D-Day, In Case of Failure

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

D-Day, In Case of Failure

Postby Webb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 pm

Here's The Chilling Letter General Eisenhower Drafted In Case The Nazis Won On D-Day

General Eisenhower had doubts in the face of a "well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened" enemy. If the invasion of Normandy failed, this is the message he would have relayed to the public.

Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that Bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!" - Sen. John Blutarsky

You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I don't understand what's gone wrong with it. - George Hanson, 1969

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

Jim
Webb
Major
Major

Re: D-Day, In Case of Failure

Postby PhantomTweak » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:46 am

Wow! Whatta General, willing to take the blame like that!
No wonder he got elected in a landslide victory...
Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Strategic Retreat » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:31 am

But... wasn't there a complete dearth of means to withdraw the troops? Historically that day has always been depicted as the day a lot of courageous men were sent on a one way travel towards either victory or death.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby PhantomTweak » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:50 am

If they got them TO the beaches, they could take them OFF the beaches...Same Landing Craft, just hit reverse and back away when as full as full could be...

Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Return to History