Stinson L-5

Showcasing specific payware addon products. This forum is where the aim of the shot is payware products. Please upload images to Simviation before posting

Re: Stinson L-5

Postby Flying Trucker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Dave

No the panels are not the same...Radios, HSI and some other instruments are different in the Default version...
Still can't figure it out...I have even moved the Panel CFG to the Desktop...made changes and replaced the File...
FSX encounters all kinds of problems...aircraft won't show properly...so have finally gave up...

Would be nice if these Developers would add an IFR Panel along with the Virtual Cockpit to their flying machines even if they are bugsmashers like the Piper Cub...etc... <<q
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby New Light » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Sorry for your troubles...

It seems F1 and A2A,Carenado, & MilViz can't seem to get their "auto config tools" to work either. Us, mere mortals, are doomed...

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi Dave

Your Avatar...were you a Diver at one time or perhaps still are :?:

Often wondered about who and if they dive on sunken war ships in the Pacific Theater...
They often say this is the only one of it's kind but I bet there are lots of things transported by ship in sealed containers that are at the bottom of the ocean.

Oh another couple of questions Dave...that Stinson L-5 being Payware...does it come with floats, amphibious floats or wheel/skis.
I would be very interested if it did AND how do you like the short field handling...have you tried any remote areas :?:

Also...is there an ADF, VOR, GPS, Autopilot...like you I am looking for something smaller than the DHC-2 Beaver...but bigger than a Cub.
Have the Carenado C185 and it works quite well for now.
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby New Light » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Flying Trucker wrote:Hi Dave

Your Avatar...were you a Diver at one time or perhaps still are :?:

Often wondered about who and if they dive on sunken war ships in the Pacific Theater...
They often say this is the only one of it's kind but I bet there are lots of things transported by ship in sealed containers that are at the bottom of the ocean.

Oh another couple of questions Dave...that Stinson L-5 being Payware...does it come with floats, amphibious floats or wheel/skis.
I would be very interested if it did AND how do you like the short field handling...have you tried any remote areas :?:

Also...is there an ADF, VOR, GPS, Autopilot...like you I am looking for something smaller than the DHC-2 Beaver...but bigger than a Cub.
Have the Carenado C185 and it works quite well for now.

Sorry for the delay Doug! My PC was in the shop, and rebuilding my stuff - again!

I have been out of the water for around 6 years. I started diving in 1998 with the aspiration of becoming a technical diver so I could do cave and wreck penetration dives on historical sites (within the law). Unfortunately, life happened and I'm stuck on a flight simulator for the foreseeable future. I have done a lot of wreck dives in the Gulf of Mexico including numerous dives off of Panama City, FL, which was (still is ???) a huge training facility for Naval aviators. Apparently in the 50's -60's, trainees were taught to ditch their aircraft right off the beach if they encountered any major problems with their aircraft, so there are quite a few sites along that stretch of the FL panhandle. I dove the Spiegel Grove soon after it was sunk in '01 (?) when it laid on it's side in FL Keys. Then again in '08 after Hurricane Katrina came along and miraculously stood it upright. One of my technical/rebreather instructors runs a regular boat to the Oriskany that I never made a dive on. I did a wreck penetration dive on a newly sunken ship in Cozumel in '04 and the Windjammer in Bonaire in '06. It is very interesting to be looking at AAA guns or a flight deck in the completely opposite context of aviation though. Yeah, it's interesting. I use to ride motorcycles and skydive back in my day too... Maybe I can live again... one day... I do have some friends who have been to Truk Lagoon and some other interesting places. They had some awesome pictures and interesting stories to tell...

As far as the Stinson L-5 is concerned. It only comes as a standard wheeled version, but it has examples of the A - F models (? I'll doubled check) which I haven't had a chance to see what the difference is between each model. The two models I "flew" (C & F models ?) before my PC went to the shop, I did notice that there was very limited use of the old style radios. I don't think the ADF worked, but I want to say that the UHF worked and the cockpit lighting (mounted flashlights basically) worked fine. It does not have an auto pilot or GPS, although you can probably add a GPS as a 2D pop-up - not sure if an AP would work. I'll see about being able to tune to VOR channels. Short field landings and take offs are easy and painless until you level off and go right through Vne speed and self destruct :doh: :doh: :doh: I'll work on posting some more info soon. It's a nice bird!

I picked up the MilViz DeHavilland DHC 2 Beaver a couple of weeks ago on sale. It's extremely nice too, but I still had problems adding the F1 GNS/GTN and MilViz/REX Wx Radar to the panel.

I love the Carenado Cessna 185 F Skywagon standard and tundra planes. I've been "flying" those regularly since they came out.

IF you are interested, PCAviation.com is having 10% off sale this weekend, and every Tuesday. They send a $5 coupon after a purchase, although you can only use one $5 coupon per month. Still, it's a pretty good deal - $22.50 USD. I just started shopping with them last month...

Best wishes,

Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 am

Much appreciated for the reply and information Dave... :clap:

Have you heard anything about a Flight Simulator Weekend hosted by Orbx in Las Vegas. Think that is where someone said it was.
Wonder if this is the first of its kind :?:
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:05 pm

What a sweet looking flyer! They really did a nice job on the interior. I just might have to break down and get this one.

Hey Doug! Thanks for the link to "learn to fly.ca" There are some great videos and other info there too. My favorites are the B-25 and the SB2C ( the only flying example in the world)

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby New Light » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:11 pm

I did see the OrbX hosted weekend. I sent my wife the link ---> 3 days ago... haven't heard back about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure if it's a different event than Sim Con held in Chicago last year. Either way, I wanted to go last year and I'd like to go this year. I might have to check my wife's email for her - maybe her hearing too... :think: :think: :think:
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Here's some still shots of the L-5A on a short field take off on runway 36, Hammond (KHDC)...

Right behind the numbers... (I did add full flaps before take off)

I forgot to check the altimeter on this shot, but you can see I was airborne just after the end of the first marker (~380')

I was at about 1,200' at the end of the 5,001' runway. I let her get a little squirrelly while trying to pause the shot.
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Here's some shots of a short field take off from runway 36 Hammond (KHDC).

Right at the edge of the numbers. Right before I applied full flaps...

She was airborne just after the first marking. I forgot to check the altimeter though...

We were above 1,200' MSL at the end of the 5,001' runway. I let her get a bit squirrelly when I reached for the Pause Button...
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby New Light » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:31 pm

I discovered this airstrip is situated completely wrong in P3D. It should be runway 10/28 1,300' x 75' instead of 18/36 ... Anyway, it's privately owned, privately used strip just north of KHDC.

Looking angry at Le Blanc Field (LS86)

I think I can, I think I can!

I did it!
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Last shots are cool...well done... :clap:

Drop me a note here in "new messages" Dave if you are going...will see what the Old Girl says...suppose it will come down to the dates...it is only one weekend also I think... <<q
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby New Light » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Sorry for the double post above. I thought I messed up and lost the post when I re-did it.

Thanks FT & Hawkeye!

Will do Doug.

I did find the L-5 uses the default GPS 500 when you hit the Shift + 1. The radios are weird. They operate but the numbers don't always show up on com, nav, xpdr, dme freq display. Also, the nav gauges are present but inoperable.

Overall, this aircraft is still a great VFR flyer. I have the same complaints about Alabeo and some Carenado aircraft. They look great, fly fine, but lack some basic functionalities. I just enjoy the OrbX views!
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Payware Screenshot Showcase