Boeing 707?

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Re: What do you know about this airplane?

Postby Rivers » Fri May 02, 2003 1:32 am

Seems my History Channel info is not exactly correct.
Sorry people, but it's not the first time.

History Channel have probably taken the phrase "first SUCCESSFUL" jetliner" and used some license.

I've come across this before. I have them on tape (of course) with regard to most of the assersions I make, and attribute to them. (I tape all the Aircraft and WWII episodes, when I can).
Another instance that comes to mind, which Hawker is aware of. They clearly state in a promotion of an upcoming Doco of the P38, that it was "responsible for shooting down the most aircraft in WWII". It turns out in the program itself, they "adjust" this with the phrase "most JAPANESE aircraft in WWII".

I should learn to be more careful of their EXACT meaning...............lol ;D

Thanks for the corrected info.    ;D ;)

There is no problem in saying something incorrect here ;) this post is educational and no one learns anything without making some mistakes, I
Rivers
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Mr. Bones » Fri May 02, 2003 3:27 am

i like the idea very much. every month a new plane...can't wait untill we talk about bombers  ;)
Raw power...the J-58.

My Anet collection.
Mr. Bones
Major
Major

Postby Ivan » Fri May 02, 2003 7:49 am

is it time for a new one already?

About the Tu-154, there is a rumout that every part is made in such a way that it only fits in the intended place and nowhere else... to keep the production going after the afternoon break.
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby tralfaz » Fri May 02, 2003 10:52 am

;)First "AF1" was a USAF C-54 (DC-4) nicknamed "Sacred Cow."  It was put together for FDR, used by Truman and Eisenhower.

tralfaz

Postby Oso » Fri May 02, 2003 10:44 pm

I remember Ike getting off of a 4 prop'r - and seeing footage of Truman - I was thinking maybe a Connie - but now that you mention it - I think you are right - DC4

MY GOD!!! I remember when Ike was President! I am old! Fozzer! How do I deal with this?

BTW - the Air Force One 707 discussed earlier - was the same that carried Kennedy's body to Washington - and used for many years after that - I think maybe it is still in reserve and was called up by Bubba or Poppa George once when the 747 went off the runway or something like that.
Last edited by Oso on Fri May 02, 2003 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oso

Postby Professor Brensec » Sat May 03, 2003 2:01 pm

I remember Ike getting off of a 4 prop'r - and seeing footage of Truman - I was thinking maybe a Connie - but now that you mention it - I think you are right - DC4

MY GOD!!! I remember when Ike was President! I am old! Fozzer! How do I deal with this?

BTW - the Air Force One 707 discussed earlier - was the same that carried Kennedy's body to Washington - and used for many years after that - I think maybe it is still in reserve and was called up by Bubba or Poppa George once when the 747 went off the runway or something like that.

How old would that make the 707 used by Kennedy? Was it he who commissioned it? (That would make it around 42 - 43 years old).

P.S. Re your reference to "Bubba or Poppa", Oso. I think I've asked this once before. What is it about the American media that has them incessantly calling the President George "DOUBLE YOU" Bush. We all know who they mean, for for God's sake. Do they think we are all idiots and don't know that the "Mr Bush" they would be speaking of in regard to current matters would be "the younger".
Just personally, it annoys the crap out of me to continually hear him referred to in this "elongated" fashion.
I suspect he is probably peeved occasionally, when he sees he is continually referred to "in deference" to his father.  ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sat May 03, 2003 3:02 pm

well - looks like it's working!

OK - next question - where do we put this - what heading & what sub heading>

I can't be expected to come up with all the ideas guys.. !! :)

I love it when someone else does - but I also need you guys to tell me what to do with this one...

Surely it's gotta be under Real Aviation?
8)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Sat May 03, 2003 3:04 pm

how about general aviation??
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Rifleman » Sat May 03, 2003 8:45 pm

Ok so the first one will be the Boeing 707 tell everything you know freely

Depending on how its outfitted inside, its either a bus or a truck..........definately not a sporty cruiser or family sedan........  ;D
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby loomex » Sat May 03, 2003 8:54 pm

how about general aviation??

How about under Real Aviation section with a new section called Aircraft of the week. Each entry should have only the name of the plane ex...Boeing 707.  Rules should say just only  info, myths and facts about that plane and no opinions. That seems to attract long debates way off the subject.  
I love a good debate, but it wouldn't work well in this section.

Of course This is just one persons idea. ;D
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ,2.70 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1045T(6-core), two HD (1TB and 500GB), 8gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570,
loomex
Major
Major

Postby Oso » Sat May 03, 2003 9:54 pm

Bubba is Clinton. The reason the media does that "Dubya" thing is part and parcel of the liberal philosophy - which the media is a backer of - you are not smart enough to think on your own - you can not make decisions on your own - especially regarding your well being and welfare of your family - since you are that stupid we must put a tag on "Dubya" so youins 'll know who we be talkin bout.

It is also an insult. About like calling Bush "Forest Gump". That is why I call Clinton "Bubba" - same insult.  ;D

So it just boils down to nuances of American politics. That is why the conservatives among us take offence at the "Bush is dumb" jokes - it started as a means to discredit him in the election - it is far from true. But the liberals still use it - they cannot beat him on a debate of the issues so they badmouth him - call him stupid and a draft dodger - Hmmmm - Wasn't it ok with them that Clinton was a draft dodger - but not ok for Bush? Hmmm

BTW - Bush wasn't  - it was more hooey fabricated by the media to influence the election.
Oso

Postby Ivan » Sun May 04, 2003 1:33 am

[quote]Bubba is Clinton. The reason the media does that "Dubya" thing is part and parcel of the liberal philosophy - which the media is a backer of - you are not smart enough to think on your own - you can not make decisions on your own - especially regarding your well being and welfare of your family - since you are that stupid we must put a tag on "Dubya" so youins 'll know who we be talkin bout.

It is also an insult. About like calling Bush "Forest Gump". That is why I call Clinton "Bubba" - same insult.
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Oso » Sun May 04, 2003 9:07 pm

P.S. Re your reference to "Bubba or Poppa", Oso. I think I've asked this once before. What is it about the American media that has them incessantly calling the President George "DOUBLE YOU" Bush. We all know who they mean, for for God's sake. Do they think we are all idiots and don't know that the "Mr Bush" they would be speaking of in regard to current matters would be "the younger".
Just personally, it annoys the crap out of me to continually hear him referred to in this "elongated" fashion.
I suspect he is probably peeved occasionally, when he sees he is continually referred to "in deference" to his father.    

Was a direct response to this post Ivan which was 5 posts above mine.
Oso

Postby Professor Brensec » Sun May 04, 2003 9:48 pm

Thanks for the info, Oso.

If it's anyones' fault, Ivan, it's mine. I asked the question, in direct reference to a valid post. When I just saw Osos' reply, I thought to myself "this is a bit off topic. maybe I should have asked the question elsewhere". But to do that would have meant starting a new thread and explaining my need to ask etc, etc.

Sometimes, I think it's alright to slip off topic a little (as I'm now doing) so long as it doesn't disrupt the flow of ideas or start debates about something totally unrelated.
If this is the end of it (and as far as I'm concerned, my question has been answered) then, I and a few others may have learnt something and we can get back to the 707.
So forgive me my transgression, I plead.  ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Ivan » Mon May 05, 2003 3:18 am

ok no offence meant.

Why did NWA use both 707's and DC-8-30's
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Aircraft Types