From the Earth to the Moon (TV documentary)

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

From the Earth to the Moon (TV documentary)

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:31 am

The epic HBO miniseries. IMDb describes it as a "dramatized portrayal of the Apollo manned space program." Each episode is just under an hour.

Can We Do This?
Apollo One
We Have Cleared the Tower
1968 (Apollo 8 )
Spider
Mare Tranquilitatis
That's All There Is
We Interrupt This Program (Apollo 13)
For Miles and Miles
Galileo Was Right
The Original Wives Club
Le voyage dans la lune (Apollo 17)

I'm on the surface; and, as I take man's last step from the surface, back home for some time to come - but we believe not too long into the future - I'd like to just [say] what I believe history will record. That America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17.

Eugene Cernan, the last man on the Moon, December, 1972

Apollo 17 remains the most recent manned Moon landing and the last time humans have traveled beyond low Earth orbit.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: From the Earth to the Moon (TV documentary)

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:26 am

Webb wrote:
Eugene Cernan, the last man on the Moon, December, 1972

Apollo 17 remains the most recent manned Moon landing and the last time humans have travelled beyond low Earth orbit.[/quote]

Indicating, I suspect, that; "space travel" is still a very long way off?..... :think: ...!

Far too dangerous for we Humans, for all sorts of reasons, I reckon... ;) ..!

We were designed to be; "down here"... :D ...!

Paul....Travelling to Sainsbury's Superstore in a minute, by piston engine.... :mrgreen: ...!

The Store Manager says that Flag Planting is not allowed...
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:39 pm

After all of my efforts to create these links "Sorry The video has been removed by the user."
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:27 am

Crap, I can't even embed a YouTube video.

This nation should commit itself ...

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:00 am

I suspect that the Klingons and the Borg may be involved in this devious plot to prevent the Americans from deceiving the rest of us in claiming that they actually landed on the Moon..and planted a flag there!!!

The Klingons and Borgs technology is obviously much greater than ours!

We are still trying to figure out how to light the fuse on our Warp Drives... :think: ...!

Paul...Capricorn 1 Capricorn 2..... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 am

Here WEBB,,,, forget embedding, don't forget ya can now post the Video

just copy & paste the actual You Tube link from the web browser and then REMOVE - the S - out of the Https:

click on the YOU TUBE icon at the top of this message board

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvHldoh5JF0[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Such a pity that these days, in this country (US of A) anyway, we lack the political and commercial will to move forward and outward into space. We have the tech, and resources to have LaGrange colonies, both Earth-moon, and Earth-Sun, at the very least. We could, and should by now, have a thriving asteroid mining business operational, and at the very least lunar, if not Martian colonies. Instead, we let the space programs die aborning, and the entire program wither on the vine, so we can continue to waste money on useless and meaningless endevours. Nay-Say (Nasa) is a beurocratic joke, a morass with no real direction nor purpose. The shuttle program, a reasonable step, was let wither and die. The ISS (which America built and financed) is being converted to a Russian program.
Oh well. Until America wakes up, and stops paying people who don't want to work to not work, nothing will change, and the graveyard spiral will continue for us...
Pat
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Speed of flight » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 pm

A few years ago, I bought this entire mini-series on DVD. Well worth a view. One, maybe two episodes a night. It showcased American news reporting and the way it changed during this series of missions. Great work in research and good historic account. Highly recommended.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, NB & FSB @2608 MHz
AMD 8350 @ 5.02 GHz 1.524V (200.6 x 25)
Corsair H100i
16GB GSkill Trident @ 2133 MHz C10
Asus 7870 2 GB 1200core/5500mem
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
VRS Superbug/TacPack, Iris A-10A, PMDG 77W, 744 and MD-11
REX texture direct, FTX Global
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Webb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:06 am

Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ssw5aJyrk[/youtube]

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:21 pm

And if Buzz hadn't thought of jamming a pen into a broken off circuit breaker, Apollo 11 would be there still, with both astronauts aboard. It had gotten broken off during their movements about the cabin, probably by a back-pack unit. Not much room in the LEM. It was the breaker to arm the ascent motor, and without it the motor wouldn't fire. The president even had a very nice eulogy all written up for him, just in case...

Just one of those little side-notes history tends to gloss over.
Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:44 pm

PhantomTweak wrote:And if Buzz hadn't thought of jamming a pen into a broken off circuit breaker, Apollo 11 would be there still, with both astronauts aboard. It had gotten broken off during their movements about the cabin, probably by a back-pack unit. Not much room in the LEM. It was the breaker to arm the ascent motor, and without it the motor wouldn't fire. The president even had a very nice eulogy all written up for him, just in case...

Just one of those little side-notes history tends to gloss over.
Pat☺

Just like 'SCE to AUX' on 12, the LiOH canisters on 13 ('square peg in a round hole'), and the solder ball next to the LM's Abort Switch on 14...

IMHO the best segments from the Miniseries were 'We Have Cleared The Tower', 'Spider', 'That's All There Is', 'Galileo Was Right', and 'Le Voyage dans La Lune'.

To this day... it's the greatest technological feat Mankind has ever achieved.
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Webb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 pm

What do you expect when you launch 300 foot tall metal vehicles from the most lightning prone place in the world?

The Apollo 12 glitch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSN4MIsP_90[/youtube]

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 am

Apollo 8

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Return to History