Worst 5 aircraft ever built

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Worst 5 aircraft ever built

Postby Hagar » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm

Just a bit of fun. This stems from a topic in the General forum.

List the 5 worst aircraft ever built (in your opinion) & give the reasons why.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Worst 5 aircraft ever built

Postby AMDDDA » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm

767 Tanker.

No one wants it, it's almost dead, it has only gone to nations that we were against in WW2.

Good enough?
AMDDDA
Captain
Captain

Postby C » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Mignet's Flying Flea - bit of a death trap really.

Fairey Albacore - so good that the aircraft it was to replace, the Swordfish, replaced it.

F-35 - we've proved for 45 years you only need one engine in a VTOL fighter - so it's got two, one of which spends 95% of the time as dead weight. Lightning II my bottom, I think "Dave" is better.

Tornado F3 - poor mans fighter as a 20 year stopgap for the ECA, EFA, EF2000, sorry, Typhoon. Can't turn, can refuel at height either. Can go very very fast at low level though. Just where the Bears are coming from Russia... :P

C150/2 - God-awful soulless spam can built for people who are under 6ft and 10 stone! Taught gazillions to fly though, people just like me.
Last edited by C on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BigTruck » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:05 am

I tried, and thought, and stared, and thought, had a beer, and thought some more, and came up with the conclusion that either I just dont know enough about aircraft or I just love aircraft too much to list five I would consider "worst"
Alienware X51_R2 (thank you wife) Windows 8.1, 6GB Ram, Intel Core i3-4150 CPU @3.50GHz
FSX Acceleration settings on max, no twitches or glitches.
Saitek X52 Stick and Throttle
BigTruck
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Slotback » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:08 am

F-35 - we've proved for 45 years you only need one engine in a VTOL fighter - so it's got two, one of which spends 95% of the time as dead weight. Lightning II my bottom, I think "Dave" is better.

X-32 used one engine and was deemed INFERIOR to the X-35 approach.

The front 'engine' is a fan geared to the F-135 / 136 similar to a variable cycle jet engine ala GE-F-120 that was for all intents and purposes more powerful than the single cycle F-119.

Only a B model has the lift fan.
Last edited by Slotback on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby Ivan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:21 am

[*]Yak-141 and its clones (read F-35). Why even TRY to make a supersonic VTOL jet when you have full-lengh carriers that can take a full-size fighterjet (Mig-29K on the then Tblisi / Leonid Brezhnev).
[*]Me-323: too large, too heavy, too slow
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:52 am

Well, it was the only glider they've ever stuck 6 radials on! ;D
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Mictheslik » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:03 am

Mignet's Flying Flea - bit of a death trap really.

Fairey Albacore - so good that the aircraft it was to replace, the Swordfish, replaced it.

Tornado F3 - poor mans fighter as a 20 year stopgap for the ECA, EFA, EF2000, sorry, Typhoon. Can't turn, can refuel at height either. Can go very very fast at low level though. Just where the Bears are coming from Russia... :P

C150/2 - God-awful soulless spam can built for people who are under 6ft and 10 stone! Taught gazillions to fly though, people just like me.

What....no Tristar?  ;D ;D

.mic
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:15 am

[quote]

What....no Tristar?
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Slotback » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:50 am

I don't really think there are any really bad aircraft, at least recently. Each one has a purpose and if it was so bad it would of been cancelled. However, aircraft that I DISLIKE are...:

Eurofighter Typhoon - Fantastic aircraft... but I really fustrates me when people think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Too date, it has no AESA, no TVC, and is not stealth, and is still damned expensive. Hurry up Block 3!!!

F-22 - Expensive / maintainence heavy.

Su-35 - Overhyped plane that many claim could take on the F-22... get real.

Su-27 - N001 was a joke and when people hype it up it's fustrating. Annoying when they call the Cope India exercise to show the superiority to the F-15.

[*]Yak-141 and its clones (read F-35). Why even TRY to make a supersonic VTOL jet when you have full-lengh carriers that can take a full-size fighterjet (Mig-29K on the then Tblisi / Leonid Brezhnev).

F-35B is the only STOVL version of the F-35. It's is intended to be used by Amphibious Assualt Ships and forward air bases ala USS WASP class ships / Marines. F-35C is the carrier variant and takes of NORMALLY and lands NORMALLY. Likewise, the A model is conventional takeoff / landing.

F-35 looks similar to the Yak but the method of VTOL is dissimlar.
Last edited by Slotback on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slotback

Postby machineman9 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:04 pm

There is only one 'bad' aircraft in my opinion:

Boeing 747 LCF- DREAMLIFTER

Man that is ugly even if it can carry a lot  :'(

It is the sort of flying machine I could see people feel embarrased about flying.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Hmmm... there are more than 5, but in no particular order, here's five "good" ones:
1) Christmas Bullet (flexible wings with no actual warping system; inadequate rudder. The first time anyone tried to fly one, the wings came right off it)

2)Caproni Ca60 (Basically an enormous houseboat with some crazy, heavy wings stuck on it... crashed on its maiden flight after attaining 60 ft)

3) Any of Horatio Phillips' designs (just look at a photo of one-LOL)

4)Dornier Rs.1 (a flying boat with no "step" in the hull... d'oh. It could not take off from water)

5)Vought F7U Cutlass (very strong, sometimes fast and not bad-handling in general, but its hydraulics were too complicated, a suitable powerplant was never installed, and it was very naughty in slow-flight...1/4 of the pilots in the first squadron to fly them were killed flying them within a single year!)
Last edited by beaky on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dr.bob7 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:21 pm

wow looked up the Ca60 on google....... i can see why it didnt work
Dr.bob7
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:37 pm

wow looked up the Ca60 on google....... i can see why it didnt work

:o Its amazing the contraptions they came up with back in the day.  

So far this is what I've come up with, although I don't know if I'd classify them as the worst, but just simply bad.

1. Piper Tomahawk
A trainer aircraft with the potential to bite a student who doesn't   eecute a stall properly.

2. Slingsby FireFly
The USAF Academy killed several cadets with these before pulling them from service.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby C » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:00 am

2. Slingsby FireFly
The USAF Academy killed several cadets with these before pulling them from service.

Slingsby were very unfairly "scapegoated" by the USAF over those incidents - and it makes me deepely unhappy when I see so called "interlectual" US aviation magazines talk utter rubbish about the "deadly" Firelfly. Not to mention of course, the families were all steered by their leeching lawyers into sueing Slingsby.

Every other operator has had no major problems. The fact the USAF decided to operate them from an airfield at 6500ft AMSL, and the circumstances of on or two of the accidents has alway made me wonder if it was more the way they were operated - of the three fatal crashes, 2 were pilot error (relateting to poor spin recoveries I believe), and the third and unrecoverable stall (which, had it been carried out safely, should have been high enough to abandon the aircraft, otherwise would most likely have been poor aircraft handling). The engine failure issues could well be down to where the aircraft was operated from reading the issues involved.

Nothing wrong with the aeroplane at all.
Last edited by C on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Specific Aircraft Types