Operation Babylift

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Operation Babylift

Postby Webb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Operation Babylift was the name given to the mass evacuation of children from South Vietnam to the United States and other countries (including Australia, France, and Canada) at the end of the Vietnam War on April 3–26, 1975. By the final American flight out of South Vietnam, over 3,300 infants and children had been evacuated, although the actual number has been variously reported. Along with Operation New Life, over 110,000 refugees were evacuated from South Vietnam at the end of the Vietnam War. Thousands of children were airlifted from Vietnam and adopted by families around the world.

A C-5A Galaxy 68-0218 flew the initial mission of Operation Babylift to bring Vietnamese orphans to the US in the few remaining days before the Republic of Vietnam fell. The C-5 departed Saigon-Tan Son Nhut Airport shortly after 4 p.m. on April 4, 1975. Twelve minutes after takeoff, there was what seemed to be an explosion as the lower rear fuselage was torn apart. The locks of the rear loading ramp had failed, causing the door to open and separate. A rapid decompression occurred. Control and trim cables to the rudder and elevators were severed, leaving only one aileron and wing spoilers operating. Two of the four hydraulic systems were out. The crew wrestled at the controls, managing to keep control of the plane with changes in power settings by using the one working aileron and wing spoilers. The crew descended to an altitude of 4,000 feet on a heading of 310 degrees in preparation for landing on Tan Son Nhut's runway 25L. About halfway through a turn to final approach, the rate of descent increased rapidly. Seeing they couldn't make the runway, full power was applied to bring the nose up. The C-5 touched down in a rice paddy. Skidding for a quarter of a mile, the aircraft again became airborne for a half mile before hitting a dike and breaking into four parts, some of which caught fire. According to DIA figures, 138 people were killed in the crash, including 78 children and 35 Defense Attaché Office Saigon personnel.

The cause was ascribed to loss of flight control due to explosive decompression and structural failure. The accident marked the second operational loss and first fatal crash for the C-5 Galaxy fleet, and is the deadliest accident involving a U.S. military aircraft.

When American businessman Robert Macauley learned that it would take more than a week to evacuate the surviving orphans due to the lack of military transport planes, he chartered a Boeing 747 from Pan Am and arranged for 300 orphaned children to leave the country, paying for the trip by mortgaging his house.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Operation Babylift

Postby Jetranger » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:28 pm

My "Sources" report this event also , live News Reel from the Era !!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eC73rZPH3Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIHSgqS4u7c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuYaKVcYLyM[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Some people do not realize that when a war is lost or finished, things became worst than war: war is a bussiness but when it's over, famine arrives & repraisals galore. After WW II, Europe had a hard time reconstructing: no jobs, no food, no clothing but military uniforms that everybody was fed-up of'em to keep warm, well into the fifties. Money devaluation did not help either. Some people offer a hand when least expected.. friends sell you out too, but in general we were lucky: no one else but my mother, my father & older sister survived that ordeal. I have no cousins, uncles, aunts, grandfathers nor grandmothers, never even had a though about going back to Europe, ever :violin: :violin: :violin: I am too bussy surviving modern times in this continent.. but feeling at home & with a healthy family, that is priceless.
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby expat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:32 am

Jean Loup wrote:Some people do not realize that when a war is lost or finished, things became worst than war: war is a bussiness but when it's over, famine arrives & repraisals galore. After WW II, Europe had a hard time reconstructing: no jobs, no food, no clothing but military uniforms that everybody was fed-up of'em to keep warm, well into the fifties. Money devaluation did not help either. Some people offer a hand when least expected.. friends sell you out too, but in general we were lucky: no one else but my mother, my father & older sister survived that ordeal. I have no cousins, uncles, aunts, grandfathers nor grandmothers, never even had a though about going back to Europe, ever :violin: :violin: :violin: I am too bussy surviving modern times in this continent.. but feeling at home & with a healthy family, that is priceless.

That is a very sharp observation, Jean except I would say most people and not some people. However, I think that the Middle East "situation" is now a good example of this to the people.
Funny how you left Europe, I am a Brit who moved to Germany many years ago and this is now home for me.

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to History