The Virtualcol - DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter X is out

Showcasing specific payware addon products. This forum is where the aim of the shot is payware products. Please upload images to Simviation before posting

Re: The Virtualcol - DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter X is out

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Sorry for the late answers, but here's what I have to say.

First this is an older post from 2015.

The Virtualcol - DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter X was on the market years before the Just Flight DHC-3 Otter.

So at the time it was the best one available for FSX/P3d.

Look them both over and ask yourself this question - Is this a MUST HAVE plane at almost $40? Or do I just want a good enough flyer at $14.50?

In this case, the cost does reflect the quality, so it comes down to which one is more important to you.

As to Prepar3d V4.1? YES. I just re-downloaded it to be sure that I had any necessary updates. No problem, it works with P3d V4.1.

The best bet on this one is to create a folder on your desktop, and install it to there. Once done, drag and drop the files to where they need to be.

BTW -If you do that a lot, or if you just want to make your life easier, put a shortcut on you desktop pointing to your flightsim aircraft.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fly37 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Fist of all thank for your clear answer... quality... money.. I will reflect on that.. and thanks for the suggestion for the installation...
maybe is cause of my 80y old, but i did not understand how do that, not the folder on desktop, but all procedurer... dont need the answer in rush.. take your time.. during that i will think about my decision... thank a lot
Fly37 Gianni
Fly37
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fly37 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Sorry I just saw now the illustration thanks

Fly37
Fly37
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:29 am

Hi,

Yes, the Virtualcol DHC-3 Otter runs under P3D4 quite happily.

When you buy (if from Virtualcol), do download the DHC-3 Otter update from your account.

To install, just create a new folder somewhere (desktop), and point both installers to it, then simply copy/paste the resulting folders and files into the corresponding directory in P3D4.

I have also found the following excellent thread under SimOutHouse where new CFG file data for both piston and turboprop powered variants is available, as well as new float contact points:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... gine-Fixes

BUT, this configuration gives a max IAS of 120 kts which is short of the maximum (139 kts), so to the SOH CFG I have added the engine scalar of 1.75.

I can obtain about 143 kts using fuel to tabs and 1/3 payload using this setup, but the good thing is that this is adjusted to max RPM of 2300 with new engine and propeller data; I'd suggest that this is essential.

Also, in the SOH thread you will find references for new VC textures (at Flightsim.com), and these are worthwhile, as are further adjustments in the SOH thread to the turboprops aircraft.CFG and panel.CFG which has been modified to take (better) King Air gauges.

Do note that I have not had time to test the turboprop model as I'm going to be busy for a bit, so I'll leave that to someone else.

With these adjustments, I would say that the Virtualcol DHC-3 Otter is a worthwhile product BUT only if bought at sale prices, otherwise at the present and full price of $14.50 (£10.91), considering the necessary CFG changes and lacklustre visuals typical of Virtualcol products, then remember that Just Flight have just released a DHC-3 and that Milviz have a DHC-3 Otter in the works plus they have just released their highly regarded P3D4 friendly DHC-2 Beaver.

That said, it is a fun aeroplane to fly, it handles reasonably (read slow and lumbering and precisely what one might expect for this type perhaps), has enough variants included for the price, and is cost effective to buy. There are references to one or two nice repaints available for it too, so do please post links to them in this thread if you go looking for them.

Hope this helps, but do let us know what you and how you get on.

Best wishes,
Fabio
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks for the SOH link. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby FabioL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 am

No worries!
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Payware Screenshot Showcase