Airplane Design & Aesthetics

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Re: Airplane Design & Aesthetics

Postby Jayhawk Jake » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:34 am

By the way, Fly By Wire doesn't give the plane the ability to do ridiculous things, it just helps it.  The real advantage of fly by wire is that it allows for precise computer control, precision humans will never achieve.  And it doesn't allow crazy things to fly, it just makes crazy things controllable.

Almost all planes in the future will probably be FBW, mainly because it is more reliable (less moving parts), lighter (um, less parts), and more comfortable (if the plane can detect turbulance and make quick precise control adjustments, you will be much more comfortable)
AMD Athalon X6 1090T 3.2Ghz::EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB GDDR5::8GB RAM
*The opinions expressed above are my own and are in no way representative of fact or opinion of any ot
Jayhawk Jake
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby olderndirt » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:40 am

The shape of the fueslage on a boeing is a well thought out design.
A retired Boeing engineer once told me, during the era prior to widebodies, Boeing stocked only one size of fuselage tube - just sliced it different lengths for the various models.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby ShaneG_old » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Great response in your first reply, and a very unique perspective on the topic. Thanks. :)

[quote]By the way, Fly By Wire doesn't give the plane the ability to do ridiculous things, it just helps it.
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jayhawk Jake » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:29 am

[quote]Great response in your first reply, and a very unique perspective on the topic. Thanks. :)

[quote]By the way, Fly By Wire doesn't give the plane the ability to do ridiculous things, it just helps it.
AMD Athalon X6 1090T 3.2Ghz::EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti 2GB GDDR5::8GB RAM
*The opinions expressed above are my own and are in no way representative of fact or opinion of any ot
Jayhawk Jake
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby C » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:02 pm

[quote]A retired Boeing engineer once told me, during the era prior to widebodies, Boeing stocked only one size of fuselage tube - just sliced it different lengths for the various models.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Plugpennyshadow » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:07 pm

So my lazy-boy perched ontop of a GE-100 won't fly even if I equip it with FBW?  Damn!  Now what do I do with this engine?...(While looking at the old Snapper rider mower with an evil gleam in the eye!)
Plugpennyshadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Leigh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:17 am

i spoke to an Airforce pilot and asked him whats better? a boeing or a Airbus he said

The boeing is better not by look by how it performs. Because of the FBW on the AB it doesnt have good low speed control and stuff like that. its true and i just cant remember what he said but it was the basis of the FBW on the airbuses are ruining it or something to that degree! :D
Last edited by Leigh on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:20 am

i spoke to an Airforce pilot and asked him whats better? a boeing or a Airbus he said

The boeing is better not by look by how it performs. Because of the FBW on the AB it doesnt have good low speed control and stuff like that. its true and i just cant remember what he said but it was the basis of the FBW on the airbuses are ruining it or something to that degree! :D

I always understood that low speed handling is improved by the FBW. This has been demonstrated at air shows like Farnborough many times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4h7IYiZuMU&feature=related
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Leigh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:41 am

i think it was more like you dont get the feeling that your stalling with FBW then on and airbus.
Leigh
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:45 am

i think it was more like you dont get the feeling that your stalling with FBW then on and airbus.

Sorry. Can you repeat that - slowly. ::) :P

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Leigh » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:04 am

Like theres no mechanics with the airbus right so instead of feeling the stall you cant and so on i know what it is i just cant explain it well enough
Leigh
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:22 am

Like theres no mechanics with the airbus right so instead of feeling the stall you cant and so on i know what it is i just cant explain it well enough

I know what you're getting at. Providing everything is working properly it's theoretically impossible to stall an aircraft with FBW.

The control surfaces on most modern airliners & military aircraft are not directly connected to the pilot's controls whether they have FBW or not. They have "artificial feel" built into them. Aircraft without FBW have stall warning horns, warning call-outs & stick shakers/pushers to give the pilot warning of an impending stall. There's not much feel about it nowadays.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Which end of him was doing the talking?!

As Doug says, if anything FBW gives far better low speed characteristics, and protection against losing control throughout the flight envelope. :)
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BSW727 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:40 pm

I think the 757 and other earlier 7X7 series share the same cross section but the 757 has a deeper belly.

In the interest of aerodynamics, why did Boeing change the forward upper cockpit section over the front windscreens?

It is now more of a bulbous shape rather than the clean lines of of the earlier generation. I would think this would cause more induced drag and decreased laminar flow at high mach numbers than the older design.

Was this just to give more (un-needed) headroom in the cockpit?

At any rate, it doesn't look as good as its predecessors.
BSW727
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby C » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:26 am

In the interest of aerodynamics, why did Boeing change the forward upper cockpit section over the front windscreens?

Early CFD or improved wind tunnel performance perhaps?
C
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Aircraft Types