Low maintenance Aircraft

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Low maintenance Aircraft

Postby smeely » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:35 am

What would be the lowest maintenance aircraft available today? I would like to know both single and twin. Piston, Turboprop, and Jet.

Thanks
You never know what other places/countries are like untill you travel there. More people should get out of their home contries, just so they can understand/know more of/about the world
smeely
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Low maintenance Aircraft

Postby expat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 am

What would be the lowest maintenance aircraft available today? I would like to know both single and twin. Piston, Turboprop, and Jet.

Thanks

As a licensed aircraft engineer, I can tell you one sure thing about aviation.................There is no such thing as a low maintenance aircraft, well not as long as you want to live to a ripe old age.....

Matt
Last edited by expat on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby smeely » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:45 am

well... yea, nothing isn't really low maintenance, but i know that there are some planes that you fly for one hour and then spend the next couple in the hanger fixing things... and then the Beechcraft kingair B200 needs a landing gear referbish every year which is expencive.
You never know what other places/countries are like untill you travel there. More people should get out of their home contries, just so they can understand/know more of/about the world
smeely
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby skoker » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 pm

::)

Even that you need to reshape every so often... ;D
skoker
Major
Major

Postby wifesaysno » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks

USUALLY single engined piston planes with fixed gear and that are not high-performance are the most low-maintenance. But as Matt indicates, that varies heavily.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:36 pm

That can vary even among the same model aircraft.  When I was in college, we had a whole fleet of identical Cessna 172s that were all built and delivered together.  Some rarely had a gripe and needed nothing but routine maintenance.  Some spent more time in pieces than flying.  Aircraft just have personalities like that.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby expat » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 am

[quote]That can vary even among the same model aircraft.
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:45 am

Cheapest piston Aircraft to own, operate, and run, etc?...

Probably a Microlight/Ultralight...>>>

http://www.planepictures.net/netsearch4 ... ine&srng=2

..or similar....

...also includes lots of fun!

Paul.... :)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wifesaysno » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:49 am

[quote][quote]That can vary even among the same model aircraft.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby jetprop » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:28 am

[quote][quote][quote]That can vary even among the same model aircraft.
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby wifesaysno » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:56 pm

[quote][quote][quote][quote]That can vary even among the same model aircraft.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks

USUALLY single engined piston planes with fixed gear and that are not high-performance are the most low-maintenance. But as Matt indicates, that varies heavily.

I have seen a Piper Cub landing in a jungle grass strip, when the left main colapsed up & it touched ground in a perfect 3 point landing: the right wheel, the tail wheel & the left wing tip. Not even a paint scrach! In my Land/Rover 109 '58 year pick-up, we went to near village Tacotalpa, got a bolt & nut plus roundels from a hardware store, put the jack under the Cub, replace the mising central bolt that holds left landing gear on it's place, took off & never saw that fumigator pilot any more ...

In Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca; I was waiting for my Sklydive turn when the Cessna 180 that carried us 12,000 feet high, lost a wheel after touch down, (the left one too ... there must be a curse on left landing gear wheels!) It only did a 180 degrees
Last edited by Jean Loup on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jean Loup » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:21 pm

[quote]
Every plane has its own mind. Referring to them as 'shes' is usually all to appropriate
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Low maintenance Aircraft?... ;)....

Jordan (Skoker) hit the nail on the head, away back.... :)....>>>

Paper Aeroplane..>>> http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... ne&x=0&y=0

A couple there....very fast... :D.....but useless in wet weather... :'(...!

Paul... ;D...!

We use the 1.10 MB model for Multiplayer air-show spectator aircraft...(low polygon model).
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Specific Aircraft Types