VANS RV 4-8

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

VANS RV 4-8

Postby OldReliable » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

This is a question for anyone that knows a lot about VANS RV's. I was wondering which airplane performes better. The RV 4 or the RV 8. I have been looking at information about the two tandom seaters and I know that the RV 8 is a bit bigger. So the RV 4 is probubly more manuverable, but I would like someone's take that has flown one.
I'm a wood and fabric kind of guy.
OldReliable
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: VANS RV 4-8

Postby beaky » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:16 pm

I don't know "a lot", but here's what I know:

I've only flown the RV-4, and from what I know about both types, the answer to your question depends on how, exactly, you define "performance".
They're very similar where it counts most: stall speed and takeoff/landing distances.
It's interesting to compare the two, because they can be built with the same engine.
Put a 160-hp engine in either plane, and you'll see roughly equal performance in climb and cruise.
The 8 is a bit roomier, carries more weight in people and baggage, and has more range, but the 4 will fly almost 800 miles at 170 mph while burning less than 8 gph.... and that's only with 150 hp. The one I have flown has
Last edited by beaky on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby OldReliable » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:10 pm

Thank you for answering. If I had to choose, I would go with the 4. I suppose the fuel econmy depends on the type of engine used?
OldReliable
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DaveSims » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

Thank you for answering. If I had to choose, I would go with the 4. I suppose the fuel econmy depends on the type of engine used?

That would be correct.  In aircraft, there is almost a direct relationship between horsepower and gallons per hour.  The nice thing about an RV-4, it doesn't take a whole lot of power to have fun.  We have one based here with only 125-135 horsepower, and while not the fastest RV around, still flies wonderful and is just fun.  He is only burning about 5 or 6 gph, so it is a cheap way to fly.  On the other hand we have a F-1 Rocket (www.teamrocketaircraft.com) here as well, which is an RV-4 on steroids, 260 hp.  He can cruise over 235 kts and climb like the name implies, but he is burning 10-12 gph. 
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby OldReliable » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:58 pm

About how much baggage room is there behind the seat of a rv 4? I think the specifications was 50 lbs.
OldReliable
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DaveSims » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:37 pm

There isn't a whole lot of baggage room in an RV-4.  If baggage is an issue, a -7 or -8 might make a better machine for you.  They both will give you the performance you are looking for, with a little bit more interior room.  The biggest issue with the tandem seat RVs is CoG, if you have too much weight in the back seat or baggage, it can make handling get a little tricky.  The -8 is better than the -4, since there is an extra baggage compartment in front of the cockpit, and -6 and -7 is even better, as the baggage is closer to the CoG.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby OldReliable » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Sorry that I can't ask all my questions at once, but does the rv comply with the sport plane requirments?
OldReliable
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby beaky » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:01 am

Sorry that I can't ask all my questions at once, but does the rv comply with the sport plane requirments?

You should take a look at the website... very comprehensive spec/performance/ FAQ coverage.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/

But to answer your question (assuming you mean Light Sport Aircraft): No. They're too fast. Top cruise speed for LSA-category birds is 120 kts. It might be possible to build one that only goes that fast... and meets the max. weight requirements... but it wouldn't be an RV-4/8 anymore, really.

But now there is the RV-12, which is an LSA... not quite as exciting as the others, but at least one could fly it under Sport rules, and it is a Van's... ;D
Last edited by beaky on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Specific Aircraft Types