The war to end all war ends

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

The war to end all war ends

Postby Webb » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:55 pm

During August 1914, immediately after the outbreak of the World War I, British author and social commentator H. G. Wells published a number of articles in the London newspapers that subsequently appeared as a book entitled The War That Will End War. Wells blamed the Central Powers for the coming of the war, and argued that only the defeat of German militarism could bring about an end to war. Wells used the shorter form, "the war to end war", in In the Fourth Year (1918), where he noted that the phrase had "got into circulation" in the second half of 1914. In fact, it had become one of the most common catchphrases of the war.

Armistice Day (which coincides with Remembrance Day and Veterans Day, public holidays) is commemorated every year on 11 November to mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918.

Marshal Ferdinand Foch declared "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years". His words proved prophetic: the Second World War started twenty years and 65 days later.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The war to end all war ends

Postby Steve M » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 pm

WW1 And WW2 together should be called the Great war. As you've stated there was no definitive end to the first war. Russia, Italy, Germany and Japan spent the twenty years between, building military prowess while The USA and England were cutting military spending in an effort to recover.
But along came 1929 in the US and the stockmarket crash, dragging the world economy down with it.
Really I think it was a big mistake to try to stave off war and not preparing for it. Enter part two of the "The Great War".
In those 30 odd years about 100 million lives were lost.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Two thousand plus years later, and Vegetius is still right;

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Those who won't kill, will always be under the heel and in servitude to those who will...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you want peace, prepare for war!
(4 years of High School Latin finally pays off!)

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Return to History