What if - Normandy?

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

What if - Normandy?

Postby Webb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:58 am

Link

Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.

Dwight Eisenhower
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: What if - Normandy?

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 am

Eisenhower had that speech prepared because many of his advisors thought the invasion only had about a 50:50 chance of success. Regardless, Germany was going to loose at that point no matter what. If they had delayed the inevitable they might have been the target for the first atom bomb.
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: What if - Normandy?

Postby Webb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:31 pm

Yes, we would have bombed the snot out of them but as we know from recent wars you can't win a war with air power alone.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to History