Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Postby Webb » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:56 pm

The date on which the Wall fell is considered to have been 9 November 1989, but the Wall in its entirety was not torn down immediately. Starting that evening and in the days and weeks that followed, people came to the wall with various tools to chip off souvenirs, demolishing lengthy parts of it in the process and creating several unofficial border crossings. These people were nicknamed "Mauerspechte" (wall woodpeckers).
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Postby Webb » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 pm

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:46 am

...and 25 years later, Mr Gorbachev warns, yet again, on the same subject...>>>

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/mi ... _wall_fall

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby expat » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:28 am

And 25 years later I am still paying solidarity tax......................After being told by the politicians of the day we would only pay for a year.............!
I regularly work in the deepest East, I really have to wonder what the money is still being spent on...

Matt
"A bit of a pickle" - British translation: A catastrophically bad situation with potentially fatal consequences.

PETA Image People Eating Tasty Animals.

B1 (Cat C) licenced engineer, Boeing 737NG 600/700/800/900 Airbus A318/19/20/21 and Dash8 Q-400
1. Captain, if the problem is not entered into the technical logbook.........then the aircraft does not have a problem.
2. And, if you have time to write the fault on a napkin and attach to it to the yoke.........you have time to write it in the tech log....see point 1.
expat
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby jcj78 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:53 am

And 25 years later some people pretend that the reason the wall fell is because Ronald Reagan said it should.........

I guess when you don't have any real accomplishments, your rabid supporters are desperate to credit you with anything.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics, that a man's reasoning powers are not above a monkey's. - Mark Twain
jcj78
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to History