Which is better?

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Which is better?

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:43 am

I have always had a particular debate with my friend about which aircraft is better and he always say's that the Spitfire is better and i say the Mustang is but we can never reach an agreement!

So i ask you the question and i would like to find out peoples opinion!

Thanks ;D
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Which is better?

Postby Groundbound1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:16 pm

It probably depends on which side of the pond you live, but without taking any historical facts into account, and basing my choice solely on looks, I have to say the Mustang (P-51D) all the way. It's been my favorite since I was little.
Last edited by Groundbound1 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby MWISimmer » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:20 pm

Ask Ozzy72 that question ...

;D
MWISimmer

Postby Groundbound1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm

;D

LOL  ;D
Groundbound1
Major
Major

Postby C » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:33 pm

When it really mattered, in 1940, the Spitfire was a much better aeroplane. ;)

Overall the Spit was a little more versatile in its wartime career, particularly considering the basic design was over 3 years old when war broke out in 1939. :)

The 'Stang certainly was revolutionary though, and a battle winner once they'd put a Merlin in the front.
Last edited by C on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby C » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:39 pm

and basing my choice solely on looks, I have to say the Mustang

Should've gone to specsavers... Mind you, there are a couple of curves on the Mustang... ;) ;D
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone for voting!!

hopefully more votes will be recieved, the vote will end in 2 weeks and ill see the overall result then, so get everyone you know to vote!! ;D
Last edited by p-51mustangfanatic on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby expat » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:01 am

I have to commit treason here, and say that the looks of the Mustang does it for me.

;D

Problem is, once he sees this thread, being a MOD and having access to the results as they come in, well I would not like to point the finger, but he is known for having a small liking huge fetish for the Spitfire............now if Ozzy and Max Mosley got together, that would be quite a party ;D ;D

Matt
Last edited by expat on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby the invisibal man » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:50 am

well as im his buddy you all know what i voted for but i think its realy hard to chose which is better we were thinking of doing a battal on a combat simulater between them
the invisibal man
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:52 am

I am of course biased and will always say a Spit. The Spit was developed into far more roles than the Mustang and apart from a shared engine (Packard Merlin) they were VERY different. The Spitfire was developed as a short-range interceptor/fighter whereas the Mustang was a long-range bomber protector.
Having spoken to a former Eagle Squadron pilot who flew Spits for the Brits and then Mustangs for the 8th USAAF he said the Spitfire was always at one with you like wearing a comfortable piece of clothing, however the Mustang could go the distance.
However recce Spits had ranges that amazed, even though they weren't designed for it, they also went into ground-attack, fighter-bomber, transport (mail and beer mostly although sometimes lots of bottles of champagne or wine) etc. A remarkably versatile aircraft considering its original design brief.
So for me it is Spitfires 8-) 8-) 8-)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:04 am

well as im his buddy you all know what i voted for but i think its realy hard to chose which is better we were thinking of doing a battal on a combat simulater between them

HA HA me and my friend try but it never works! ;D
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 am

Depends what you mean by better. Better looks, better performance, whatever. This will mainly be influenced by the side of the Atlantic you happen to have been born on. It's not possible to judge on performance as they were designed for different jobs. Personally, I think that the Spitfire is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever built. Many people say that the P-51D was the best all-round fighter produced by any country during WWII.

HA HA me and my friend try but it never works! ;D

A lot would depend on the mark of Spitfire. There are far more types of Spit than Mustang.
Last edited by Hagar on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pepper_airborne » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:08 pm

I voted spitfire, soley on the looks, because there both designed for different tasks , as has been made clear.
pepper_airborne
Major
Major

Postby C » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:01 pm

I voted spitfire, soley on the looks, because there both designed for different tasks , as has been made clear.

Initially they were both designed for the same task. It has to be remembered the the original P51 specification came from an RAF requirement for a fighter type to supplement the Spitfires and Hurricanes which were the main assets of Fighter Command at the time. What they actually asked for IIRC was a NA built P40 to bolster the numbers of UK built aircraft; NA then came back and said they could design a better aircraft in the same timescale.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:41 pm

They served very different roles... it's an unfair contest.
But assuming you mean "which is better in a one-on-one scrap with, say, a Me109", I'd have to say they each could hold their own.
as for which would prevail in a Spit-vs-Mustang shootout, I'd guess the pilot who knew his plane best would win.

If I had the money for only one of them, it'd be a very tough call... but I'd most likely choose a Hurricane. ;D

If I had the money for both, I'd get a P-38. ;D ;D
Last edited by beaky on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Specific Aircraft Types