
As always with my sims I redirected the install path to a location outside the Program Files directories, in this case C:\CFS1.
To be on the safe side I ran Setup.exe on the CD as Administrator. I didn't bother registering it.

The sim runs fine but it couldn't detect my trusty SideWinder Pro joystick. This appears to be a common problem with CFS1 since Windows 7 & you get this garbled warning on startup. Although I could calibrate my joystick from CFS Settings it still wouldn't work. :doh:

I found several tweaks/fixes posted on the web. After trying for a while without success this this one finally worked for me. https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/82858-Windows-7-and-CFS1-joystick-problem-A-FIX!!!
Please read the instructions carefully & back up any files before editing them.

CFS1 is now running perfectly. I'd forgotten how much fun it was. 8-)

Hope this is some help.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DaveWynn » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am

Many thanks to you both. Nice information, thanks Hagar for taking the time to reload from CD. Much appreciated.
DW
DaveWynn
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 am

Please let me know if you have any problems. Good Luck!

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby H » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm

My FS / CFS programs were moved to USB flash drive quite some while ago and work well enough when plugged into my Windows 7. The joystick warning screen occasions to show up when I open the settings to change the realism; I usually ignore it and my Sidewinder still works OK.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DaveWynn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks again, My joystick wouldn't work (Logitech extreme 3d pro) but your Hex edit worked a treat. :-)
DaveWynn
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am

DaveWynn wrote:Thanks again, My joystick wouldn't work (Logitech extreme 3d pro) but your Hex edit worked a treat. :-)

Excellent! I take no credit for the tweak but I'm delighted it worked for you.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Combat Flight Simulator