P40 two seater (another one)

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Re: P40 two seater (another one)

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:45 pm

Most Spits from MkIX onwards had a 29 gallon tank behind the pilot. The later Mustangs also had a tank behind the pilot but I've read that this tank when full and with a full load on the plane did cause a few handling problems!
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:45 am

Most Spits from MkIX onwards had a 29 gallon tank behind the pilot. The later Mustangs also had a tank behind the pilot but I've read that this tank when full and with a full load on the plane did cause a few handling problems!

I recall seeing in the History Channel Doco on the P51-D that the pilots (from their own mouths), purposely drained that fuselage tank first because it had such a bad effect on the handling of the plane.
One of the pilots said that they were actually going against 'SOP' (although fighter pilots did have a good deal of latitude in these matters). They were supposed to get as much out of the 'drop tanks' first, before the might have to drop them for action, but he said that the value of getting rid of the fuel in that fusealge tank first was worth the risk of running low because it could mean the great advantage in a dogfight.  ;D ;)

P.S. Hagar, that pic of the 'genuine' P40 trainer shows that there is a huge difference in the later conversions (far less space taken in the later conversion), which must obviously be only for 'pillion' passengers.  ;D ;D ;)
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:21 am

I recall seeing in the History Channel Doco on the P51-D that the pilots (from their own mouths), purposely drained that fuselage tank first because it had such a bad effect on the handling of the plane.

Hope you don't mean that in the literal sense. I have visions of them sucking on a rubber pipe to siphon it out like I used to in the old days. LOL

P.S. Hagar, that pic of the 'genuine' P40 trainer shows that there is a huge difference in the later conversions (far less space taken in the later conversion), which must obviously be only for 'pillion' passengers.  ;D ;D ;)

Also note what I assume is a periscope fitted above the rear canopy. Various methods were used to give the instructor better forward vision. The Miles Master advanced trainer (similar to the Harvard) had a special rear seat which could be raised so the instructor's head was above the canopy during take-off & landing. The top section of the canopy was hinged to form a windscreen. The passenger conversions would not need anything like this.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:31 pm

This TP-40N is one of about 40 factory-built dual-control P-40?s during the war.  Used mostly for training, some were used in combat areas as squadron hacks or for flying dignitaries or Generals around.
This aircraft was acquired when  Kermit purchased the Tallmantz collection in 1985.  It was used in the movies, "Tora, Tora, Tora" and "Death Chase".  After  Kermit flew the aircraft home to Florida, one of the seal-sealing fuel cells began to leak.  The decision was made to go through this valuable aircraft, as it had never been restored.  Restoration began in the late eighties but was interrupted when Hurricane Andrew came through Miami in 1992.  Some parts were lost when the shop doors and roof left the restoration building, but everything was replaced or remade.  The aircraft has been restored to a very original condition including hand-spliced control cables, original instructor?s mirror, dummy guns and gun sight. This is the only example left in the worldand has been meticulously restored by Vincent Tirado and the volunteers at the Weeks Air Museum in Miami, Florida.

This is from the Weeks museum web site. Sorry they didn't have a picture guys, I'll work on it! :'(
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:42 pm

There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:11 pm

Lol.  That explains the massive range then....

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:16 am

Very amusing, my friend. LMAO  ;D

If anyone else had defaced my Lovely P40 like that, I would be planning the 'Revenge of the Century' right now.

(But you can have that one, and that one only.......for free.......... ;D ;D ;))
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Specific Aircraft Types