Considering a Vans aircraft

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Considering a Vans aircraft

Postby DaveSims » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I keep thinking about building an RV.  I am still trying to decide between a -7 or -8.  I was wondering if anyone on here has any ideas.  Both myself and my girlfriend are not small people, so I don't know how we'd fit in a side by side.  We have several here at the airport, and probably should go try it.  I think I'd like the tandem seat better, feels more sporting.  But then its a size issue too.  I would primarily use the plane for local hops with the occasional cross-country.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Re: Considering a Vans aircraft

Postby beaky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 am

They are both great airplanes... if elbow room is an issue for you with the 7, just check the dimensions (I think the website has cabin dimensions listed), set up two chairs at the distance specified, and see how you fit. ;D

Or better yet, find a 7 and an 8 you can sit in... or take a ride in. It is very unlikely that an RV owner would not be willing to take you for a ride if you mention that you're thinking of building one.  ;D

The only one I've flown in is the 4, and it is a bit tight for sure. Also there is a strict limit for rear-seater weight... I think the 8 has a little more headroom, but the width is about the same.  Not sure about the rear seat weigh limit on that one.

But if you get a ride, you may feel that being a little cramped is a small price to pay... they are just so much fun to fly!! And versatile, performance-wise... the 4, for example, is great for screaming along at 10,000 feet at about 200 kts (you can actually exceed Vne in level flight in the 4), but you can also show up the Cessna drivers by cruising with power way back for fuel consumption of about 5 gph with a still-impressive cruise speed of about 130 kts.  They are also well-behaved in the pattern, with flaps that work very well. Not a beginners' airplane, really, but not so touchy that people haven't used them as a first airplane.  RVs are probably the most successful kit series ever, well-supported and well-proven. I hear they are getting easier to build, too, which is good, because it's not an "easy" project like a Sonex or whatever.

The bottom line is that there is really nothing comparable, in terms of price, operational cost, and performance, that will give you more interior room or baggage capacity. If that is a priority, you need to look at the "utility" designs that trade speed for all that stuff, I guess.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveSims » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:54 am

[quote]They are both great airplanes... if elbow room is an issue for you with the 7, just check the dimensions (I think the website has cabin dimensions listed), set up two chairs at the distance specified, and see how you fit. ;D

Or better yet, find a 7 and an 8 you can sit in... or take a ride in. It is very unlikely that an RV owner would not be willing to take you for a ride if you mention that you're thinking of building one.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:15 pm

No aircraft build is easy...
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:26 pm

Ozzy is still waiting for a cheap Merlin engine to come up on E-Bay, so he can start building his Spitfire... ;)... ;)...!

Paul.... ;D... ;D... ;D...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:55 pm

Paul, I'm busy with my investment portfolio so the next time one pops up I'll be able to buy it...... failing that Rogar (Hawker) and myself will be doing a smash 'n grab on RAF Hendon ;D ;D ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby beaky » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:57 am

Paul, I'm busy with my investment portfolio so the next time one pops up I'll be able to buy it...... failing that Rogar (Hawker) and myself will be doing a smash 'n grab on RAF Hendon ;D ;D ;D

Remember what I told you: pantomime horse. Nobody ever suspects a pantomime horse.  ;D  Of course, with a Merlin, it may have to be a pantomime hippo. But the same rule applies. :D
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby beaky » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:13 am

[quote][quote]They are both great airplanes... if elbow room is an issue for you with the 7, just check the dimensions (I think the website has cabin dimensions listed), set up two chairs at the distance specified, and see how you fit. ;D

Or better yet, find a 7 and an 8 you can sit in... or take a ride in. It is very unlikely that an RV owner would not be willing to take you for a ride if you mention that you're thinking of building one.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:59 am

I've seen a lot of those lovely little RV's & flown in the rear seat of an RV-8. I'm tall with long legs & found it comfortable enough. There is also the weight restriction to bear in mind & I was just about on the borderline at the time. (I've lost weight since then.) The one I flew in is certified for aerobatics which makes this even more critical.

This is a generalisation but most couples that use them for touring seem to go for the side-by-side versions while men who usually fly with their mates prefer the tandem cockpit. I don't know how restricted the -7 is for width compared with the tandem cockpit. I think I would take Sean's advice & try them out for yourself.

I'm not sure if there's more room for baggage in the side-by-side versions. This would be another consideration if you intend using it for touring.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:40 pm

After reading this thread, I checked into this a bit more. It looks like more than a year long project, as I have built a couple of radio controlled planes that took more than a thousand hours to complete.
Looks very interesting though.

http://www.rvbuildernet.com/Default.htm

Steve M
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:25 am

I guess I forgot to mention that IF I did build, I would go the Quick-build option which gets the fuselage and wings almost completed and eliminates the need for any jigs.

The more I look into it, the more I'm thinking a used factory built plane would work better.  Between myself and the missus, the RV just wouldn't have enough useful load regardless of where we sat, once fueled and with a couple of suitcases.  But an RV would be a fun plane to have, and I love the speed and handling.  
DaveSims
Major
Major

Return to Specific Aircraft Types