The Virtualcol - DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter X is out

Showcasing specific payware addon products. This forum is where the aim of the shot is payware products. Please upload images to Simviation before posting

Re: The Virtualcol - DeHavilland DHC-3 Otter X is out

Postby Merlin0859 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:02 pm

Just bought this airplane and boy does it need work. Not altogether happy at the moment. I haven't tried your .cfg fixes oldairmail I hope that helps some. I'm having a terrible issue with bouncing on landing. No matter what I do it bounces! Any trouble with that anybody? I have many flight hours in GA aircraft and have not had this issue before. I'm going to try aliasing the turbine sound to sonic solutions pt-6a set. I already own it. Am considering alias the piston sounds to Aerosoft's Beaver X. After all it is the King Beaver. Hope some of this salvages my purchase! Any help on the bouncing issue would help. Thanks! :-)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:39 pm

Merlin, the config file fix will bring the aircraft within specs according to the performance info that I was able to find. And it's a definite MUST DO mod. Later when they fix it, you could update it.

As to the "bouncing on landing" problem - Don't they all do that ???

All of my aircraft do it when I land. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I'm landing it on a, relatively, short landing strip (3W5) with no problem at all. And for me that is better than normal.

Are you using the correct flap setting and speed?

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Merlin0859 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:23 am

I'm landing at PFYU. I've tried other airstrips as well. I am doing the basic same as when I attempt to land my Beaver. Maybe it's me but I don't think so. I hope it not a bigger issue but no other plane is doing it so I don't think so. Thanks and I'll try your fix. Who knows maybe that will help. It being so underpowered maybe I'm over compensating. I hope something makes me feel better about this purchase. Thanks again!
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:32 pm

OK, Merlin. I've spent a bit of time today trying to figure this out, and the simple answer is; you're right.

The Fieseler Storch is one of my STOL aircraft.

It has a hydraulic shock absorbing action that looks very similar to that of this Otter.

The Big difference is that the Storch doesn't bounce.

So I compared the aircraft.cfg file of both planes, hoping to find the cause of the bouncing.

I made various changes, reloaded the aircraft, takeoff & land. Bounce, bounce, bounce.

More changes. Bounce, bounce, bounce.

None of the changes helped.

The ski version has no problem, and neither does the amphibian version when landing on it's tires.

In fact, the amphibian versions is what I mainly use which is why I didn't notice the wheeled version bouncing.

I did the same aircraft.cfg testing, wheeled vs amphib as before with no difference.

So what we need is someone who knows what they're doing, or we need to send a letter to Virtualcol, which I just did.

I did notice that they have a 90 day warrantee. Hopefully, we won't need it.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Merlin0859 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Well at least I know I'm not losing it.:-) The fixes to the .cfg file you suggested helped tremendously. Now it will at least get off the ground. Thing is it doesn't fly to poorly once your airborne. I changed the sounds on the turbine using Sonic Solutions PT-6A sound pack. It changes it completely and it sounds great now. I may try using Aerosoft's Beaver X sounds on the piston version. Where did you get the info on the 90 day warranty? The only site I can find is in Spanish which I don't speak. French yes, Spanish no! I'm not totally ready to use the warranty but... :-)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:19 am

I went over and entered a support ticket as well. Believe it or not they replied in about an hour. They said a patch was being worked on and should be available the end of the week. They also offered me FDE files if I would test them for them. All else aside their customer support is great, I'll say that much! :-)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Hello, the AT6 Harvard/Texan and also the Noorduyn Norseman both used the PW R1340 engine. They are both available for download on Simviation . You could download them and try out the sound of the engines. If you like it just transfer the engine sound from one of them to your Otter.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Merlin0859 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:00 pm

Man is VirtuaCol's support great or what! I heard back in a little less than an hour from a very nice guy. He said a patch was on the way at the end of the week. However he said he'd send me new FDE files to test if I'd like to help. I said sure why not. I had the files this morning, on a Sunday no less! The files in my opinion completely fix the flight issues of the aircraft. Not so sluggish on take off but just right. More behaved in flight and most importantly no bounce on a landing at all! Ok the vc is still so-so but it overall is a very nice airplane! Thanks for the input on sounds. I am using the sonic solutions for the turbine. Still need to try something on the piston version though. Hope yours is going as well, oldairmail. If they haven't sent you files as well, hang in there for the patch. It's worth it! :-)
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks OAM for the power scaler tweek.Lots of power now.
Still don't like the cockpit or sound.I am thinking of the
Sonic solutions Beaver sounds would be better.

Anthin. :mrgreen:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Merlin0859 wrote:Man is VirtuaCol's support great or what! I heard back in a little less than an hour from a very nice guy. He said a patch was on the way at the end of the week. However he said he'd send me new FDE files to test if I'd like to help. I said sure why not. I had the files this morning, on a Sunday no less! The files in my opinion completely fix the flight issues of the aircraft. Not so sluggish on take off but just right. More behaved in flight and most importantly no bounce on a landing at all! Ok the vc is still so-so but it overall is a very nice airplane! Thanks for the input on sounds. I am using the sonic solutions for the turbine. Still need to try something on the piston version though. Hope yours is going as well, oldairmail. If they haven't sent you files as well, hang in there for the patch. It's worth it! :-)

I just checked their website and my download link - no update mentioned.

I've even downloaded it again (to see if the download file had the update in it), no update.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:29 pm

OK!

I just tried the update and everything is perfect!

The engine sound has been replaced and sounds incredible!

Touchdowns are perfect, assuming you do your part. :D

Definitely a buy! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:39 pm

Installed the update.Will try it out this afternoon.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Fly37 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm

OldAirmail wrote:An added note for Prepar3d flyers.

Although the website says that the Otter X is for Prepar3d too, the installer only points to the FSX install (if you still have it).

Not a problem. Just create a folder on your desktop and point the installer there. Anyone who has manually installed by "copy & paste" should find it easy as pie.

Sorry also for p3d v4?
Fly37
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby FabioL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:47 pm

I might try the Virtualcol Otter tomorrow under P3D V4, and if I do, I’ll post here whether it works.
I think it will be fine, as it’s not a very complex aircraft requiring a great deal of coding.
FabioL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fly37 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks
Fly37
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Payware Screenshot Showcase