April 6, 1917

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

April 6, 1917

Postby Apex » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

from Wikipedia:

After the sinking of seven US merchant ships by submarines and the publication of the Zimmermann telegram, [President] Wilson called for war on Germany, which the US Congress declared on 6 April 1917.

The Zimmermann Telegram was a secret diplomatic communication issued from the German Foreign Office in January 1917 that proposed a military alliance between Germany, Mexico and Japan in the event of the United States entering World War I against Germany. Mexico would be given Texas, Arizona and New Mexico. The proposal was intercepted and decoded by British intelligence. Revelation of the contents enraged American public opinion, especially after the German Foreign Secretary Arthur Zimmermann publicly admitted the telegram was genuine on 3 March, and helped generate support for the United States declaration of war on Germany in April. The decryption was described as the most significant intelligence triumph for Britain during World War I,and one of the earliest occasions on which a piece of signals intelligence influenced world events.
Apex
Major
Major

Re: April 6, 1917

Postby Shadowcaster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks for posting that, very interesting.

Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Apex » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:13 pm

from Wikipedia:

The sinking [of the RMS Lusitania two years earlier in May 1915] caused a storm of protest in the United States as 128 American citizens were among the dead. The sinking helped shift public opinion in the United States against Germany, and was a factor in the United States' declaration of war nearly two years later.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby H » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:28 am

Past experience indicates we should make the distinction due to some people's confusion with WWII. Since the United States backed his opponent in, effectively, a Mexican civil war, Pancho Villa invaded the United States. To retaliate, the U.S. invaded Mexico to apprehend Pancho Villa (a failed attempt). This caused a rather shaky relationship since Mexico, one of the greatest oil producers of WWI, now feared further U.S. invasion but remained a neutral country. Japan, however, did declare war -- joining the allies.

8-)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Shadowcaster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Some more information here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38581861

Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Return to History