100 Years Ago or more...

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

100 Years Ago or more...

Postby H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:52 am

Not the best associations to remember a birth date: had he not died over 44 years ago, my dad (A.H., a medic in service for the WW2 Allies) would be 100-years-old today and Adolph Hitler (notorious leader of the Axis) would be 29; tomorrow will be the centennial of Baron M. von Richthoffen's demise.


8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 7676
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:27 am
Location: NH, USA

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby 511Flyer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 am

Hitler would be 29?

QE11 has a birthday tomorrow, which I share with her.

Den.
511Flyer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:56 am

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Fozzer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 am

If my dear old Dad was still alive he would be 118 years old now (1900-1989).
...and my dear old Mum would be 113 years old now (1905- 1989).

...and I want to keep on going for a lot longer yet...

...lots more folks to annoy!.... ;) ....!

...more things to do, and places to go!... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 31890
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby FlexibleFlier » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 am

My father would be 114 on May 28th. An American, he was stationed at Bletchley Park and was, among other things, a "back-door" liaison between Churchill and Roosevelt, for which he was awarded the Legion of Merit. The people of that ghastly era were made of very stern stuff, eh?
FlexibleFlier
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:17 am

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm

First, I'd best correct my typo: the "one" is missing in front of Hitler's age, he'd now be 129.
Fozzer wrote:...and I want to keep on going for a lot longer yet...
...lots more folks to annoy!...
...more things to do, and places to go!...
I'm in the struggle just to make it past your age -- in fact, I'll first have to make it to my dad's sister's age and their dad's (both died died at age 78 although my grandfather was almost 79 and died with colon cancer). And I'm busy just annoying myself.

FlexibleFlier wrote:My father would be 114 on May 28th. An American, he was stationed at Bletchley Park and was, among other things, a "back-door" liaison between Churchill and Roosevelt, for which he was awarded the Legion of Merit. The people of that ghastly era were made of very stern stuff, eh?
The grandfather I mentioned above was born on May 27th, 1882.
Those of the WWII era have sometimes been called 'the great generation'.



8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 7676
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:27 am
Location: NH, USA

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:02 pm

H wrote:Not the best associations to remember a birth date:... tomorrow will be the centennial of Baron M. von Richthoffen's demise.
8-)


Here's a little coincidence for you... The Baron was born on my birthday, May 2nd and he was killed on my wife's birthday April 21st.
Image

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
User avatar
Hawkeye07
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm
Location: Landlocked in the Midwest USA at KAXN

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby H » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:Here's a little coincidence for you... The Baron was born on my birthday, May 2nd and he was killed on my wife's birthday April 21st.
Thank you for reminding me with some further coincidence; today is the birth date of a cousin now in Norway -- but she and I have a mutual cousin whose birth date is May 2, then his sister's is May 8. Got to get some greetings out.


8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 7676
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 1:27 am
Location: NH, USA

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 am

H wrote:
Hawkeye07 wrote:Here's a little coincidence for you... The Baron was born on my birthday, May 2nd and he was killed on my wife's birthday April 21st.
Thank you for reminding me with some further coincidence; today is the birth date of a cousin now in Norway -- but she and I have a mutual cousin whose birth date is May 2, then his sister's is May 8. Got to get some greetings out.
8-)


I also have a cousin who was born on May 2nd. Weird thing is he was supposed to be born on May 11th and my youngest brother was supposed to be born on my birthday of May2nd. Somehow those two crossed paths and did an exact switch and my brother was born on the 11th. :think:
Image

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
User avatar
Hawkeye07
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm
Location: Landlocked in the Midwest USA at KAXN

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Fozzer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 am

I was born in the Borough of Lambeth, in the City of London, England, on March the 2nd, 1934, to the delight of my Mum and Dad........

...and the whole World rejoiced!..... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 31890
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Fozzer wrote:I was born in the Borough of Lambeth, in the City of London, England, on March the 2nd, 1934, to the delight of my Mum and Dad........

...and the whole World rejoiced!..... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ....!


And every March 2nd since then there has been a celebration to mark that glorious event. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Image

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
User avatar
Hawkeye07
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm
Location: Landlocked in the Midwest USA at KAXN

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Fozzer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:17 am

Hawkeye07 wrote:
Fozzer wrote:I was born in the Borough of Lambeth, in the City of London, England, on March the 2nd, 1934, to the delight of my Mum and Dad........

...and the whole World rejoiced!..... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ....!


And every March 2nd since then there has been a celebration to mark that glorious event. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:


...."Lest we forget"....

2nd day of March.
Remembrance Day. Celebrated in Simviation every year.....

...(I make sure of that!)..... ;) ... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
User avatar
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 31890
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:11 pm
Location: Hereford. England. EGBS.

Re: 100 Years Ago or more...

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 am

Fozzer wrote:...."Lest we forget"....

2nd day of March.
Remembrance Day. Celebrated in Simviation every year.....

...(I make sure of that!)..... ;) ... ;) ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!


:lol: :lol: :lol: :dance:
Image

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
User avatar
Hawkeye07
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm
Location: Landlocked in the Midwest USA at KAXN


Return to History

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 278 guests