Here We Go Again

Let loose your artistic flair! No Rules except please keep shots within 380K & 2000 pixels wide.

Here We Go Again

Postby akoyeh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:02 am

Flew Erick Cantu's 727 into KASE - Aspen, Colorado a dozen years ago. A crosswind challenge back then. Here's 2 of the 30 sequential screenshots captured...

Then today,...

...while flying Erick's L-1011 at FL360 and heading to Las Vegas, had spotted KASE - Aspen, Colorado.

Took less than 10 seconds to decide for a diversion into Sardy Field. Am strange like that...

Here we go, done this so many times it's nearly automatic. Looks to be a 5 knot tailwind for today's landing. A piece of .pie. cake.

This time of year, blowing fresh snow off of treetops is mandatory on this approach. :-)

Starboard wheels are down. Thought I'd recently switched touchdown smoke effects for this aircraft but apparently it was a fail.

"Whoa, mule, whoa! When I say whoa I mean a-whoa!!" (name that 'toon character)

This bird's a big ole' pussy cat. Too easy, only used 60% of the runway. Am strongly suspecting that a real TriStar would have a mighty big challenge performing this stunt.

Until next time...

FS2004

* editing- most shots were cropped for better action effects *

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Here We Go Again

Postby A Hobbit » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Yosemite Sam...easy peasy
A Hobbit
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:00 pm

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby A Hobbit » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:41 am

"Footie prints all over my desert"...I love Sam, he had the best one liners. Thanks for the trip down memory lane and Merry Christmas.
A Hobbit
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:10 pm

"Great Horny Toads!!" :D

Thanks, A Hobbit. Check your PMs when you have chance to, please.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:39 am

It's a holiday, am well fed, & taking another stab at this, heading back to .Lost Wages. Las Vegas. The mighty Brabazon is my trusty steed for this flight, slower though quite enjoyable. The more she's flown then all the more she's appreciated. There was only one that ever flew in real life. Am feeling quite priviledged at the opportunity to fly some aviation history again.

Up & out of KBFF, Scottsbluff again. Pretty good weather, especially after we clear the stratus clouds. Wonderful hand flyer, the Brabazon is.

This is one huge aircraft! 70 m/230 ft wingspan, wing area of nearly 500 sq. m, nearly 66K kg/145K+ lbs dry weight & twice that fully loaded. Powered by 8 Bristol
Centaurus radial engines (2 per each set of contra-rotating, wooden-bladed props). 15 m/50 ft in height, 54 m/177 ft in length. A sleek & gorgeous airframe.

Cheyenne, Wyoming below, from 12,000 ft altitude/6,000 ft AGL, peeking through the clouds. Need another few
thousand ft minimum to clear the tallest Colorado mountains. There are 53 of them in the state over 14,000 ft high.

At 17,700 ft we begin to leave contrails behind us. Climbing for FL200.

Am back to flying with 153m terrain mesh with successive buffer messes layered below. Works well for me in more ways than three, really.

Doesn't look too bad for just 153m maximum resolution terrain mesh, eh?

Great visibility today as is so often the case out here in the open west, Pike's Peak on the horizon in the left side of the shot. Nice view of Park County basin as well.

Here's a VC shot of my standard flying mode @ magnification 1.5x...

...and here's what regular 1.0x magnification looks like here.

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:48 am

Oh no... KASE - Aspen again! (down in the valley, above the aircraft in the image)

Oh yes!... KASE - Aspen again! :-)

Haven't landed a big'un in this direction for 9 years. Last time it was an Airbus Beluga.

Just a lazy-like floating in. Feels like a giant glider once she's slowed down, huge flaps, much bigger than barn doors.

Aiming for 90 KIAS, almost there. She lands great just at about 78 knots.

Am certain that the windsock was taken out by the starboard wing. :-)

Welcome back to Aspen–Pitkin County Airport.
* many shots were cropped again in this series *

Great little video of the real deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-f-I2SjHRI

Great little download of this way-fun model: https://simviation.com/1/search?submit= ... &x=14&y=10
Sounds included, they're not bad, though Gary Jone's twin Pegasus soundset is what I use: https://library.avsim.net/search.php?Se ... e=0&Page=7

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby akoyeh » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:56 am

A fine documentary on this magnificent airship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhbMZbh_O0

akoyeh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby A Hobbit » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Sorry I missed your message, was almost certain I had Ebola after Christmas Day, but I'm still alive today....Again, sorry
A Hobbit
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Edited Screenshots