2019, D-Day's 75th

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

2019, D-Day's 75th

Postby H » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:11 am

A year from this June 6, 2018, marks 75 years since the Allied invasion of Normandy and Operation Overlord; they not only landed on the beach but dropped inland from the air. Most of us Stateside and around the world may not have the opportunity to attend but, for those of you in Britain and France, there's ticket info at the bottom of the page.
2019, D-Day's 75th
(forgive their typos)

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: 2019, D-Day's 75th

Postby Fozzer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:48 am

1st September 1939 - 2nd September 1945.

Germany and Japan.

When the conflagration finally ended...>>>>

http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/war/end.html

I was 5 years old when it started in 1939, and 11 years old when it finally ended on the 2nd September 1945.

Time for lots of Street Parties!

I remember much of it today!

...and today we buy BMW's and Honda's.... :o ..... ;) ....!

Paul...... A war-time evacuee from the City of London!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Fozzer wrote:1st September 1939 - 2nd September 1945.

Germany and Japan.

When the conflagration finally ended...>>>>

http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/war/end.html

I was 5 years old when it started in 1939, and 11 years old when it finally ended on the 2nd September 1945.

Time for lots of Street Parties!

I remember much of it today!

...and today we buy BMW's and Honda's.... :o ..... ;) ....!

Paul...... A war-time evacuee from the City of London!

HOLA PAUL
Me mexican now -like a friend of mine said "los mexicanos nacemos donde se nos dá la chingada gana"- was post-war refugee in Pamplona. Learned another language & started primary school.
jean <<q
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Apex » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks for that. I always remember December 7th, 1941 and June 6th, 1944 as being important dates in WW2 and also history.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby H » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 am

Fozzer wrote:1st September 1939 - 2nd September 1945...
... A war-time evacuee from the City of London!
London Blitz.. but Germany eventually paid with the Berlin Qits. I worked with a former Nazi Youth member who migrated to the U.S. after the war; he said the children played on the unexploded bombs. There was nowhere to evacuate for the common civilians -- the Russians pushing in from the east and the other Allies invading from the west and south.
My parents were married, paid by courtesy of a local Brooklyn Pepsi bottling company, by an Army chaplain the month after Germany's surrender; however, i wasn't walking on this planet until the Forgotten War (Korea).

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Apex » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 am

I always mark 12.07.41 and 06.06.44 as days respect and remembrance for those who gave their lives so that we here and now, and many there and then, could live in a free society. We owe them more than we can give. But we can give them this:

"Every person in this auditorium is under the protection of our American flag. If you don't want to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, you don't have to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, but you will stand in respect while the rest of us do."

- My 10th grade auditorium homeroom teacher, 1965.

The very next day, the few sitters stood in silence while the rest of us paid our respects to those who gave their lives just so we could be standing there reciting the Pledge.

It was the best high school lesson I learned, and have never forgotten it.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby hertzie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Please take a look at the "DAKS over Normandy"- site and if you can afford it, sponsor them. I do hope they'll manage and if I'm still alive I'll be there June 6th next year.

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 pm

hertzie wrote:Please take a look at the "DAKS over Normandy"- site and if you can afford it, sponsor them. I do hope they'll manage and if I'm still alive I'll be there June 6th next year.

hertzie

I hope you make it...seriously. Also, for those not in the know, the C-47 "That's All, Brother" will again lead the charge like it did 75 years before, the very first C-47 to get aloft and over the drop site on D-Day. They accidentally found the plane, languishing, in Wisconsin; they bought it after realizing what they had, fully restored it to flying condition. I got to see the live feed of the first restoration flight, it was incredible. I wanted to do the 75th Anniversary drop in Normandy but couldn't raise the money for jump school or the trip. :(
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Postby Bofredrik » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:33 am

Let us agree with one thing:

WAR I WRONG.
Several countries sent their young men (and some woman)
to be killed in WW2.
An estimated total 70-85 million people perished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

NO heroes. Only victims.
Bofredrik
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Bofredrik wrote:Let us agree with one thing:

WAR I WRONG.
Several countries sent their young men (and some woman)
to be killed in WW2.
An estimated total 70-85 million people perished.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

NO heroes. Only victims.

I've been reading some of your other comments on this subject and as proactively inflammatory as they tend to be, you are right in this much: war IS wrong. Even mainland Europe said so before WW2, excepting Germany. They were still cleaning up after WW1. But why do you seem to attack those who (eventually) reacted and responded to that belligerence, who tried to keep neutral until it was no longer possible? You seem to have no words against the aggressors. Would you rather that we all stood aside and let Hitler have that "free hand" he demanded between 1938 and 1945? Hitler wanted war, prayed for it, tested his neighbors for it; he was snagging up neighboring countries by force, slaughtering thousands (which would turn to millions), killing not only soldiers but committing genocides of Romanians, Czechs, Poles, the Russians and more...with a special emphasis on Jews. And he would've succeeded. I have Dutch Jew relatives who both survived and died in concentration and extermination camps. It was easy for a fanatical German people to look upon their neighbors as untermenschen and attack them without conscience; they believed themselves ethically, ethnically, morally and genetically superior. I guess it helped them sleep at night.

On the matter of genocides, I have, in my own lifetime, seen a genocide of nearly one million Rwandan Tutsi men, women, children and babies...hacked by machete-wielding Rwandan Hutus. This was not spur-of-the-moment...this was well-foreplanned. This occurred in the summer months of 1994...and absolutely NOBODY of power or influence ran interference against it. And that included President Clinton.

War is wrong...but to do nothing against the war-crazed is far, far worse.

I don't really enjoy rhetoric; in fact, I directly oppose it. So here I am. I am one of the lucky few who was born in an era whereas between 18-26 years later we'd not be involved in another major conflict involving a draft and death. I am that lucky. I trained in the US Army in early '88 for 51 days before several other new recruits and myself were suddenly released and sent home due to the Gramm-Rudman-Hollings Emergency Act (to balance the federal budget); had I not been sent home, my MOS would've easily sent me to Kuwait for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. That's just how it would've went. But apart from that, those 51 days of training gave me a perspective of those who served and continue to serve. I developed a healthy respect for the foot-soldier, who has no choice or latitude and cannot pick or choose; he does...and perhaps dies. He doesn't pray for war, but he does prepare for it. In earnest. A far cry from the NSDAP Deutschen Wehrmacht, the soldiers of which were sworn to blind obedience to their Führer as a god, in addition to national duty. Fanaticism. At least other soldiers had the right to conscientiously object. Very few did.

I wish you had a fairer, more-balanced perspective on the matter. You have your right to an opinion, but my opinion of your opinions is that they tend to be inflammatory, disrespectful, hit-and-run reckless. This one only quotes a Wikipedia page to vaguely support it and cites nothing else: no deeper personal insight, no other facts, nothing. Just sculpted all-or-nothing words to shame. And personally, I think I've wasted enough words in response to your post. Your words sure make it difficult to respect you.
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Return to History