Mystery of Amelia Earhart Solved? Fragment From Missing Plan

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Mystery of Amelia Earhart Solved? Fragment From Missing Plan

Postby jcj78 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mys ... ar-BBbVCrA

Researchers at The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR) revealed that a piece from Amelia Earhart’s vanished aircraft has been identified in Nikumaroro, an atoll in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati..............................
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics, that a man's reasoning powers are not above a monkey's. - Mark Twain
jcj78
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Mystery of Amelia Earhart Solved? Fragment From Missing

Postby Tug002 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:04 am

Thank you for the post. I enjoyed the article and hope that there is more to come.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
Tug002
Captain
Captain

Postby Flying Trucker » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:46 am

Thanks for the interesting Link "jcj78"...glad to see they will do a follow up on the find... ;)
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ftldave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 am

Well, don't believe everything a group looking for funding may tell you. I'm not buying the TIGHAR group's "could be-might be" claims. More likely they're fishing for funding to pay for their trips to the South Pacific, sorry to say.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Apex » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 am

Time will tell.

Click on the last word ("patch") in the 2nd paragraph to see the Miami Herald file photos taken in Miami at that time.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 am

I really hope that they are on to something positive in the search but I don't think this is the piece they suspect it is.
The horizontal rivet pattern doesn't make sense for a simple window patch, SEE PHOTO 1. Five rows and no vertical rows where the patch would be fastened to the frames? The horizontal rows are also spaced too close together to be consistent with the stringers as shown in PHOTO 2. I say it doesn't match the plans and the Electra's structure as reported in the article, no way. The next sentence confirms it by stating that it was a "field modification". Field modifications by their very nature are not part of the original plans and blueprints of an aircraft.
PHOTO 3 does indeed show a patch/covering over the aft window and again looking at PHOTO 2 it would be rather large because it probably would have gone beyond the window framework. If I was installing a patch like that I would certainly avoid tampering with the framework because that's a high stress area and it's beefed up structure. Altering that would complicate the eventual permanent repair of the window.
I hope it really is a part of her plane; I just don't think it's the window patch.

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:14 pm

I found some more info via the original posted article that I find interesting. The cutout I mentioned above is not in the photo of the spot where the patch was discovered (SEE PHOTOS BELOW) so someone cut a piece off after it was found. The second photo below again shows the inconsistencies in the rivet pattern claimed to be an exact match.
So does my assessment seem logical or am I full of S**t? :doh:

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to History