P40 Two-seater/Trainer?

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

P40 Two-seater/Trainer?

Postby Professor Brensec » Sun May 04, 2003 10:54 pm

I came across this during a search I did for a good P40 pic a while ago. I posted it in a previous thread disussing the P40, but no-one in that thread knew much about this particular plane.

Does anyone know where this two-seater is or anything about it. Were there any trainers converted during the War? etc
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Sun May 04, 2003 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.ra.online-plus.biz

I cried because I had no shoes - until I saw a man who had no feet.
Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Re: P40 Two-seater/Trainer?

Postby BFMF » Sun May 04, 2003 11:04 pm

I didn't realize there was a 2 seater model
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Deputy » Sun May 04, 2003 11:11 pm

'Tis a trainer. They rarely made two-seaters unless they had to - a trainer had to have two seats. . . . .  ::)
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Sun May 04, 2003 11:23 pm

[quote]'Tis a trainer. They rarely made two-seaters unless they had to - a trainer had to have two seats. . . . .

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Rifleman » Mon May 05, 2003 12:22 am

Follow this link, there is mention of two trainer variants

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/p40warhawk.html
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon May 05, 2003 2:34 am

[quote]

I'm thinking it may have been converted recently (in the last 20-30 years) for joyflights or just privately taking up friends etc. Like that Lady in England that has the Spitfire trainer. She has a two year waiting list for joyflights that cost a fortune.
It would be a great way to make your plane pay for itself.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon May 05, 2003 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Ivan » Mon May 05, 2003 2:58 am

Hagar, LOADS of early IL-2's were converted to two seaters in the war to incorporate a tail gunner.

result: most dangerous job in the russian airforce, because the armor wasn't that good on the rear side as it was on the front side
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hagar » Mon May 05, 2003 3:10 am

Thanks Ivan. I'm very interested in all this stuff & did read something about those IL-2s a while ago. I often wonder just how reliable some of this information is. It's great to have confirmation from your part of the world.  ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Professor Brensec » Mon May 05, 2003 4:28 am

Great link, Rifle.

I've seen the Warbirds site before but must have missed that bit. I wonder how many of the trainers they mention were actually built.
In another thread on the forum today, the "Most immortal" thread, I chose the P40 as my vote, for the reasons I mentioned there. I must add the total production of 15,000 which certainly puts it well above many of the popular fighters except the most prolific.

The P51 section in that site makes for interesting reading too.

P.S. They mention the P51C having a 'Bulging' canopy as opposed to the "teardrop" canopy of the P51D. Does anyone have a shot of the "C' with this canopy they mention?

You gotta love this shot, though!
Last edited by Professor Brensec on Mon May 05, 2003 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Mon May 05, 2003 9:11 am

Hi Hagar, I've been looking into the Soviet Spitfires for a little while now, and it appears tragically that no more survive. I do have a few poor quality B&W shots, and some artists impressions, but v.little is known about how the conversions were done (beyond the basic chop), and even less is known about the pilots!

Alas :(

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rifleman » Mon May 05, 2003 9:26 am

Brensec, here are a few different canopy profiles for you to peruse........not sure how accurate they are, but personally I have seen all these types before, including the "Malcolm" stye on the razorback..........
http://www.flightjournal.com/fj/plane_profiles/p-51_mustang/p-51_mustang_sideviews.asp

And from this link, I think I can surmise that the bubble-topped razor-back is the B/C model that you have in question............
P.S. They mention the P51C having a 'Bulging' canopy as opposed to the "teardrop" canopy of the P51D. Does anyone have a shot of the "C' with this canopy they mention?

http://www.p51.mustangsmustangs.com/p51Production.shtml
Last edited by Rifleman on Mon May 05, 2003 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon May 05, 2003 8:49 pm

Point of information - the IL-2 initially started out as a single seater, and while some (number unknown?) were converted to two-seaters in the field, the IL-2M was the standard production two seater - with gunner.

Anecdotal sidebar:  ... most gunners supposedly were drawn from convicts, promised their freedom if they survived x number of missions.... but if they were close to completing the number, they woud be transferred. ... apparently IL-2M gunner mortality was high, and IL-2 losses happened when the enemy fighters realized the gunner was dead/incapacitated, because the gun would flop down... a spring mechanism was devised to hold the gun up...

Dedicated dual-control versions of the "Sturmovik" were designated U-Il-2 or Il-2U ...

Of course, totally anecedotal, and I can't even remember where I read the stuff, but...

Hagar, LOADS of early IL-2's were converted to two seaters in the war to incorporate a tail gunner.

result: most dangerous job in the russian airforce, because the armor wasn't that good on the rear side as it was on the front side
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Tue May 06, 2003 2:27 am

According to my quick bit of reserch, there are only two two seat P-40's remaining. The only one I can find out anything about is the sole surviving factory built TP-40N-6-CU belonging to Mr. Kermit Weeks. This plane is just coming to the end of a total rebuild, so the one in your photo is most likely the other one. Your aircraft must have had a second seat fitted some time during it's life but I can't find any details just now. I'll keep looking.
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby Professor Brensec » Wed May 07, 2003 5:35 am

I'd be interested to know if it is a "pillion" seat or an "operational" training type seat.

P.S. The lady in England who has the Two-seater Spit, Carolyn Grace. Is hers' merely a "passenger seat" or does it have full controls?  ;D

Professor Brensec
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Wed May 07, 2003 6:39 am

[quote]
P.S. The lady in England who has the Two-seater Spit, Carolyn Grace. Is hers' merely a "passenger seat" or does it have full controls?
Last edited by Hagar on Wed May 07, 2003 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Specific Aircraft Types