How does the reverse thrust work on a Cessna Caravan?

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

How does the reverse thrust work on a Cessna Caravan?

Postby Dave71K » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm

I originally thought it would be about reversing the prop but the reverse selector is on the throttle lever so I was wondering what actually goes on when you put it in reverse?
Dave71K

Re: How does the reverse thrust work on a Cessna Caravan?

Postby Xpand » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Doesn't it invert the propeller blade angle, thus making the air go forward without changing the engine's rotation direction?
Xpand
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave71K » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 pm

Doesn't it invert the propeller blade angle, thus making the air go forward without changing the engine's rotation direction?

This is what I thought, it seems the most logic thing to do, just seems strange that is it on the throttle lever not the prop control leaver. Although that maybe to stop you putting it in reverse during flight and also so you don't have to change the prop pitch then throttle up the engine separately.
Dave71K

Postby DaveSims » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm

This is what I thought, it seems the most logic thing to do, just seems strange that is it on the throttle lever not the prop control leaver. Although that maybe to stop you putting it in reverse during flight and also so you don't have to change the prop pitch then throttle up the engine separately.

Reverse is almost always controlled by the throttle, no matter what type of aircraft.  Couple of reasons I suspect, one is so the pilot doesn't have to move his hands from the throttles during landing, and two because once the prop reverses, pulling the throttle back further increases the engine power. 
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Fishbed7701 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Of course reversing is quite different with jet engines. Usually a part of the cowling moves and just directs the air forward.
PPL(C77)
Fishbed7701
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby expat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 pm

Reverse thrust on props, it is a function of throttle and turns the prop to put a two to three degree negative angle on the prop. It is not so much reverse thrust, but think of it as a huge air break that is pushing against the forward motion of the aircraft. The reverse will only reverse the thrust when the aircraft is stationary.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Specific Aircraft Types