The World at War (TV documentary)

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

The World at War (TV documentary)

Postby Webb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:38 am

Link

The acclaimed 26-episode WWII documentary "The World at War", produced by Thames Television and aired in 1973-1974, is available in full (clocking in at over 22 and a half hours).

I've always liked episode 9 - Stalingrad.

"Now it (the Sixth Army) has a new task. To fight further east than the Wermacht has ever fought before, to cut Russia in two on the Volga."

(Cue dramatic opening music)
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The World at War (TV documentary)

Postby Jetranger » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:11 am

I'm still stuck on the Movie , Kellys Hero's with Clint Eastwood and Telly Savalas and Donald Sutherland from 1969 :D :dance: :clap:
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Webb » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Here is something I didn't know.

Winston Churchill was 64 years old when the war started.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby H » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:23 am

Webb wrote:Here is something I didn't know.

Winston Churchill was 64 years old when the war started...
and 164 by the time it ended...
My dad was a medic in the U.S. Army... stress, lack of sleep and combat aged many fast -- and that's not even considering what happened with certain war prisoners...

8)
H
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 pm

A great series, and featuring everyone from Bert (down the pub in the East End o' London - "it was 5 to 5 in the evening, and I walked out onto the veranda - my veranda - and the sky was full o' planes"), to Albert Speer and Anthony Eden, Adolf Galland to Max Aitken. In a few episodes (it's been a while since I've run through them all) there are contributions from an American, long haired, (comparatively) young academic...

...30 years after it was made he was rather more famous, Stephen Ambrose having written a string of books on the war, one of which became the basis for the epic "Band of Brothers" miniseries.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby mustangaroo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Here goes. I do not know if this will upload but it is personal to me. My father at Hiroshima around Oct. of 45. He and a guy named Marcus Kelts were supposed to keep people out but took pictures of the carnage.. His uniform was confiscated by the 187th Aborne for duty in Hokaido in anticipation of Ruski troublemakers, hence his disheveled appearance. He is still kicking at 88 in the Great White North.
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:57 pm

WOW!! Thanks for posting the link Webb. World At War was one of my favorite series along with the Victory At Sea series and the TV show 12 O'clock High.

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to History