The Star-Spangled Banner

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

The Star-Spangled Banner

Postby Webb » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 pm

O Say Can You See? Celebrating 200 years of 'The Star-Spangled Banner'

“O say can you see . . . ?” is the famous question Francis Scott Key asked 200 years ago when he wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner,” our national anthem.

What comes to mind when you hear those lyrics? How do they stir your patriotic soul? Key wanted you to see what he saw, hear what he heard and feel what he felt. O say, can you?

We can remember that the British military burned the White House and U.S. Capitol on Aug. 24, 1814. British Rear Admiral George Cockburn, who set Washington ablaze, believed there wasn’t a “place on the seaboard which can hold out any length of time.” How wrong he was.

We can remember that 15,000 men – white, black, young and old – gathered in Baltimore three weeks later to stop the British invasion. They built ramparts and barriers to gallantly defend their city, state and nation.

Knowing that Key witnessed the attack while being held captive by the enemy helps us understand his emotions. He had boarded a British ship to negotiate the release of a U.S. war prisoner. Alexander Cochrane, the commanding British admiral, agreed to free the man, but he wouldn’t let them leave until after the redcoats attacked Baltimore.

“After discussing so freely our preparation and plans, you could hardly expect us to let you go on shore in advance of us,” Cochrane explained.

We can picture Key stuck on board, surrounded by ships flying the British flag. We can feel his worry as the twilight’s last gleaming faded to black.

“To make my feelings still more acute, the admiral had intimated his fears that the town must be burned, and . . . it would have been given up to plunder . . . It was filled with women and children,” Key worried.

We can sense his suspense on Sept. 13 as he watched bombs and rockets fly from the British ships toward Baltimore’s star-shaped Fort McHenry. We can feel the uneasy silence when the bombs stopped at dawn, after 25 hours, and the small U.S. storm flag disappeared from the fort.

What would replace it? A white flag of surrender? A British flag? We can feel Key’s relief when the broad stripes and bright stars of a giant U.S. flag measuring 30 by 42 feet soared to the top. Not only was Baltimore safe, but America was also secure. The home of the brave would remain the land of free.

With proof that our flag was still there, poetic phrases poured from the Maryland attorney’s pen. When Key arrived in Baltimore two days later, he’d written the lyrics to “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

When sight becomes a gift of beauty and hope, it is called insight. That’s what Key had come to see. Through newspapers, Americans soon discovered his song, which became an anthem for the ages.

Yet, as much as we can picture what Key experienced back then, we can see today what he couldn’t see but hoped would happen. The U.S. flag has waved for 200 years since, surviving a Civil War and two world wars. It saw civil rights march and win; it soared to the moon; it watched a cold war crumble.

Key’s genius is that his patriotic lyrics transcend time. We can apply them to life today as easily as he applied them in 1814.

His words move us. They unite us. And best of all, they have the power to outlast us.

O say can you see . . .? As we celebrate “The Star-Spangled Banner’s” 200th anniversary, we can see that for sure.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: The Star-Spangled Banner

Postby Apex » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:16 pm

Key wrote the lyrics, then, per Wikipedia, "The poem was set to the tune of a popular British song written by John Stafford Smithhen." The lyrics fit the tune.

It's a good anthem, lyrics and music. I seem to recall reading online somewhere sometime ago thoughts about ditching it in favor of something else; can't imagine what.
I vehemently disagree with that. I like it, it's just fine.

As usual, lots of facts on Wikipedia. Check it out.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Visitor66 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi there, it seems ironic now that Francis Scott Key had English parents, whilst Rear Admiral George Cockburn and Major General Robert Ross,

the men who burned Washington, were from Scottish and Irish families respectively. Those two countries still supply most of the leaders of our military

and governments and yet the majority of bad press is aimed at the "English". I think they're probably used to it by now and it's water off a ducks back.

Congratulations on the 200 years!

Cheers, For Danglia. :clap:
......Happy trails, Laurie.....
Visitor66
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I'm glad you mentioned the 'Burning of the White House" in 1814 by the British, who were chased all the way to New Orleans. They had no bullets left, so had a long way to run with the yankees in hot pursuit. A truce and cease fire was called, which the British observed, but the Yankees didn't. As Max Boyce would say, "A shame really. It was only a prank."
logjam
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 am

If you chaps are going to start throwing tea in the river AGAIN, I'll be very cross :-D
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pegger » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Curiously, although the british tried to burn down the white house, they were not terribly succesful because of the stone construction used.

Now on the other hand, when the americans tried to burn down the capitil building of theBrits, located in York (now downtown Toronto), the wood frame building went up like a matchstick! All that remains on the site today is a car wash (aptly named "Capitol car wash" if i'm not mistaken)!
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to History