A little bit of History....

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

A little bit of History....

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:53 am

...which I always find fascinating....

Pocahontas!...>>>

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... ars-listed

A lovely Lady...

I named my wooden Canadian Canoe after her!

The early English settlers from London, England, to form a colony in Jamestown, Virginia, North America, in the year 1606, and the meeting with the indigenous Indians, often resulting in conflict.

http://www.historyisfun.org/jamestown-s ... jamestown/

Gives an insight into some of the early Settlers into what is now called the USA!

Paul...I love History!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: A little bit of History....

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:01 pm

My goodness, Paul!

You should know what an "indigenous Indian" looks like, it should be someone from the British Empire!

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 pm

I have always, (and still do), found it confusing why North American/Native Americans are called; "Indians", in common with another group of people, unlikely related, on the other side of the World!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Am ... ted_States

Someone, somewhere, decided to call them "Indians"... :? ....!

Paul...The Mostly Confused... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Apex » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 am

Doesn't the tale go that Columbus thought he landed in India? So if Columbus knew where he was, what would they have then been called? "Nativo" is the word for native in both Italian and Spanish. "Nativos" would have been OK and more proper. Some Native Americans now prefer "Native American", altho "Indians" is not derogatory.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

Another of my questions answered by Google.... :think: .....:

The naming of; "America"..>>>

"America was named after Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci"

"The name America was first recorded in 1507 (together with the related term Amerigen) in the Cosmographiae Introductio, apparently written by Matthias Ringmann, in reference to South America.[20] It first applied to both North and South America by Gerardus Mercator in 1538. Amerigen means "land of Amerigo" and derives from Amerigo and gen, the accusative case of Ancient Greek gē "earth". America accorded with the feminine names of Asia, Africa, and Europa.[21]

In modern English, North and South America are generally considered separate continents, and taken together are called the Americas in the plural, parallel to similar situations such as the Carolinas. When conceived as a unitary continent, the form is generally the continent of America in the singular. However, without a clarifying context, singular America in English commonly refers to the United States of America.[6]

In some countries of the world (including France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Romania, Greece, and the countries of Latin America), America is considered a continent encompassing the North America and South America subcontinents,[22][23] as well as Central America."

The Full article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Paul.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to History