Is it still flyable?

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Is it still flyable?

Postby skoker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 am

It looks like its 99% still intact minus scraping, saved the engines...  is it still a good plane and would the FAA let it fly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH_AzTvnN_Q
skoker
Major
Major

Re: Is it still flyable?

Postby Dave71K » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 pm

I don't see why not, there has been worse damage to airliners that have gone on to fly again.
Dave71K

Postby Mike.. » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm

New gear, a couple of new props, and some plastic surgery to her nose and i'd imagine she'd be right as rain ;)
Last edited by Mike.. on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike..
Major
Major

Postby C » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:05 pm

You can rebuild anything. The most recent airworthy Spitfire restoration was based on an airframe that had laid under a beach for over 40 years!

In a case like this, I suspect the insurers will have the final say, particularly on older GA airframes as their value generally decreases with age.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby andy190 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 pm

You can rebuild anything.

Your right there. The Polikarpovs that Sir Tim Wallis restored had been at the bottom of a lake since World War 2.

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby Dave71K » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Your right there. The Polikarpovs that Sir Tim Wallis restored had been at the bottom of a lake since World War 2.

At what point do you go from calling it a restored aircraft to a replica because some aircraft such as those you mentioned only actually have like 5% of the original left in them and to me that doesn't make it a restoration it's a new aircraft with a old part bolted on?
Dave71K

Postby DaveSims » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 pm

At what point do you go from calling it a restored aircraft to a replica because some aircraft such as those you mentioned only actually have like 5% of the original left in them and to me that doesn't make it a restoration it's a new aircraft with a old part bolted on?

The FAA definition of a restoration, as long as it has the original data plate with serial number, it is an original aircraft.  Often times when groups are looking to find and recover a lost aircraft, they are most worried about finding the original data plate.  Every other part can be brand new, so long as it has an original factory plate.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby andy190 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Well I believe that the I-16's have more than 5% of the original plane in them. I think the fuselages are pretty much original & Sir Tim got the new parts made to the same specs as they were originally made to in the 1930

Intel Core i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro
andy190
Major
Major

Postby expat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:11 am

The FAA definition of a restoration, as long as it has the original data plate with serial number, it is an original aircraft.
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 am

Not sure what all the fuss is about. We're not talking about a major restoration here. This sort of thing happens all the time. The only question is whether the insurance company or owner think it's worth repairing.

I thought the pilot did a good job. Note that he tried to line the props up during the approach to avoid damage. Unfortunately not quite successful. As usual the news reporters were trying to make a drama out of a crisis.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:37 am

Worms. Can of. ;D

Quite a bit of the restored Grumman Wildcat population (and others) spent the best part of half a century at the bottom of Lake Michigan! The Russian examples are "special" in that the preservation conditions are generally remarkable (fresh water, peat bogs, very cold). There was an intact P-39 (IIRC) brought up about 5 years or so ago that had made an emergency landing, and the pilot was still sat in the cockpit after more than 60 years, almost perfectly preserved in the water.

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/p39/index.htm
Last edited by C on Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Re the 310 in the clip: It would have to be gone over pretty thoroughly, just in case (they stopped making these a while back, so it could be a pretty high-time airframe), but I see no reason why it would not be flyable with very little work. Just sparing the props and engines alone makes a world of difference.
I thought he looked a bit nervous there, feeling for the ground too much, but that was nice work, bumping the starters to make sure the props were out of harm's way.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ivan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:22 pm

AFAIK they managed to find some factory workers in a retirement home in russia to do those Polikarpovs in full factory finish. The only thing that will be different is that they are most likely powered by a ASh-62 instead of a M-25, as the former is still in production
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Specific Aircraft Types