Operation Desert Storm

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Operation Desert Storm

Postby Webb » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:57 pm

Clicky

You have to kick down an enemy’s front door somehow, and in the case of Operation Desert Storm, a novel use of AH-64A Apache and MH-53J Special Operations Pave Low helicopters did just that for their fast-flying fighter jet comrades. The top-secret mission was dubbed Task Force Normandy, and it occurred 25 years ago today.

The thought that a critical portion of Iraq’s elaborate radar “fence” was blinded by helicopters seems strange in this day and age of stealthy standoff weaponry. But 25 years ago today, the choices for kicking open a hole in Iraq’s radar defenses weren’t so plentiful. The fact that these sites were located in the vast featureless desert along the border of Saudi Arabia and Iraq made the task even more challenging ...
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Operation Desert Storm

Postby Steve M » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:17 pm

Am I a bad person if I am interested in war? WW wars, Korean war, Vietnam, Iraq and the like. Studying the failures and the victories, but with great respect for the troops of course.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby C » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:17 pm

A good topic to bring up. Is it really 25 years?

I've been lucky enough to know some of those who went in with the RAF Tornado force on 17 January - at night, at ultra low level below radar cover to attack the Iraqi airbases - as instructors, colleagues and friends. Brave men all of them, and men who lost several friends out there in the Iraqi desert.

And if you wonder how low operational low level is...

After losing 5 Tornados to enemy fire in the airfield denial stage, thankfully most of the rest of the war was flown from medium level with Paveways.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Way too political - please get the message. NO POLITICS! (& this is politics more than history as it was such a controversial war)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Return to History