Which is better?

Discussion on Specific Aircraft Types. Close up photos particularly welcome. Please keep ON TOPIC :)

Re: Which is better?

Postby a1 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:47 pm

The P-51 was ment to replace the Spitfire so if you look at that only info the P-51 would be better. But yes I would prefer a P-38 over those two. P-38s are faster and have more firepower.
790i : QX9650 : 4Gb DDR3 : GeForce 8800 GTX : 1 WD Raptor : 1 WD VelociRaptor 150
a1
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:46 am

The P-51 was ment to replace the Spitfire

It was meant to do no such thing. As my previous post said, it came out of an RAF wish to acquire licence built P-40s to supplement British aircraft (remembering that in 1940 British aircraft production was at full capacity).

The Spitfire was continually developed as required - remember at the time of the P-51's genesis the MkII Spit was the latest; and they went up to the Mk22 postwar... ;) If anything the Hurricane would be more in need of replacing - and the last of those left the production line in 1944!
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:03 am

The P-51 was ment to replace the Spitfire

It was meant to do no such thing. As my previous post said, it came out of an RAF wish to acquire licence built P-40s to supplement British aircraft (remembering that in 1940 British aircraft production was at full capacity).

The Spitfire was continually developed as required - remember at the time of the P-51's genesis the MkII Spit was the latest; and they went up to the Mk22 postwar... ;) If anything the Hurricane would be more in need of replacing - and the last of those left the production line in 1944!

The problem i find with the soit is that they hd soo many differnet varients that it is as if they couldn't get it right and had to keep changing it! were as the mustang it was develped from being the A type to the H type (with other wierd varients)

Overall to me the mustang is better due to secifications such as speed manueverbility and g loads also visibilty was better and the undercarrage was far better due to it being wide track!
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby C » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 am

The problem i find with the soit is that they hd soo many differnet varients that it is as if they couldn't get it right and had to keep changing it! were as the mustang it was develped from being the A type to the H type (with other wierd varients

The Spitfire evolved along with the continued development RR Merlin (you needed quite a different airframe to hold a 1600hp Merlin, when the basic Merlin at the start of the war developed 1030hp!), and then the Griffon (major airframe changes due to a huge leap in power and a major change in balance due to the size of the engine), not because of the design "not being right". Most of the major Mk changes were due to new engines being available (I & II to V; V to IX; IX to XII then XIV; XIV to 21 and 22).

By the time the RR/Packard Merlin made it into the P51 (remembering at the time, with reference to your point below about visibility, the Mustang was the high backed B/C), the Spit was already almost at its definitive Mk with the Merlin (Mk IX). You also make the point above that the Mustang itself had several variations - with the H model being quite a lot different to the poorly-engine P51A

Overall to me the mustang is better due to secifications such as speed manueverbility and g loads also visibilty was better and the undercarrage was far better due to it being wide track!

Yep, the wide track undercarriage is a nicety and certainly an advantage the RAF knew about. When the pressure of war was over, and Vickers-Supermarine developed the Spiteful, one of the main changes was a switch the a wide track u/c unit.

The Spit had a bubble canopy too, with the the Mk XVI (development of the IX), the XIV and all subsequent variants bar the XIX and 21. ;)

The Spit also had a useful naval career too (as the Seafire). Another example of its versatility. ;)
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm

I think the Mustang has the edge in looks, but the Spitfire is much more of a classic.

Mustfire!
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Ah, the eternal debate. How many times have we had this discussion then? ::) I happen to like the Mustang. If you needed a plane to take you all the way to Berlin, have a scrap with a bunch of Fw190s and then shoot up a few trains on the way home just for good measure, the Mustang was your plane. However if we
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Postby C » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:51 pm

I think the Mustang has the edge in looks,

Specsavers....

I think Ozzy has some work to do... ;D

But the P-47 could keep flying with a cylinder shot out

And could outrun anything in a dive. Shows what you can do if you have a 20ton lead engine on the front! ;D
Last edited by C on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:36 am

Id like to ongratulate C on his fantastic field of kowledge o the spitfire!! ;) :)  Well done

I have loads of info on the mustang and would love to have a face to face debate with you lol! ;D
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pepper_airborne » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:01 am

Hehe, interesting topic, offcourse, we all know that a ME-109 would blow both of em right out of the sky ;D.
pepper_airborne
Major
Major

Postby the invisibal man » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:14 pm

i know this is nothing to do with topic but do you need to pay to use the fourm
the invisibal man
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby C » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:08 pm

Hehe, interesting topic, offcourse, we all know that a ME-109 would blow both of em right out of the sky ;D.

Me109 doesn't, and never did exist... ;)
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:17 pm

well Messerschmit Bf-109 also called the ME 109
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby C » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm

I was being pedantic... ;) ;D

Bf/ Me designations is one of my favourite subjects for inane pedantry. Mind you, I can never remember with which Messerschmitt it changed (although it was 15something or 16something) from Bf to Me. ;) ;D
Last edited by C on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:40 am

I was being pedantic... ;) ;D

Bf/ Me designations is one of my favourite subjects for inane pedantry. Mind you, I can never remember with which Messerschmitt it changed (although it was 15something or 16something) from Bf to Me. ;) ;D

He he! ;D

Dosen't matter we both know that the Bf-109 could most definatley be absolutley obliterated by either the spitfire or the mustang!!! ;D ;D ;)
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby p-51mustangfanatic » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 am

LOL! judging by the rsult no one can decide on which is better!!!!! ;D
p-51mustangfanatic
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Specific Aircraft Types